• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Attacks on Adobe Intensify

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
The flaws disclosed last week in Adobe System's Reader and Acrobat programs have been used to exploit computers since at least January via malicious banner advertisements, security analysts are reporting. Adobe issued patches last Wednesday for Reader and Acrobat, but the company did not detail the flaws. Problems with Adobe's software can potentially affect millions of PC users, since the company's software is widely used to read PDF (Portable Document Format) files. Most people regard PDFs as harmless. "From our standpoint, it appears that this PDF-based attack has been quite successful, affecting many thousands of users throughout the world," wrote Hon Lau on Symantec's Security Response Weblog. Greg McManus of iDefense Labs, the security arm of VeriSign, reported one of the vulnerabilities to Adobe in October, according to a post by the SANS Institute, a computer security organization.

Since hackers have been apparently using the Adobe flaws since January, it raises the question how they discovered the flaw.

Lau wrote that the "swiftness of the exploit appearing in the wild suggests that leaks had occurred."

However, it appears that the vulnerabilities in Reader and Acrobat were disclosed in a responsible way, Lau wrote.

The flaws in the programs allow a hacker to create a malicious PDF document. If opened by a victim, that document downloads a malicious Trojan that Symantec calls "Zonebac."

Zonebac was first detected in 2006. It shuts off a user's security software as well as downloads other bad software. The latest version also appears to taint search engine results, Lau wrote.

In January, iDefense noticed that the malicious PDF document was being delivered through malicious banner advertisements. Symantec's Lau wrote that it's not immediately clear how the PDF file is delivered, but that the banner ads could be redirecting people to other harmful Web sites with the file. Also, spam messages may be carrying the bad file as an attachment.

Malicious banner ads can be particularly dangerous since the ads can show up on legitimate Web sites. Online advertising companies have struggled to keep these ads off their networks. Sometimes, hackers will approach the networks with what is a legitimate ad and then substitute it for a malicious one. Many of those bad ads have exploited vulnerabilities in Adobe's Flash multimedia technology.

Adobe's Reader and Acrobat are designed to regularly look for updates, but users are advised to upgrade to the patched version, 8.1.2.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
If I remember, "banner based ads" that suffer from these security issues, are for ACROBAT 7 and 8 only. Acrobat 6 does not have a banner ad feature.

My tip: uninstall and replace with ACROBAT 6. No banner ads with 6.

PS... I am DELIGHTED that adobe has egg on its face after selling its users short through this banner-ad crap.

System Name My Box
Processor Core I7 4790
Motherboard Asrock Z97 Anniversary
Cooling Alpenfohn Ben Nevis
Memory 16 GB DDR3 1600, Dual channel
Video Card(s) Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core Edition
Storage SSD OCZ Arc 120 GB, WD Blue 1 TB, WD Blue 1 TB
Display(s) HP Pavilion 27xi IPS LED Backlit
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Sabre 24/96 DAC
Power Supply LDLC XT-650P 80+ Platinum
Mouse A4 Tech Basic
Keyboard Microsoft Comfort Curve
Software Win 10 Pro X64
My tip: Uninstall Acrobat reader altogether and look for a freeware replacement. There are at least two pretty good ones out there.

Adobe is slowly turning into what I call a "virus" type company. Their programs install so much crap on your machine, that it's definitely safer to skip them whenever possible (Yahoo anyone ?)

IIRC there was a scandal involving Creativity Suite 3 recently. People complained that the program phones a web tracking company that my HOSTS file lists as malicious and to which it denies access. Get the Hosts file from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm , it's the best thing that ever happened to safe browsing :)

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Does this exploit effect Foxit PDF Reader users as well?