• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Audeze LCD-2 Classic (2021) Planar Magnetic Headphones

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Audeze. The legendary LCD-2 re-imagined: Those utterances alone suffice to generate enough interest in the $800 planar magnetic bass-heavy LCD-2 Classic, which goes with a more eco-friendly construction and has amp-friendly power requirements as it aims to deliver a satisfying Audeze experience for well under a thousand bucks.

Show full review

System Name C₂H₅OH
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Alphacool Core 1 Black
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E GENE
Cooling Custom loop - MO-RA3 420 & 360 Pro - Heatkiller 200 & 150 D5 pump/res combo
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB F5-8000J4048F24GX2 8GHz 36-44-44
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X Alphacool block
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB - Intel 660 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Asus PG27AQDM 240Hz OLED
Case Streacom BC1 Silver
Audio Device(s) Topping DX7Pro - Topping A90 - Hifiman Ananda - Focal Elear - Focal Radiance - Adam A5X & Adam Sub 7
Power Supply Corsair HX1200
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Ducky One 2 SF White MX Speed Silver / Logitech MX Mechanical
Software Windows 11 Pro
Yeah I had one for a while two-three years ago and I totally agree with the sound signature. It's a wall of sound that's warm and pretty bass heavy and picking out an instrument is, well, not great. It's pretty nice for movies though! I sold it simply because there are headphones that offer a more balanced sound whilst still retaining most of the good characteristics for the same price. Another reason was the headband, that was one of the most annoying things ever on my noggin'. I always got a hotspot of pressure on my head that was easily resolved by creating new mounting holes in the headband. After that the comfort was great even though they weigh a ton (not as much as my LCD-XC though :p).

It's fun to see you guys do the occasional headphone review, keep 'em coming!

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Yeah I had one for a while two-three years ago and I totally agree with the sound signature. It's a wall of sound that's warm and pretty bass heavy and picking out an instrument is, well, not great. It's pretty nice for movies though! I sold it simply because there are headphones that offer a more balanced sound whilst still retaining most of the good characteristics for the same price. Another reason was the headband, that was one of the most annoying things ever on my noggin'. I always got a hotspot of pressure on my head that was easily resolved by creating new mounting holes in the headband. After that the comfort was great even though they weigh a ton (not as much as my LCD-XC though :p).

It's fun to see you guys do the occasional headphone review, keep 'em coming!
Speaking of XC, guess what is coming in tomorrow?

System Name C₂H₅OH
Cooling Custom loop - MO-RA3 420 & 360 Pro - Heatkiller 200 & 150 D5 pump/res combo
Case Streacom BC1 Silver
Audio Device(s) Topping DX7Pro - Topping A90 - Hifiman Ananda - Focal Elear - Focal Radiance - Adam A5X & Adam Sub 7
Software Windows 11 Pro
Speaking of XC, guess what is coming in tomorrow?
You've got to be kidding me :roll: Get a half decent amplifier and that's about enough, they're not hard to properly drive. I did try it on a older phone for giggles and lows were not great. How about giving HiFiMan a tickle and kindly ask them to loan you an Ananda? I've had several of their headphones as well and the Ananda is probably my favourite headphone so far. The fit is so awesomely good, I can wear them for hours.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
You've got to be kidding me :roll: Get a half decent amplifier and that's about enough, they're not hard to properly drive. I did try it on a older phone for giggles and lows were not great. How about giving HiFiMan a tickle and kindly ask them to loan you an Ananda? I've had several of their headphones as well and the Ananda is probably my favourite headphone so far. The fit is so awesomely good, I can wear them for hours.
Frederik has already covered many of the HiFiMan headphones very well here on behalf of TechPowerUp, so that means I can't get my hands on them easily unfortunately.

His Ananda review: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/hifiman-ananda/

His Ananda BT review: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/hifiman-ananda-bt/

I'll do the LCD-XC, and I've already submitted the Euclid review for patreon subscribers which anyone can read a preview of (link's on the home page).

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Frederik has already covered many of the HiFiMan headphones very well here on behalf of TechPowerUp, so that means I can't get my hands on them easily unfortunately.

His Ananda review: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/hifiman-ananda/

His Ananda BT review: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/hifiman-ananda-bt/

I'll do the LCD-XC, and I've already submitted the Euclid review for patreon subscribers which anyone can read a preview of (link's on the home page).

I have heard the Ananda and Jade II. For $1500 I thought Jade II was very overpriced, I actually didn't like it at all.

The Ananda however is my all time favorite headphone... though its out of my price range so I don't own it... the female vocals on it were so good it made me shiver.

My daily drivers are the more affordable HD58X. I love them too.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I have heard the Ananda and Jade II. For $1500 I thought Jade II was very overpriced, I actually didn't like it at all.

The Ananda however is my all time favorite headphone... though its out of my price range so I don't own it... the female vocals on it were so good it made me shiver.

I still have my first set of headphones, the HD598, I bought after having saved a lot for it. It's still in my rotation, especially when I just want to chill and have a lightweight, comfortable solution. There's nothing wrong with what you're enjoying, just have fun.

System Name C₂H₅OH
Case Streacom BC1 Silver
Software Windows 11 Pro

Yikes, that Jade II is mighty expensive o_O And I get what you mean about the female vocals, goosebumps. Best part for me is the comfort overall. And the HD598 and HD58X are an extremely good value propositions, just like the Beyerdynamic DT770 and DT990 though you do have to like their sound signature.

just have fun.
Exactly, that's what it is about. Many seem to forget that in the audio space, sadly. Never forget that every ear is unique, same goes for the brain.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
LCD-XC is in the house btw:

IMG_6651.jpg
IMG_6658.jpg
IMG_6665.jpg

System Name C₂H₅OH
Case Streacom BC1 Silver
Software Windows 11 Pro

Attachments

• 7CB0755B-874D-47F5-83D7-CABE9F63F9FB.jpg
    7CB0755B-874D-47F5-83D7-CABE9F63F9FB.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 90
  • A4EBB4EA-3689-4841-9C12-201D1EB671F9.jpg
    A4EBB4EA-3689-4841-9C12-201D1EB671F9.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 81

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Oh wow, pretty. Looks like some sort of Creator edition (if they still call it the same) with the carbon fiber finish on the cups, quite a bit different than mine. And the pelican case is such awesome overkill, love it :roll:
There are no wood cups now, only real carbon fiber cups. The case is also new and, in fact, even the pads are new with options of leather and leather-free bands and pads as is the driver setup itself with a different fazor setup and magnet layout. I will refer to these as the LCD-XC (2021) henceforth since things are quite different from before.

This is indeed the Creator Pack, which is the cheaper option now. There's a more expensive Premium Pack too with the actual Audeze/Pelican case in addition to another cable etc. There will be an eventual review of this too!

Some more photos:
Outdoor 1.jpg
IMG_6670.jpg
IMG_6693.jpg

IMG_6681.jpg
IMG_6687.jpg
IMG_6679.jpg

IMG_6701.jpg
IMG_6703.jpg
IMG_6712.jpg

System Name C₂H₅OH
Case Streacom BC1 Silver
Software Windows 11 Pro
Those are some sexy close-ups, good camera :D I can see they changed a lot compared to the older designs, really wonder how they sound compared to mine. These headphones are a bit special to me since I had to use legal expenses insurance (don't really know that it's called in English; rechtsbijstandverzekering) to get mine. It took me almost half a year of BS excuses to get mine. Nevertheless, they have their own unique sound.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Those are some sexy close-ups, good camera :D I can see they changed a lot compared to the older designs, really wonder how they sound compared to mine. These headphones are a bit special to me since I had to use legal expenses insurance (don't really know that it's called in English; rechtsbijstandverzekering) to get mine. It took me almost half a year of BS excuses to get mine. Nevertheless, they have their own unique sound.
From everything I have seen, the latest LCD-X and XC are much better tuned out of the box to where EQ isn't needed to make the most of them. But if you EQ the older versions, it will be basically the same. The changes are in the driver magnet configuration, fazor guides, and also different pads used (both leather and leather-free).

System Name C₂H₅OH
Case Streacom BC1 Silver
Software Windows 11 Pro
From everything I have seen, the latest LCD-X and XC are much better tuned out of the box to where EQ isn't needed to make the most of them. But if you EQ the older versions, it will be basically the same. The changes are in the driver magnet configuration, fazor guides, and also different pads used (both leather and leather-free).
If Audeze in their infinite wisdom hadn't decided to GLUE the pads I might have changed them. I mean, that's just not needed, just take a look at some of the other manufacturers! Besides that, glad some EQ can make up for that :p

• Haha

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
If Audeze in their infinite wisdom hadn't decided to GLUE the pads I might have changed them. I mean, that's just not needed, just take a look at some of the other manufacturers! Besides that, glad some EQ can make up for that :p
Yeah the glued pads aren't the best..