• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Audeze Releases New Maxwell Wireless Gaming Headset for PCs and Consoles

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Audeze, the leading audio technology brand and pioneer of high-end gaming audio products, today announces Maxwell, a new ultra-low-latency wireless PC & console gaming headset with class-leading 80+ hours of battery life. Two versions of Maxwell will be available: Maxwell for Xbox & PC is officially licensed by Microsoft and includes the first auto-activating Dolby Atmos license, while Maxwell for Playstation & PC supports Tempest 3D Audio. Maxwell is the latest release from Audeze in a line of purpose-built gaming headsets like the LCD-GX and Mobius which have garnered rave reviews for their innovations in audio performance and headtracking.

Connect and game anywhere, without limitations. Maxwell provides ultra-low-latency, high-resolution audio up to 24-bit 96 kHz when connected to the included USB dongle. Low-latency wireless range and stability are improved up to 3X from the award-winning Audeze Penrose headset. Maxwell features many wired and wireless connection options including the latest Bluetooth 5.3 LE Audio technology, supporting the LC3 and LC3plus codecs. In addition, Maxwell supports classic Bluetooth codecs like SBC, AAC and LDAC for high-quality portable audio. Maxwell also supports lossless high-resolution audio up to 24-bit 96 kHz over wired USB.

Audeze brings its proprietary lag-free A.I. powered noise filtration to Maxwell for crystal-clear communication in any environment (this was pioneered with Audeze's FILTER Speakerphone - one of Time Magazine's Best Inventions of 2022). The hardware based A.I. system automatically eliminates background noise at the touch of a button, with no additional software or setup required. Friends and teammates will never miss your banter and call-outs thanks to five built-in microphones and a detachable boom mic (designed by our friends at Shure!).

Maxwell delivers studio-quality sound and lifelike, powerful dynamics with Audeze's latest planar magnetic drivers. These made-in-California, 90 mm planar magnetic drivers have 3X more surface area than competitor's drivers for incredible sonic detail, authority, and impact. Maxwell's chassis, featuring a spring-steel headband with an adjustable suspension strap is built for greater comfort over long gaming sessions. The earcups feature a reinforced dual-chamber design for class-leading passive noise isolation.

Maxwell combines the best of both worlds for PCs and Consoles by adding support for features like Game-Chat mix, advanced gaming presets, personalized multi-band EQ etc. Maxwell also comes with Audeze HQ gaming app that gives users access to a wide range of customizable features. Maxwell for Playstation will retail for $299 and Maxwell for Xbox will retail for $329 and comes with a Dolby Atmos license. Both versions support Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and Nintendo Switch. The first shipments are expected later in January.

Maxwell Specifications:
Physical
  • Style: Over-ear (circumaural), closed-back
  • Transducer Type: Planar Magnetic
  • Transducer Size: 90 mm
  • Diaphragm Type: Ultra-Thin Uniforce
  • Magnetic Structure: Fluxor Magnet Array
  • Magnet Type: Neodymium N50
  • Phase Management: Fazor
  • Earpads: Synthetic Leather / memory foam
  • Weight: 490 g

Microphones
  • Boom Microphone: Detachable Hypercardioid, Designed by Shure
  • Beamforming Microphones: Inbuilt 5-mic array for convenience and noise reduction.
  • A.I.-Powered Hardware Noise Filter removes unwanted noise

Audio Performance
  • Frequency response: 10 Hz-50 kHz
  • THD: <0.1% (@ 1 kHz, 1 mW)

Power
Battery: Lithium-polymer, 1800 mAh
Battery Life: 80+ hour wireless playback @ 80 dBA
Charging: USB-C, 5 V 1.8 A max
Charge time: 0-100% in 2.5 hr, 0-25% in 20 min (with 1.8 A charger)

Connectivity
  • Ultra Low Latency Wireless: When used with included USB-C dongle
  • Bluetooth: 5.3, supports multipoint, LE Audio, LC3, LC3plus, LDAC, AAC, SBC
  • Wired USB: USB-C, PC connection supports dual USB audio endpoints with inbuilt game-chat mix
  • Wired: 3.5 mm TRRS active analog

Compatibility
  • Xbox edition: XBox Series X, XBox Series S, Windows 10/11, macOS, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch
  • Playstation edition: Playstation 5, Windows 10/11, macOS, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch

For more information on the Audeze Maxwell, visit the website at www.audeze.com.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name My Addiction
Processor AMD Ryzen 7950X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi
Cooling Alphacool Core Ocean T38 AIO 240mm
Memory G.Skill 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XTX
Storage Some SSDs
Display(s) 42" Samsung TV + 22" Dell monitor vertically
Case Lian Li A4-H2O
Audio Device(s) Denon + Bose
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Glorious
VR HMD None
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores None taken
Maxwell for Playstation will retail for $299 and Maxwell for Xbox will retail for $39 and comes with a Dolby Atmos license.
I doubt the Xbox version will retail for $39... :p

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity² DDC 4.2 PWM / Alphacool Monsta 2×180mm / EK P240M
Memory 2×32GB Kingston Fury Beast (6000MHz @ 36-38-38-80)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Liquid Devil
Storage 2TB Kingston KC3000 / 2×4TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse ASUS Gladius 3 Wireless
Keyboard Mountain Everest Max
with class-leading 80+ hours of battery life
eh, I dunno about that. I'm currently using the HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless and this thing is rated for 300+ hours on a single charge. And yes, I haven't charged it in a month and it does a bit of gaming couple days a week plus a whole lot of Youtube/movie watching every day.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
eh, I dunno about that. I'm currently using the HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless and this thing is rated for 300+ hours on a single charge. And yes, I haven't charged it in a month and it does a bit of gaming couple days a week plus a whole lot of Youtube/movie watching every day.
This seems to be a derivative of the Edifier STAX SPIRIT S3 (https://www.techpowerup.com/review/edifier-stax-spirit-s3-planar-magnetic-wireless-headphones) that in itself was based off the Audeze LCD-1. I can certainly see an 80 hour battery life as being realistic.

I'm still wait for a few reviews to come out, but these seem interesting. Assuming they sound decent, that is. But they look fairly comfortable from my own experience of the design they have, they're not super edgy with 87,000 RGB LEDs or some wonky design. Never tried anything with planar drivers, so I'm curious as to how they compare to standard drivers. The price isn't pucker-inducing, so I'll likely give them a shot.

Reactions: VSG
How good will the wireless Tech sounds? And the mic needs also an extra channel for a real full acoustic potential. No Test results until now available, sadly.

Processor i9-9900K
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72
Memory 64GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) x2 Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Founders Editions
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVME, 1TB WD Black NVME, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 10TB WD Gold HDD
Display(s) Viotek GN32DB 32" 1440p, 144Hz, Acer ET430K 43" 4K 60Hz
Case Fractal Define R6
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSP-600 Headset, Creative Labs Sound BlasterX Katana Under-Monitor Soundbar/Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX-1050
Mouse Logitech G Pro HERO
Keyboard Input Club Kira
This seems to be a derivative of the Edifier STAX SPIRIT S3 (https://www.techpowerup.com/review/edifier-stax-spirit-s3-planar-magnetic-wireless-headphones) that in itself was based off the Audeze LCD-1. I can certainly see an 80 hour battery life as being realistic.
I think he's saying they're not class-leading.

What makes you think they're derivative of the STAX? I'm looking through and it's pretty standard Audeze tech and the chassis is different. Just curious what you're noticing to make that connection.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member

What makes you think they're derivative of the STAX? I'm looking through and it's pretty standard Audeze tech and the chassis is different. Just curious what you're noticing to make that connection.
The Edifier STAX SPIRIT S3 is a wireless set of closed-back headphones that uses Audeze drivers and has an 80 hour battery life. Of course the chassis here is different but I wouldn't be surprised if the S3 and Maxwell were both based off the same LCD-1 Closed that Audeze had once shown off but never made.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity² DDC 4.2 PWM / Alphacool Monsta 2×180mm / EK P240M
Memory 2×32GB Kingston Fury Beast (6000MHz @ 36-38-38-80)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Liquid Devil
Storage 2TB Kingston KC3000 / 2×4TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse ASUS Gladius 3 Wireless
Keyboard Mountain Everest Max
Yeah, I meant what gamebynight said. Although to be fair, 80 hour battery life is still nothing to sneeze at and I think would be top 5 (it not top 3) for headset battery life ratings.

Reactions: VSG