• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Audio for ps3 with hdmi > dvi converter

frikandeldirty

Hello,

I would like to get some audio for on my ps3, because right now I don't have any audio.
I bought a hdmi to dvi converter to get better quality (It's a pretty old tv which doesn't have hdmi) but the problem is dvi is only picture no sound. So after googling a bit I found out that I should use the white and red cable of the cables that come with the ps3 for sound.

The problem is: I get my picture on the channel "PC" and my sound on the channel "AV.SV"

So I either have sound OR display!

If you know how to solve this, thank you in advance!!!

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Plug speakers into the mic jack on the tv? Or is that a no go because of the setting you need the tv on?

frikandeldirty

Well I know it works with other speakers (not the ones of the tv) but I already have my computer (with speakers) and my stage piano (with a big speaker) on my room and its just way too many wires already. Another set of speakers would mean more wires and I don't have a plug socket for it!

System Name Vegnagun
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard Asus B550 Gaming-E
Cooling Noctua NH-U14
Memory 4x8 G. Skill 3800mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
Storage WD SN850 2tb
Display(s) Viotek 1080p 120hz
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech 815 tactile
Software Windows 10 Education
Benchmark Scores top 1% in the world for weekly score in Killzone 2 :)
Can you use the optical out on the ps3? If not then just track down an RCA to 3.5mm adapter and plug that into your monitor if I'm understanding your set up correctly.

frikandeldirty

Ehm im not very technical, but it's not a monitor its a television. The only ways to get sound is scart, av and 3.5mm plug, but I don't know have a cable from my ps3 to that plug. How do I combine that sound with the dvi display?

Also, I have no Idea what RCA is

Muenman

Hi What you need is 3.5mm Stereo Plug to Two Phono Sockets.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/3.5mm-stereo-plug-to-two-phono-sockets-48366 <-- there is a uk site with a picture of what i am talking about.
You can get them for about 6 or 7 quid.

You will need the phono ends to be female on the adapter because your ps3's basic composite cable are male ends. With most 3.5mm Stereo Plug to Two Phono Sockets adapters the 3.5mm jack is male so you might need a female to female adapter(otherwise know as 3.5mm Stereo Jack Coupler)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/gold-3.5mm-stereo-jackcoupler-34619<--- a picture

So plug your hdmi/dvi adapater into the ps3 and do the normal hdmi setup.
Then plug your composite cable that came as default with the ps3 into the ps3. Then get the 3.5mm Stereo Plug to Two Phono Sockets adapter and plug the red and white bits off the ps3 cable into it.
Now depending on your setup you could need or not need the 3.5mm Stereo Jack Coupler you may not need it if you have a pc monitor with speakers build in and a port at the back to plug a 3.5mm jack into it. But alot of LED monitors these days dont have speakers build in.

So if you dont have speakers built in or just want to use some better speakers or headphones you need need the 3.5mm Stereo Jack Coupler to give you a female end to the male end that is commonly found on the 3.5mm Stereo Plug to Two Phono Sockets. You may be lucky and find a cable with female ends but i never did. So now you have a female end to your 5mm Stereo Plug to Two Phono Sockets you can plug in whatever speakers you like.

Now go to the ps3 options and go to sound and setup the sound to go out of composite cable.

I hope i havent confused you :)
+ I only came on here to look at the Asus gtx 680 direct cu edition but ended up registering haha

System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint
Hello,

I would like to get some audio for on my ps3, because right now I don't have any audio.
I bought a hdmi to dvi converter to get better quality (It's a pretty old tv which doesn't have hdmi) but the problem is dvi is only picture no sound. So after googling a bit I found out that I should use the white and red cable of the cables that come with the ps3 for sound.

The problem is: I get my picture on the channel "PC" and my sound on the channel "AV.SV"

So I either have sound OR display!

If you know how to solve this, thank you in advance!!!

I think i know what you mean, you could buy all connectors and adapters but you will still have no sound because the TV speakers will only work with the same sound source as the Video signal, so it's irrelevant if you can use the optical or component because you will have either sound or video. If your TV works like mine you can't do anything. A small Home theater will fix your problem, connect the PS3 directly to it.

frikandeldirty

I think i know what you mean, you could buy all connectors and adapters but you will still have no sound because the TV speakers will only work with the same sound source as the Video signal, so it's irrelevant if you can use the optical or component because you will have either sound or video. If your TV works like mine you can't do anything. A small Home theater will fix your problem, connect the PS3 directly to it.

So the only way to get sound is by an external speakers?

System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint
So the only way to get sound is by an external speakers?

I think so, because the problem is not the PS3 since you can config it to do what you want, but the TV won't allow you to have separate video and sound signals, they have to be both from the same source.

System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
Unless you can slave the DVI input to the analog audio input using the TV's menu somehow (I've never seen a TV that can do this), you are going to need to use external speakers with the PS3 or use a headset.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I think so, because the problem is not the PS3 since you can config it to do what you want, but the TV won't allow you to have separate video and sound signals, they have to be both from the same source.

^this

you'll need to use a source with video and audio on the same 'channel' or external speakers. the flaw is with your TV, not the PS3.