1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Audio over HDMI from GTX 260

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Broom2455, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Broom2455

Oct 11, 2009
    172 (0.07/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Hi All,
    You advice is needed please.
    On my rig in the specs on the left I have just purchased:
    NVIDIA SPDIF HMDI AUDIO CABLE SP DIF CABLE from ebay and connected it to my soundcard in specs (Supreme FXII) using the SPDIF out on the soundcard and connected the 2 pin to the graphics card.
    Using DVI to HDMI lead to Panasonic 32" LCD 1080p I get picture but no sound:mad:
    I have checked in NVIDIA control Panel and it says HDMI audio enabled, selected SPDIF out on Soundmax software... no sound, selected back to speakers... no sound. :banghead:

Any advice would be gratefully recieved :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. ktr

Apr 7, 2006
    7,405 (1.92/day)
    Thanks Received:
    You might have to select SPDIF as your playback device in Audio in Control Panel.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Dent1

May 18, 2010
    3,415 (1.45/day)
    Thanks Received:
    That is because DVI can not pass through sound, DVI is only for images. HDMI can do sound and images, using a DVI to HDMI cable will mean that only the image data will come through but not the sound due to DVI's limitation.

I believe Nvidia has a special and unofficial DVI to HDMI cable which solves this issue though, the only other way around this issue is to buy a Nvidia GTX4xx series or a ATI card as I believe they have built in soundcards and HDMI outputs.