• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Audio via Dvi connector questions

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
I am currently putting together a htpc for a friend, he already has his current pc connected to his television via a 15m dvi-hdmi cable, using a motherboard to gpu (gtx260) spdif internal connection, and wishes to continue using the dvi-hdmi cable.

The problem im having is working out whether newer nvidia cards such as 430/450 series cards which have their own audio, negating an spdif connection, still output audio through the dvi port, or only via their hdmi socket.

Also, do Ati cards output their audio through dvi still, and if so, is it via the same pins nvidia used on cards that had an spdif input, or is it wired differently?, googling this has confused the hell out of me as many say they could not get ati's implementation to work over a dvi-hdmi cable, only via the ati hdmi dongle.

I really wish my friend would just buy a 15m hdmi cable, but hey, some people...:rolleyes:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The GTX470 and GTX460 that I've tested with a DVI-HDMI cable both output sound via the DVI connectors. I don't see why the lower end cards would be any different.

ATi cards are a little weird with outputting audio over DVI, and have been since at least the HD3000 series. I'm not sure how the HD5000/6000 series works and if they still output sound via DVI. But I do know that you need a certain type of DVI adapter to get it to work.

From what I've tested, I've come to the conclusion that if the cable/adapter has all the pins like this:

it will work with an ATi card and provide sound.

If it is missing pins like this:

then it won't provide sound with an ATi card.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
My 4870x2 (Palit) came with a DVI to HDMI adapter like your second picture (less pins) and claims to support sound through HDMI without additional cables.

I'll pick up an HDMI cable tomorrow and test it out on the new TV.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Update :

Sound works fine through HDMI with the adapter, so it appears to be completely dependent upon the card, not the connector.