• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Audioengine A2+ Wireless Computer Speakers

Audioengine is known for their compact and versatile speakers systems and today, we will be taking a good look at their new A2+ Wireless speaker set. The A2+ Wireless features USB, Bluetooth, and analog ins and outs—for $269 per set, and they come in three colors.

Show full review

Last edited:
System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
I wonder how they'd fair against Edifier R1280DB, which are 2x cheaper.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
They are SOOO expensive for what amounts to a well-made but imperfect-sounding set of narrow-range speakers.

2.75" drivers are never going to deliver a full-range frequency response, and the mid-range bump is another blemish on the record for these. There is so much competition in the powered studio monitor market that an undersized unit with no attempt to deal with the lack of bass or uneven midrange response is inexcusable. The chances are good that these will sell well to Apple laptop buyers who value pretty looks and flashy marketing material more than actual performance or value.

Real musicians, audiophiles, and anyone wanting more value for money will find superior offerings from M-Audio, Presonus, Mackie, JBL, KRK, Pioneer. Not only are their offerings indisputably, measurably better sounding - they are usually cheaper and come with more audiophile heritage and brand-recognition than AudioEngine.

TL;DR
Audioengine are style over substance at a high price. If that is what you want then go nuts, but don't expect anyone who actually appreciates good audio to compliment your decision or agree with your choice.

269$ is not very much for a pair of good monitor speakers, but it is a lot for just plain computer desk top speakers.

From what I understand, these are neither, really.
I don't really get the point of these being wireless, who would carry around a pair of speakers with open membranes?

If space and cables are no concern, in the 250-300$/€ range there are Mackie MR524, Adam T5V, Yamaha HS5, KRK RP5, JBL 305P and so on.
Sure, they are quite a bit larger, all around 5" woofers, but not so large you couldn't fit them on an average table next to the monitor.

In the 3" size range the Adam A3X have impessed me, but they are a lot more expensive.

Last edited:
The ADAM Audio TV5s are twice the price and approximately 7 times the volume hardly a fair comparison. You can get better sound if you can live with a set of speakers that can fit a 5" plus 20+ liters of cabinet for it. For a true compact speaker bluetooth these offer good bang for the buck sound wise.

The wireless part is a convenience thing for all the people who just have laptops or want to listen from a few different sources.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I don't have a problem with wireless; Both my home-theatre receiver and my desktop can be paired with things via bluetooth. It doesn't add a lot to the price if you don't use it and it is convenient if you do. At the same time, any non-wireless speaker with a second input (like powered monitors usually do) can be upgraded to wireless with a good-quality bluetooth receiver for $20.

I simply have a problem with Audioengine trying to sell $269 speakers on sound quality when they aren't big enough to qualify as "good sound". The popular M-Audio AV32 pair are available for $80 from Amazon and whilst slightly larger, they're still a very compact pair of desktop monitors that do not look out of place either side of a laptop. The benefits of a larger 3.5" driver means that the sound is indisputably better - both subjective judgement and objective testing clearly favour the better sound of the M-Audio. At 5.2" wide compared the A2+ 4" wide cabinets, it's hard to believe there's anyone who could find room for a set of A2 speakers can't find an extra 1.2" of desk space for the AV32s.

The kicker is that $280. They're not bad speakers but the sound quality means they're worth no more than $80 at best. If you want to pay a premium to save 1.2" of desk space and compromise on the sound quality, then they exist on the market and you're welcome to do so, but under no circumstances are they competitive for either their size or their price point. Just about the only redeeming highlight is that they come in pretty colours and look trendy. Style over substance, at a high price.

It makes no sense when you leave out feature set and compare MSRP to current price on AV32s. The AV32s lack bluetooth receiver which is probably around $30 for a decent one, on top of that a decent DAC which is probably $50-60. Then you have the bigger AV32, with similar feature set in an impractical 2-3 box setup for around $150. While the average going price right now for the A2+s is around $229 depending on where you live.

On top of that the AV32s are not exactly perfect sounding to being with, while I have not had the chance to A/B them I have owned them and they are ok for price, but the midrange is extremely quirky, along with a huge upper bass bump. Treble is like the midrange all over the place on the AV32s as well.

Overall the Audio engine A2+s are in a different league, both in terms of feature set and sound quality than the AV32s. The primary issue with the AV32s is their woofer which is simply not a capable design in any way.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Like many audiophiles, I guess we should agree to disagree. You seem to be adding $80-90 to the perceived features of the A2+ such as the BT and DAC, but the first page of Google results gives multiple independent teardowns which show the DAC to be a low-end Texas Instruments PCM2704 and the BT implementation to be an in-house design that seems on the basic side. I feel I was overly generous in comparing it to a $20 receiver, especially since $6 receivers off Amazon include name-brand DACs of equivalent quality that pop up in plenty of other multimedia applications (phones, consoles, televisions and monitors, to name a few). Either way, it's not worth getting worked up over the cost of the DAC or the BT receiver, because neither of them are the bottleneck to the sound quality for this class of product. Assume that the DACs and receivers are all fine at this level of fidelity and just move on.

I lived with an AV32.1 setup (and its flaws) for two years and demoed the A2 with the goal of upgrading my AV32.1 by connecting them via the (poorly documented) variable RCA connectors to a Polk active 10" subwoofer. Sadly no amount of DSP could undo the damage that Audioengine have engineered into these units in an attempt to compensate for the tiny cabinets and undersized drivers. They sounded no better or worse than the AV32s with the sub disconnected; but unlike M-Audio they weren't neutral enough to pair with a sub and get a balanced result.

Like any ported, directional speaker of this type, positioning/alignment of the speaker and room interference will have a lot more impact on the frequency balance than the speaker design themselves. This is why I don't rely solely on subjective testing but double-check my purchases against third-party calibrated open-air test results. For my own experience, the AV32's required a DSP reduction at about 2KHz but at that point were passable as studio monitors until they started to roll off at 80-90Hz. The A2s seem to produce bass (impressively so for such small drivers) and clear treble without breakup so that you can be tricked into thinking these are VERY good speakers with the right type of music. The minute you want presence in vocals the A2s fall flat - some kind of weird frequency dip around 5K, and yet a little higher in the frequency response, the sibilance of pronounced t, s, and c sounds was cutting - harsh and unpleasant. I spent a full day trying to make them work with two completely different DSP programs and gave up, for a refund.

Simply put, I should not have had to work so hard and still fail to get monitor-quality audio out of speakers that were easily twice the price of good monitors. Especially not when the compeition that I have since used (Presonus, JBL) can do so at half the price. Yeah, they're nicely made, and yeah they have a convenient feature set but that is - in my opinion - simply lipstick on the proverbial pig.

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I'm not sure for wireless but non wireless models are worth of investment.
To bad people invest in expensive GPU and CPU and repeat upgrade every year and use onboard audio and 50$ worth speakers.

System Name Rex
Processor Ryzen 2600
Motherboard GigaByte B450M DS3H
Cooling Wraith
Memory 16 GB Corsair Vengence 3000
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 1660 SC
Storage XPG M.2, Samsung 860 SSD, WD Black 1 TB
Display(s) ASUS VG248
Case Corsair mATX cube. (Alas they don't make it anymore)
Power Supply Corsair HX 600 Watt
Mouse Microsoft
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 ibit
I own these speakers. Given their small size, the sound is quite impressive. For music they are great. I find them a little "boomy" for the spoken voice, but this can easily fixed by software. Cheap speakers suck. If you listen to music, or watch movies on your PC, get some good quality speakers. I can vouch for the Audioengine A2.

System Name AM5 Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E-I ITX
Cooling Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix 240mm AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MHz CL30 DDR5 EXPO Grey
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING 11GB
Storage Kingston KC3000 Gen4 2TB, Samsung 870 QVO 2TB, Samsung 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) Hisense 65X8HAU 65" 4K OLED 120HZ TV, Asus VG27AQ 27" QHD IPS 165Hz Monitor
Case Cooler Master NR200P White
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII USB Sound Card/DAC
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L SFX-L 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Ultra Wireless
Keyboard Logitech G Pro TKL Mechanical
Benchmark Scores Port Royal: 2515 Solar Bay: 26360 Time Spy Extreme: 4922 Time Spy: 10669 Fire Strike Ultra: 7262
I recently picked up the A2+. Coming from my experience with larger 5" bookshelf speakers I found the sound disappointing, but after comparing to other similar sized computer speakers from Creative or Logitech the A2+ came out on top. My Asus Xonar U7 MkII (cheap "gaming" USB DAC) actually sounded a bit better than the speaker's built in DAC. And it was great for adjusting the EQ; it sounded muddy otherwise with a harsh upper treble and muted 2-3KHz range.

I added a 250W 8" Jamo subwoofer to mine, sitting beside my desk. It made the speakers come ALIVE, so I'd highly recommend picking up a cheap subwoofer to go with these.

img.jpg

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
I recently picked up the A2+. Coming from my experience with larger 5" bookshelf speakers I found the sound disappointing, but after comparing to other similar sized computer speakers from Creative or Logitech the A2+ came out on top. My Asus Xonar U7 MkII (cheap "gaming" USB DAC) actually sounded a bit better than the speaker's built in DAC. And it was great for adjusting the EQ; it sounded muddy otherwise with a harsh upper treble and muted 2-3KHz range.
This was my experience with them too.
Overrated, overpriced speakers that have far too many positive reviews and hype.

They really are good for their size, but their size is a real limitation to the sound quality. Nothing at this size sounds great.

Basically, if you have room for 5" monitors, you should get those instead. You'll be able to find plenty of offerings that offer vastly superior sound quality for the same price as the AudioEngine A2/A2+ but obviously you'll need the additional space to accommodate them.

If you're after something small and with the same flawed, mediocre sound quality of the A2+ then buy something like the Creative Gigaworks T40 for around 1/3rd the cost, even after you've bought a cheap USB DAC (though the DAC in the A2/A2+ isn't expensive, and likely on-par with motherboard audio or the DAC built into most gaming monitors).

Last edited: