• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Autonomous cars could be so inconveniently safe that you can't get anywhere

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Millard-Ball contends that pedestrians and drivers are engaged in a game of chicken, in which one party eventually decides to yield to the other based on the psychological perception of risk.

With a human behind the wheel, there's always a chance the driver will behave unpredictably or won't see the pedestrian.

Automated cars, however, are programmed to be perceptive, predictable and law abiding. So pedestrians will be able to take advantage of that tendency toward deference. If they do so, it could make traveling in a self-driving car exceedingly slow.

"Secure in the knowledge that a car will yield, pedestrians can cross with impunity," Millard-Ball wrote. "They merely need to act unpredictably or step into the street to force the risk-averse car to slow down. From the point of view of a passenger in an automated car, it would be like driving down a street filled with unaccompanied five-year-old children."

www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/27/selfdriving_cars_will_be_bullied_by_pedestrians

Perhaps the solution is to make autonomous cars behave more like humans?

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
This has the potential to cause mayhem in the UK where we can cross where we like, we dont have to use a designated crossing place.

Thete is no law in the UK to stop jaywalking.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Even if I see automated cars in my lifetime I wouldn't own one. There are too many things that could go wrong. i.e. the issue with the chip in the Camry that caused the car to accelerate at full throttle for no reason causing crashes. Automated cars would be perfect if the humans that made the systems and programmed them were perfect but we're not. If the systems are connected to the net then there is also the possibility that they could be hacked with malware as well.

I've owned many cars over my lifetime and I can say from experience that the more electronics that they put on cars the more that can go wrong. I currently have a Camry with power everything and a couple of months ago my power door locks engaged and the button wouldn't release the locks. I couldn't manually release the lock nor open my door using the door handle until I physically pressed the lock so hard that it finally broke and wouldn't close again.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Wont happen, autonomous cars are programmed to sacrifice pedestrians in the case of a potential collision.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Even if I see automated cars in my lifetime I wouldn't own one. There are too many things that could go wrong. i.e. the issue with the chip in the Camry that caused the car to accelerate at full throttle for no reason causing crashes. Automated cars would be perfect if the humans that made the systems and programmed them were perfect but we're not. If the systems are connected to the net then there is also the possibility that they could be hacked with malware as well.

I've owned many cars over my lifetime and I can say from experience that the more electronics that they put on cars the more that can go wrong. I currently have a Camry with power everything and a couple of months ago my power door locks engaged and the button wouldn't release the locks. I couldn't manually release the lock nor open my door using the door handle until I physically pressed the lock so hard that it finally broke and wouldn't close again.

There was reason why the camry's had "uncontrollable" acceleration it is a DBW system and someone put the decimal point in the wrong position that is why Toyota was able to fix them with a simple ECM reflash. Human nature also should have told people to put the car in neutral. Hard to accelerate when the vehicle isn't in gear, very easy for a computer to accomplish that same task.

Ironic is the fact that you never saw this issue with any of the manual camry's which actually make up quite a large portion of sales in that generation and were plagued with the same issue. Interestingly enough manual drivers know how to do more than put the transmission in 'D' and press the skinny pedal. With their crazy ability to not only press the clutch, but move the gear lever they managed to thwart certain death.

#manualsforlife

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Not trusting this because hackers can fuck you up and kill you with very minimal effort.. also if you missed a payment they can kill you.

Or some SJW type can target people that don't fit their agenda.... just so much potential for abuse with this shit.

Bullshit, they can put gazillion sensors on cars and they'll never have even 1/100th of predictability of a human. The way humans can observe things and predict ahead, I just can't see it how computer can do it unless you specifically place a logic for that in it. For example, if the opposite lane is empty and I have a group of children pedestrians on a side walk on my side, I'll preemptively make an arch around them, despite them being on a sidewalk and everything looks "normal". Have a bad experience with kids pushing each other out of the blue, potentially right in front of my car. Tell me, what computer will EVER do this on its own? Or even tiny things like avoiding a puddle next to a side walk to avoid spraying pedestrians next to it? It comes naturally for a human driver, for a computer, it'll have to be a specially included rule and sensors to recognize a puddle. Who's going to invest millions into "puddles" recognition? Very unlikely.
Not to mention laws are different in different countries. Imagine such car traveling from France to UK and it has to suddenly drive on the wrong side of the road. How are they going to work that out? Just mirroring the rules or having an entirely separate rules to include both scenarios in its entirety?

I like technology and all that, but I have great doubts about 100% self driving cars. I do like the basic helpers like brake assistance to avoid rear ending another car, but that's very simple straight forward logic and a function to design.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Only fools would walk in front of a moving vehicle and physics still apply to autonomous cars. Autonomous cars will reduce the number of avoidable accidents but they will not eliminate them. Additionally, pedestrians walking where they are not supposed to be is already a misdemeanor (e.g. jaywalking) and that doesn't change. Autonomous cars could actually decrease incidences of misdemeanors like jaywalking because they could record the crime in progress with their many cameras and upload it directly to authorities.

And let's not forget that 100 years from now, there will still be some cars that are not autonomous (e.g. recreational vehicles) so those fools are rolling a dice every time on whether or not the vehicle will stop.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
People will become more complacent about their vehicles than they already are. They will expect to hop in and do nothing apart from telling the vehicle their destination and possibly refuel if they don't have an at home recharging station.
It's bad enough now with people driving without a clue how to check fluids or change tires. How many people know someone that drives around with a red light on their dash? I know of a couple that have done this, one even ran out of oil.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
This has the potential to cause mayhem in the UK where we can cross where we like, we dont have to use a designated crossing place.

Thete is no law in the UK to stop jaywalking.

Everywhere there may not be a law......but there is ALWAYS a precident.

BUMPER V SKULL
WINDSHEILD V FACE

to cite a couple
:eek:

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Bullshit, they can put gazillion sensors on cars and they'll never have even 1/100th of predictability of a human. The way humans can observe things and predict ahead, I just can't see it how computer can do it unless you specifically place a logic for that in it. For example, if the opposite lane is empty and I have a group of children pedestrians on a side walk on my side, I'll preemptively make an arch around them, despite them being on a sidewalk and everything looks "normal". Have a bad experience with kids pushing each other out of the blue, potentially right in front of my car. Tell me, what computer will EVER do this on its own? Or even tiny things like avoiding a puddle next to a side walk to avoid spraying pedestrians next to it? It comes naturally for a human driver, for a computer, it'll have to be a specially included rule and sensors to recognize a puddle. Who's going to invest millions into "puddles" recognition? Very unlikely.
Not to mention laws are different in different countries. Imagine such car traveling from France to UK and it has to suddenly drive on the wrong side of the road. How are they going to work that out? Just mirroring the rules or having an entirely separate rules to include both scenarios in its entirety?

I like technology and all that, but I have great doubts about 100% self driving cars. I do like the basic helpers like brake assistance to avoid rear ending another car, but that's very simple straight forward logic and a function to design.

Thing is most drivers wont care about spraying kids with a puddle. Humans as of late are also known very well for not paying attention to what is around them. The self driving car would help that.

Those were actually two separate examples... Unless if you meant people don't care about blood puddles created by kids being ran over...

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Those were actually two separate examples... Unless if you meant people don't care about blood puddles created by kids being ran over...

I mean it is easier for a car to spot people with its 100's of sensors of a human who has their face buried in a cell phone.

A portrayal of Skynet makes sense now. We are such threat to ourselves we have to get exterminated in order to solve the problem. Don't use the damn phone while driving. Is that so hard of a task now or what? There are bunch of rest stops or behold, the mighty function of hands free talking if you really have to pick it up. There is literally nothing so important you can't wait till you get home or wherever.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
In the US even though we have J walking laws, pedestrians still have the right of way, always. The question is would people just step in front of an autonomous car because they know it would stop every time

SO then would people just step in front of cars because they will become complacent

But as far as automated cars, humans make way more mistakes then computers

Last edited: