• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Avast Free - Spying & Selling Your Data :(

I agree 100%. And it is good Avast changed the default so users now have to opt in. But, IMO, especially for a cybersecurity company, that should have been the default from the start - and not after they started getting flack about it.
100% agree. Security companies really need to take their purpose to heart and remember that they exist not just to make money.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 OC
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Audio Device(s) nothing special
Power Supply converted to gas
Mouse and cat
Keyboard backlit and big letters!
Software 7, 10, CentOS
Benchmark Scores embarrassing I imagine!
Has anyone here talking about all of this even tried to get a virus or spyware? Or are you all just trying NOT to!? LOL.

They barely even exist these days and for sure need ZERO 3rd party software to deal with them!

I am sure someone here has seen exceptions to this?? Well I hope you have anyway or what exactly are you protecting yourself from!?

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Has anyone here talking about all of this even tried to get a virus or spyware? Or are you all just trying NOT to!? LOL.

They barely even exist these days and for sure need ZERO 3rd party software to deal with them!

I am sure someone here has seen exceptions to this?? Well I hope you have anyway or what exactly are you protecting yourself from!?
You’re doing a great job at trying to convince people there is nothing to fear and protection is not needed. It borders on irresponsible though, since this is a site that thrives on providing sound advice.

System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Mouse and cat
Software 7, 10, CentOS
I mean to each their own, right? But I asked a legit question expecting legit answers.

I mean to each their own, right? But I asked a legit question expecting legit answers.
The problem with that is simple, no one wants to put their personal machines at risk. Someone like me has plenty of spare machines but I only do AV/AM/FW tests once a year, and I'm not doing that run of tests again until June.

System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Mouse and cat
Software 7, 10, CentOS
I guess I am just a tad shocked that people on a forum such as this think that: a.) there is a risk (for us) and b.) they need 3rd party software to mitigate it.

I mean I get it that some crazy things can happen if you participate in it....but it really really really takes some serious participation via careless clicking and clacking to even come across anything and those anythings are crazy simple these days.

I am trying to be proven wrong here. LOL.

Jeesh man I really really think techs should know first hand what it is they are trying not to get!! LOLOL.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I guess I am just a tad shocked that people on a forum such as this think that: a.) there is a risk (for us) and b.) they need 3rd party software to mitigate it.
:eek: That's like thinking you are so much smarter than all other drivers and such a great defensive driver that you don't need insurance. It is bogus, naive thinking.

Are you seriously suggesting you are infallible?
That you are smarter than all the bad guys out there?
That you could never be fooled by a cleverly designed, socially engineered fake email or webpage?
That you are so self-disciplined that you could never, not even once, slip up and accidentally click on something you shouldn't?
That no legitimate site you visit could ever be hacked and planted with malware?
That an update for one of your trusted programs could never be implanted with malware by a hacker to the developer's site?

I could go on but hopefully you get the point. Most of us on this site are conscientious enough to prevent compromises - when we are paying attention. But I personally am not that focused every second of every minute of every hour I am on line every day.

Many of us use computers that have other other users - other users that may not be as disciplined as us. Many of us have kids and grandkids with pretty smart (and perhaps nosy) friends that might not be so trustworthy. Many of us have occasional house guests with wide ranges of skill-sets and "security awareness" that use our computers or request network access.

There is some truth to what you are saying - especially these days with a fully updated Windows 10. If you are the only user of your computer and you stick to the legitimate sites, it is difficult to become infected. But difficult does not mean impossible. Having a good anti-malware solution is like having good insurance. You hope you never need it. But if (when!) you do need it, you want it to work.

System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Mouse and cat
Software 7, 10, CentOS
No none of those things...I am a idiot.

But every day I try to kill machines and it is very difficult to do! Windows 7 too.

Like I said if you aren't trying then what are you even afraid of? LOL...the boogie man?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
then what are you even afraid of? LOL...the boogie man?
It is not about being afraid. As I said above, it is about being "aware" of what "could" happen.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
To me, it's generally worth the trade-off. MBAM active and WD running routine scans has no impact on me at all and leaves a few less ways for something I might miss to happen, no matter how likely or unlikely that may be. I may also occasionally run one-time scans with other tools. Just another brick in the wall with a system firewall, router-level protection, and browser protections. After those things comes good practices, which takes a little conscious effort. To me, if you want to run your machine with you having basically full access to everything... as an admin, or 'power-user' it just makes sense to also consider responsibility from multiple angles. None of these things impact my use at all, though. If you can find a protection solution that on your end is basically zero cost, why wouldn't you, as someone who cares about your machines, use it? Yanno? Kind of a "why not?" kind of thing. Though this thread definitely shows the answer to that question, haha. Still... to me the logic follows that if you do know what you're doing, you also know how to implement a multi-point protection system that doesn't hinder you, and that you know how to configure and operate well enough to benefit from. It actually works best when you know what it does and doesn't do for you, and when things actually do fall on you to use caution.

Consider this. A lot of less knowledgeable people may just grab an AV and still compromise themselves in other ways. A more experienced user picks it up as a way of augmenting what they already do on their own. It makes whatever practices you use on top more effective.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz
Motherboard ASRock z77 Fatal1ty Professional-M
Cooling Corsair Hydro H90
Memory 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) MSI Armour GTX 1070Ti
Storage Western Digital Blue SATA III SSD 1TB
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q
Case Corsair Obsidian 350d
Power Supply Corsair TX750
No none of those things...I am a idiot.

But every day I try to kill machines and it is very difficult to do! Windows 7 too.

Like I said if you aren't trying then what are you even afraid of? LOL...the boogie man?

You are also coming at this from the perspective of someone that has some good tech sense. Most people on this site know what search sites to click on, know which emails are scams and know which links on web pages are fake. We know not to give general users admin rights or privileges on their accounts.

So to your point, ignore all that. Make the ignorant mistake of allowing all users on a machine to have Admin rights and then give that machine to a horny teenager or grandmama who loves chain emails. You would be amazed.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Can't help you with that one...

Then why did you make that claim? I'm still waiting on you to back up your statement that they were collecting user data whether they opted in or out. if the user chose to not allow Avast to collect their data, then Avast respected that choice. You claimed they didn't, prove it!

Sure you can help. You posted the link as proof therefore you can provide the quote that backs you up. I know you won't though.
I highlighted in bold the point, but it seemingly doesn't resonate with him or you, so I can't help you any further. Good luck with that.

Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q
I highlighted in bold the point, but it seemingly doesn't resonate with him or you, so I can't help you any further. Good luck with that.

I will be a civil person and amend my post as to when I initially read your post this morning I did not see the quoted text. I chose to interpret the text in a different way, but to each their own.

System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Mouse and cat
Software 7, 10, CentOS
You are also coming at this from the perspective of someone that has some good tech sense. Most people on this site know what search sites to click on, know which emails are scams and know which links on web pages are fake. We know not to give general users admin rights or privileges on their accounts.

So to your point, ignore all that. Make the ignorant mistake of allowing all users on a machine to have Admin rights and then give that machine to a horny teenager or grandmama who loves chain emails. You would be amazed.

I have hundreds of users on 7 and 10 from teens to 88 years old (just celebrated their 72nd wedding anniversary!!!) all running zero AV. I simply show them control alt delete and how to hold in a power button from the day I set them up. I am not kidding or exaggerating in any way here.

I don't see them for months at a time and sometimes even a year or 2 or 3! Then I go visit and do a little bit of checking/cleaning MANUALLY with no 3rd party software. These are facts.

As of now, from what I SEE, the bad stuff of the past (95 thru XP) has disappeared.

I have seen AV programs BECOME the issue so why on earth would I ever want to see it again.....and PAY for it!? Just no no NO.

I have 1118 custom built machines in NE Ohio and not one of them gets anything more than aggressive pop ups trying to bait them into being fools.....

So I think maybe I am out of touch ? so I try super hard to find the worst of the worst and just can't.

Everything I see is killed with Control alt delete or crashing the unit.

I am trying as we speak!

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
I have hundreds of users on 7 and 10 from teens to 88 years old (just celebrated their 72nd wedding anniversary!!!) all running zero AV. I simply show them control alt delete and how to hold in a power button from the day I set them up. I am not kidding or exaggerating in any way here.

I don't see them for months at a time and sometimes even a year or 2 or 3! Then I go visit and do a little bit of checking/cleaning MANUALLY with no 3rd party software. These are facts.

As of now, from what I SEE, the bad stuff of the past (95 thru XP) has disappeared.

I have seen AV programs BECOME the issue so why on earth would I ever want to see it again.....and PAY for it!? Just no no NO.

I have 1118 custom built machines in NE Ohio and not one of them gets anything more than aggressive pop ups trying to bait them into being fools.....

So I think maybe I am out of touch ? so I try super hard to find the worst of the worst and just can't.

I am trying as we speak!
Then stick with your hundreds of clients and stop giving bad advice here. Even within your group of hundreds, you are basically advising them to go out and have indiscriminate, anonymous and unprotected sex. One might go years and not catch anything. Then that nice girl/guy next door type that you swear should be safe is the one to infect you. Your advice is akin to that.

This is not just a site of tech experts and enthisiasts playing amongst themselves. There is a reputation of good and sound advice, and the expectation that many people can come to TPU and get their concerns or questions answered responsibly and correctly.

Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q

I am trying as we speak!

Probably not out of touch, there is always just an interesting group that can find a way. I work with teachers and students and there are always a group that can find a way to just blatantly click "yes" or "accept" to every pop up that comes on their machine. :rolleyes:

System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Mouse and cat
Software 7, 10, CentOS
Then stick with your hundreds of clients and stop giving bad advice here. Even within your group of hundreds, you are basically advising them to go out and have indiscriminate, anonymous and unprotected sex. One might go years and not catch anything. Then that nice girl/guy next door type that you swear should be safe is the one to infect you. Your advice is akin to that.

This is not just a site of tech experts and enthisiasts playing amongst themselves. There is a reputation of good and sound advice, and the expectation that many people can come to TPU and get their concerns or questions answered responsibly and correctly.

Their condom is their mind not some for sale BS third party piece of software that may or may not (probably not!) stop a issue all while pretending that it can while hogging resources and stealing and selling data.

Here I sit completely unprotected surfin the web and dark web and the worst of all (xhamster lolol ONLY FOR TESTIING) and nothing that can't be beaten back by a power button or 3 simple keyboard buttons.

This is fact and not short term either.....10 years + of this way of thinking/teaching.

I dare you all to just let go and try it. LOL. I am far far from the only one that knows/does this but apparently not here.

Great advice is teaching people what to expect and how things happen and keeping their money.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Their condom is their mind not some for sale BS third party piece of software that may or may not (probably not!) stop a issue all while pretending that it can while hogging resources and stealing and selling data.

Here I sit completely unprotected surfin the web and dark web and the worst of all (xhamster lolol ONLY FOR TESTIING) and nothing that can't be beaten back by a power button or 3 simple keyboard buttons.

This is fact and not short term either.....10 years + of this way of thinking/teaching.

I dare you all to just let go and try it. LOL. I am far far from the only one that knows/does this but apparently not here.

Great advice is teaching people what to expect and how things happen and keeping their money.
You seem to be making a mistake there in the perceived attack source, and that browsers are the only source for all your virus attacks. Data Collection is not the direct attack that you seem to expect that will do your system harm, think identity theft. You also seem to expect a porn site to install malicious software, it does not. Infact a lot of the stuff you are preaching here is actually the result windows defender working just fine. IDK what browser you are using but I bet its got some built in protections as well. Installing a AV on your PC will not interfere with whats already available except if its crap.

What you seem to be preaching here is awareness that only you can give, you are preaching to the choir, and you are insulting doing it. I dont mind its a good laugh. So keep on truckin'.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

You highlighted something that has nothing to do with your original statement. You made the claim that they collect data even when the user says not to, back it up.

Hell, the part you highlighted wasn't even a true statement...

System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Mouse and cat
Software 7, 10, CentOS
I mean if you can teach someone how to install a crap 3rd party bloated AV then you can teach someone to hit control alt delete and kill the process or crash the machine and reboot (and if you get that far then how has defender done its job because if you don't do either of those things I imagine it very well could install a PUP or worse no problem).

Not at all trying to insult anyone... actually anyone telling someone to use a 3rd party AV is insulting me so if we are going to be all touchy feely well I am insulted! LOL.

Trucking hardens you man.... so take what I say as if we were neighbors and friends.

I simply do not and will never ever believe in AV.

Some 3rd party tools at most...but nothing running...ever!

And yes AV interferes! They are all resource hogs and annoying at the very very least.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
System Name Frankenstein
Processor AMD 8120 3.10
Motherboard AsRock
Cooling air
Memory 16
Storage a bunch
Display(s) 27" IPS
Case beat
Mouse and cat
Software 7, 10, CentOS
Well yes and no....just because you have a more powerful machine and more RAM you don't "feel"it...sometimes.

They are massive hogs if you take the time to see it...knock yourself down to 4GB of RAM and tell me then.