1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Awesome Site !! Kool Forums ! My Contribution to the Site!

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by LoLo, Aug 16, 2004.

1. LoLo Guest

:cool: Very Nice! I don't have a clue how I found it, I just got my first ATI card in many years after swearing I'd NEVER use another piece of ATI hardware. Thanks to the old Rage Fury Maxx a dual prosessor card with 64mb of memory on it several years back. It was one of the first of the "big memory" (over 32mb) cards out and cost a fortune. (over $445 at the time here in Hawaii) and to be truthful ATI hasn't changed much.
    The Rage Fury Maxx did just that, made the user furious and no matter what you did or told ATI they just kept on stringing ya along. There Drivers were always there big problem and it seems it still is from the amount of modded drivers and hacked drivers I've found for the current ATI card.
    The Maxx Fury was near impossible to install in W98se if you had a Tyan VIA board like I did it instantly black screened locked at the bios screen! You had to safe mode to video properties and turn acceleration all the way off! Then if you were lucky get the 4in1 VIA in then the ATI rage drivers and restart then it took 3-4 restarts before your sys actually knew it had a ATI card. It ran at 8bit color the entire time. Then once it found the card and did one driver install at a time for each of the cards processors restarting in between drivers.
    Then you turned the acceleration on and hoped.... if it didnt crash you were ok. One deviation from that rutine and it was black screen failure.
    Of course ATI had no mention of this procedure in the manual of readme. It took several shouting sessions on the phone to get a tech to come up with the bizzare ritual to install the thing. It had 2 giant fans on it made a lot of noise and was a miserable performer. A $49 dollar Comp USA Gforce 2 32mb card even beat the thing! What a let down :(

Back to the new cheap pos LOL I cant complain, A friend gave me his old ATI 9000 Pro 128mb ddr card. I had been using a Gainward Gforce 2 Ti Golden Sample 64mb ddr 400 clock 400 mem that killed the ATI 9000 Pro and a 5200 Gforce 128mb card in 3Dmark 2003 by over 1500 points!
    I did a fresh install of XP Pro nLite w/SP-1 (a modified installer for XP that lets you chose what you want to install.. No Bloatware MS junk, no junky games, no messenger, no lookout exploder, anyway you want it.) my XP finished install is 625mb! A bit better than the standard near 2 gig XP install. By far faster and much more stable without all the crap running in the background. Just removing the langauges (leaving yours in of course) takes like 400mb off the finished size.
    It also integrates SP-1 for you and gives the option of burning a CD of your customized install with the CD key info integrated into it so you can do a true hands off install.

The first run with the 9000 Pro was dismal. A search for drivers turned up more differnt tweaked "tuned" drivers than I could believe. Leading me to my inital assumption ATI can't write proper drivers. I finally got it to match the 5200 Gforce by ocerclocking it and using some tricks. The 5200 was bone stock with generic old drivers. The Gforce was simple, just put it in and bang your good to go. Especially the Golden Sample Gainward card I traded for the 9000 :( Oh well, all my comps are built from other peeps junk! LOL Even my server that hosts my forums and web site is from old junk and I have it inside a "CoolCase" hehe a Panasonic bar refergirator! Its a 500 Celery running at nearly 1 gig and it's laying on a rubber mat on the middle shelf of the refer! With beer and soda! Been running 24/7 on win 200 server for 147 days and counting!

::::NO SITE PIMPING::::

Anyway, that's my contribution to the best ATI Driver site I came across so far. Thanks Guys!

btw, I found a French place that has some cool installs with all the tweak tools 3x over LOL Called Spirit Driver. The version I got a week ago was Cat 4.8 with 3 differnt OC tools and 3dRage control panel, plus Ray Adams cool util and more.
    I havent ran your drivers yet to see how they do compared to the Spirit setup but the install you guys have is so much cleaner than the Spirit one.
    It left crap open while another window covered it so you couldn't get to it to close and made the uasual ATI cannot install drivers. Please start with standard vga driver problem and that was with the windows XP driver from a clean install!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2004
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Frozen New Member

Thanks Received:
    I believe this GIANT post is advertising and site pimping somewhat...

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Slayerstaps New Member

Thanks Received:
    Somewhat but not all......

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Frozen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fixed.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. LoLo Guest

Eh??? Geeze you took it the wrong way dood....

All I was doing was giving you guys a link to a site that offers a killer utility for making custom installs of Windoes..... I'm sorry you feel that way as it's a great way to boost the performance and stability of XP. Plus it's free.

I assumed the members would be interested and posted my own results with it.

Sorry for screwing up when I was only trying to give a little something back... :(

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Frozen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry man...dont want to be an ass, but i thought it sounded lots like site pimping...

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. LoLo Guest

NP. I lost the address to here, stumbled on to it by accident fooling with the ATI Tool. :)

Just so there's no misunderstanding I have absolutly nothing to do with that site nor was I advertising the software I mentioned.

It just lets you take all the junk you never use out of XP and add the drivers you want and make a new xp install cd that has whatever drivers you want instead of the old MS ones.

Without all the crap it installs way quicker also.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Gambit New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well site pim or not thank you for the info I went and looked it over and am going to do some research on that more sounds sweet as he** and I wld tell any one else to check it out also sounds cool!!!

10 Year Member at TPU