1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Awkard Internet Problem

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by dcf-joe, Apr 11, 2010.

1. dcf-joe

dcf-joe

Thanks Received:
    I have been using this same computer on the same connection for about a year now, and this is the only time this has happened before. My ISP is Earthlink, but I pay my monthly bill to Time Warner.

Whenever I try watching videos, on ANY site, ANY time of the day, the video player always stops and says that the video is buffering, it it will not play the video. So, I think to myself that maybe my internet is slowing down. I pay for 7 MB/s DL, with no monthly download capping. Whenever I go on speedtest.net, my DL and UL speeds are all within normal ranges :confused: I then proceed to download a random file from microsoft.com, to check if my real world DL speeds are within normal ranges. They are, about 815 kb/s :confused:

I wonder, has my ISP finally found out about my torrenting and they are purposely doing this to me whenever I watch videos???

2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    If they have done this (unlikely) drop them as your provider.

Best thing to do is call and say your internet is broken (yes lie), just flat broken. They will say things look ok on their end, say it still does not work. When they "fix" it again, try to stream youtube or something. If it works yay! If not, say then, "I cannot steam youtube anymore!" They will most likely fix.

dcf-joe says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You pay for 7Mb/s, which is about 875KB/s. So you speeds seem to be normal.

It might just be the site you are streaming the video from that is causing the problem.

angelkiller and dcf-joe say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  4. dcf-joe

dcf-joe

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I will wait ONE more day and then I will follow Private Caboose's advice.

@ newtekie1, this does not happen just on youtube, but on EVERY site that I try to watch vidoes on. However, the main site containing the video loads up PERFECTLY :confused:

And, that confused emoticon on my real world DL speed was not for my 815 kb/s speed, that is normal, but rather it was for my predicament.

5. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Sounds to me like they are monitoring the streaming video and steeping the connection down to hinder your enjoyment in order to ease their network! Roadrunner was doing it in my area and with enough complaints to the people offering the streaming such as netflix or cinemanow and the likes (big hitters that rely on people like you and me to pay our subscriptions) and they opened there muscle of complaints and badabing badaboom now everything streams great...

PS...until its straighten out just hit the pause button and let the player you use cache some of the video so you don't get the stutter ..or buffering issue.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you conenct through a router - it could be the router itself . . . I've run into such issues with Verizon's PITA equipment.

Or, your ISP might start capping you if you start reaching a certain limit over the course of a month . . . IIRC, there were some ISPs doing this not too long ago . . .

7. dcf-joe

dcf-joe

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, the entire problem started about yesterday, and I have just let it stay there and load before I watch the video. But, I should not have to, after all, I do have 7 MB/s internet service :mad:

I do not see why they have the right to cap us, because we pay them for internet service, and our contract said NO download caps.

8. dcf-joe

dcf-joe

Thanks Received:
    Alright, after several days of dealing with Earthlink, I got my problem fixed!!!

Basically, they had documented about 456 counts of torrenting on my internet connection, which is all true and I am lucky that I am not in any trouble at all. However, after coming up with some elaborate lies, I fixed everything with them and my video streaming is awesome. I can watch 1080p videos on youtube without pausing anymore to buffer!

9. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Interesting... I don't torrent frequently (only do when I need something, I never seed though) but I still need to buffer 1080P videos and I'm paying for 10Mb/s down, though I usually get about 20. I might have to give Time Warner/Road Runner a call and start b*tching.

10. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I would absolutely call them and ask if they are limiting you.
    Some isp's have been known to limit bandwidth after your reach a certain point.
    They also are known to leave that in the "very" fine print where you never see it.

Could also be due to peak time performance issues?
    Maybe the time you are on has a lot of other users connected similarly reducing your connection.
    Range from the main hub can also be a limiting factor but you tested your speed.

Mine varies like crazy, watching movies on some sites it buffers like super fast, way to fast.
    the on another site, the same movie file, same size could take hours.
    Try different sites.
    I watch movies at watch movie links.net and stagevu mostly.
    Lots of links to choose from to give you the best chances of finding a high speed.

11. dcf-joe

dcf-joe

Thanks Received:
    I would also call them too kantastic.

I promise you, I pay for a 7 MB/s connection, with no download/bandwidth cap, and I DO NOT have to buffer for 1080p videos on youtube.