1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

B/S/T Forum Section Ideas

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by Kursah, Mar 31, 2009.

?

What should we do about starting B/S/T threads?

Poll closed Apr 14, 2009.
  1. Solution 1 - The Form System

47.6%
  2. Solution 2 - Checkbox Agreement/Acknowlegement System

19.0%
  3. Something different, see thread...

9.5%
  4. No changes needed

23.8%
  1. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I'm creating this thread because of a situation I replied to here and a couple ideas I've had rolling around for a couple months. Erocker and I have talked about these, as I see him getting grief of said section that he covers. He's doing a damn good job in my opinion, as a mod in 2 other forums I envy his patience and persistence. On that note, the page where my post starts in the "What's wrong with our forum?" thread:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=1289530#post1289530

In case you don't care to go there, I'll quote the couple of ideas I had to help with the B/S/T section of the forum, not just to help clean up that area, but to ensure the rules are understood and followed, or erocker's job is easier, and really because users not following the rules for that section is causing more grief than it should. I hope these ideas can bring some sort of agreement between staff and members, I mean no offense by this, but enough is enough...I've watched for months what that section is like, not saying the sellers that dont' upload images are bad sellers either, hell one of the worst scammers on TPU had images...but besides that point, here are my thoughts:

So let's get the ball rolling, I'd like to know what is able to be accomplished on the staff side of this, and I'd like to see what everyone thinks, is this really needed? I think something needs to be done, and instead of getting more mods to watch the section, we can help by reporting, pm-ing the poster of said thread instead of filling the thread, we can use forms to keep things uniform, which I think is a great idea, or we can do nothing. Who knows, between all the members here I'm sure better ideas await, and I'd love to see them, feel free to critisize or change my ideas around, if we can come up with something that is easy to deal with on both ends, and makes everyone aware of how the b/s/t section works on TPU, I think that'd be progress and one less problem in the "what's wrong with our forum" thread.

2. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I vote for the Form style. Anyone not posting in proper Form will have a locked thread.

I still think less valuable items should not require a pic. I say cap the picture requirements at $20 and anything less does not require a pic.

Good idea Kursah! :toast:

Kursah says thanks.
  3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I'd say all or nothing with images tbh...the more rules and adjustments to said rules, the more issues can arise. I mean who wants to take a picture of a sata cable they wanna sell for 50 cents right? I totally agree, but with digital cameras, techpowerup.org, paint.net...is it really that hard to take a quick snap and go? gotta cell phone? Take a pic and e-mail to yourself...there are plenty of solutions. If you have an overall image of everything you want to use, just crop or circle the part that is being sold.

I just worry if a low-sale-value cap is put on what gets a picture and what doesnt is allowed, it's just another problem waiting to happen...it'd probably be really pointless, but it could still happen. I am kind of torn on the limit, but that is a good suggestion that needs talked out, thanks for bringing it up! I really hadn't thought of it that way tbh.

:toast:

4. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    I voted form style to sounds pretty reasonable to me.

5. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I like the form system. As it stands, the system is good, just alot of people (Myself included) don't post a pic the second the thread is posted. Plus, as a mod, it's impossible to keep everyone happy. If you have the form system, then you flat can't post without a pic.

If it stays the way it is, then it should be no picture = lock, the PM a mod to get it opened when you have your pic. Not if you are popular, or have a ton of posts, or have a good reputation, then you can put the pics up whenever.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i know this sounds like i think my thread is best or whatever but i feel its one of the easier to navigate. maybe we should set the threads up to look similar to mine?

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=77880

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am more for solution 2... although this idea would work...
    Make it 14d min before buying AND selling on the forums... and for the first 14 days have ONLY the rules thread show up and also include "solution 2".

edit- I will admit cdawall your B/S/T thread looks mighty sexy. lol

8. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I like it cdawall, it is clean and easy to read, understand and navigate. Definately worth some food for though. Next question would be, how would that be enforced? Would a form be made to post like that? Would a template be made to copy? Would it be merely suggested?

9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps make it so the (first) post wont happen if theres no [​IMG]

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    A form wouldn't be a bad idea, it forces people to give the required information and makes it easier to search. W1z has to be in the mood to create it though.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    I agree with the above post but also I find that it might take away from the work in layout some of the better salesmen use to make their products desirable. I might be missing something in the form idea, but paper work is paper work... it's not enjoyable and it's not pretty. If I have to wait for my list to be approved I might as well sell somewhere else to save the hassle/save the time. This may make mods more alert but also more busy. It's sort of late for me to be thinking, but to me this seems like more work for the people responsible without a great return for the forums. Can you explain what we'd gain out of this besides a unique way to B/S/T on the forums? A separate form type will have to be used for all three classifications of business. Having all three in the same thread will most certainly be challenging to implement. Look... I know there are a few good people who sell things on the forum not including myself because I'm not, and they all follow the rules. Newcomers are quickly reminded to learn the rules, and thus it prevents further problems.

12. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    This is not some commercial market place, this is a service aimed at us geeks to get rid of our leftover crap. So I don't think there should be flashy banners and bullshit marketing crap in the first place. In fact I hate all the bumping for the same reason.
    Basically it would be nice if I can enter my location and enter what I'm looking for. ie I select Europe, videocard and it shows users selling videocards in Europe. All nice stories about those cards are irrelevant, our user base should know what those cards are, thus not need two pages of specs.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:

14. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Solution 2 is easier to implement, and still leaves you with the flexibility of making the OP the way you want to.

alexp999 says thanks.
  15. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    What I said in a nutshell :toast:

16. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Every mmo, beta test and a lot of software starts with a EULA, which is what such a solution basically is. Everyone who ever read a EULA raise their hands...

There are stickies and forum guidelines, most people never read those. I don't think another message makes any difference.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I think a form is a bad idea.

Maybe something at the bottom when you try and submit the thread that says.

Have you read the rules?

If your post does not include a picture, it will be closed.

18. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    -raises hand @ the request of the most pessimistic person on TPU-

Well you might not like the work people put into their threads, but they keep it updated, organized, and like you said it's
    So it serves me as well, the geek with the leftovers. Don't met me wrong I don't NEED a flashy banner to sell a leftover pump or heat spreaders. Go look at AnandtechBBS's B/S/T section. That's stripped down to the minimum. On TPU, with the ability to customize our own OP, we can offer people more information and do it in a way that is pleasing to the eye.

19. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Like I said, people just answer yes. Read our forum guidelines and read the forum. You'll conclude most people have not bothered to read them, it's a well known fact. Basically everyone blindly agrees with such statements. "Yes I agree to the terms of use, I read the EULA, I did have sex with a donkey, bla bla". People won't read the donkey part, they'll just check the box and click next.

I'm not a pessimist, I'm just extremely critical. You claim things are organized, perhaps the OP in a sale is. Yet if I were to look for something specific I'd have a hard time finding it, there is no way to effectively search through sales, you can only look through each thread manually. The forums search engine isn't very useful here, whomever is the most popular gets the most bumps and stays at the top. Just count all the "bump because the OP has pretty eyes"-posts.
    As for layouts if they are, pretty as they might be, all different it's even harder. If everyone had the same layout and a little space for additional comments a script could make searching easier, and you'd know exactly where to look on your screen for the information you want. Customization isn't a good thing per se.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You know how EULAs are written, it's not necessary that every agreement looks like GPL. A simple:

Clicking "I agree" takes you to the New Post page. Besides, the text in the agreement is so concise, that the poster gets no excuse not to have read (and agreed to) it. You get to close threads / issue infractions without wasting your time on "please re-read rules" posts, or anything that follows your actions. It adds convenience.

21. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    To me, I think that the Second Idea would be the best one out there.. Easier for everyone to understand, and hey, if you don't do it right.. Boom, closed, infracted, and less hassle.. Better on everyone.. IMHO.. Just have to have something built for whatever goes on.

22. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I do agree with Cold and beta on option 2. For sure, one it would be a lot easier to implement imo...considering something similar is already in use for dead threads when you want to revive them. I'd say keep the message simple like beta suggests, just like a 1-4 kind of deal.

But I still like option one for the fact that there are a lot of people that don't take much time to have much for organization, some are almost cryptic, this could help in that area in helping to make their fs items go faster without resorting to ebay. Keeping it simple would be the way to go though, a few boxes to fill out, maybe integrate techpowerup.org's picture uploader into the add image slot, call it good. I think overall this would do a better job because it's ensuring you are not just aware by glimpsing past a quick warning, but by actually having to post the thread correctly. It might be a headache for a few, but I think it'd save a lot more headaches in the longer scheme of things.

All you'd need is item name, description, price, picture. A quick and easy form, and maybe allowing a certain value limit to if pictures need posted or not, say 20 bucks like earlier suggested. Really I think if you have something to sell, take a damn picture of it, get over it and move onto the next item of sale, finish up the thread, post it and go from there. Great input so far, I'm hoping to see more post their suggestions and feelings on this topic. Thanks to those that have!

23. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im for the form. I think it will makes things more organized with all of the threads looking the same.

24. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    how about both?

fill out the form... check the box and be on your way to selling stuff.

Kursah says thanks.
  25. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    I'm not against whatever changes are proposed, however I am a firm believer in the old saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Threads that follow the rules don't get closed. The threads that don't follow them do. I think the Mods do a great job in enforcing the rules there. Which brings me to say that it makes little difference IMHO what extra requirements are enforced, because a) the forum/threads will still have to be moderated, and b) some people will still find a way to screw it up. It is simple really, list your references, list your items, list your prices, and post the (expletive deleted) pictures with your Herbie Handcock in them. If ya don't like those rules, check ebay out.

10 Year Member at TPU