• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

B450M DS3H and 3200 Mhz ram cards.

Eiox

Hello, i purchased a couple of Vengeance something or other 3200Mhz ram cards as i was using 2133 Mhz ones and it seemed to be working fine for a while but checking CPU-Z recently came back with the following when i remember it being at just under 1600 something Mhz.

CPU-Z.png

I don't really know what most of these mean but i know you just double the frequency to get what it's running at.

I've had a look in my bios settings and I'm unsure why they're still running at 2133mhz. I'm not a total noob but this was the first time I built a PC myself and I'm unsure on how to set the frequency and everything properly. Not sure if relevant or not by my CPU is a Ryzen 7 2700x. When i try to change X.M.P i have profile 1 or disable. I've googled and googled and seen all sorts like it might be my BIOS version being out of date for example (It's F32, I did update it a couple of times from default but i read somewhere that it's not necessarily a great idea to update your BIOS unless you need to so yeah). I've checked compatibility and according to the official gigabyte page it should have no issue with 3200mhz and even higher mhz cards. I'd prefer to ask someone a little more experienced with BIOS settings as I'm worried ill mess up and break something somewhere. Here are some screens of my BIOS

First.jpg

Just to say, it's not clear in the picture but the third down Memory Freq is actually slightly greyed out and unselectable. Unsure if relevant.

Second.jpg

Third.jpg

Voltage.jpg

I'm not sure if i've provided enough or missed if anything, if so let me know, Just want to know for sure that everything is set up correctly. Thanks in advance.

P.S: Also i can't remember the cards full names but i believe before i bought them i checked if they were compatible with my motherboard and they were so.

Last edited:
Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
So you've changed the XMP to profile 1 and the frequency was still 2133?

Eiox

So you've changed the XMP to profile 1 and the frequency was still 2133?
Correct, the only two i have are profile one and disable, disable i can't remember what it's at but it's not what's intended :p

System Name Fat NCASE
Processor Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550M ZAKU (WIFI) Edition
Cooling Scythe Fuma with 3 SCYTHE Wondersnail 2400RPM + Arctic MX2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 128GB @3200Mhz Cl16 (32GB X 4)
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 StormX ITX 12GB
Storage MX500 4TB SATA + Toshiba MG08 16TB HDD
Display(s) LG 27UL500 4K monitor
Case Jonsbo W2 black
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek 1200 & Soundblaster G3 usb
Power Supply ASUS ROG STRIX 850W Gundam Edition
Mouse Elecom wireless mouse :)
Keyboard RK100 Royal Kludge
Software Windows 10 HOME
Benchmark Scores Don't know any benchmark. It runs good enough for me.
Sometimes bios never changed to xmp mode. If that is the case you can just manual set the 3200mhz, set voltage 1.35v and follow the timings according the xmp info table. This was what happened to my old msi b350 board with corsair ram.

Eiox

Sometimes bios never changed to xmp mode. If that is the case you can just manual set the 3200mhz, set voltage 1.35v and follow the timings according the xmp info table. This was what happened to my old msi b350 board with corsair ram.
Do you mean in the advanced timing control cause it might as well be in chinese at this point i have no idea what any of the values mean or anything. Even xmp info table i'm not sure about how to get that, This is what i mean i need to know exactly in some steps what i'm doing because i'm not comfortable playing about with things i don't understand. If you could please dumb it down for us simple folk that'd be appreciated :)

System Name Fat NCASE
Processor Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550M ZAKU (WIFI) Edition
Cooling Scythe Fuma with 3 SCYTHE Wondersnail 2400RPM + Arctic MX2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 128GB @3200Mhz Cl16 (32GB X 4)
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 StormX ITX 12GB
Storage MX500 4TB SATA + Toshiba MG08 16TB HDD
Display(s) LG 27UL500 4K monitor
Case Jonsbo W2 black
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek 1200 & Soundblaster G3 usb
Power Supply ASUS ROG STRIX 850W Gundam Edition
Mouse Elecom wireless mouse :)
Keyboard RK100 Royal Kludge
Software Windows 10 HOME
Benchmark Scores Don't know any benchmark. It runs good enough for me.
Do you mean in the advanced timing control cause it might as well be in chinese at this point i have no idea what any of the values mean or anything. Even xmp info table i'm not sure about how to get that, This is what i mean i need to know exactly in some steps what i'm doing because i'm not comfortable playing about with things i don't understand. If you could please dumb it down for us simple folk that'd be appreciated :)

I see. I do have gigabyte board myself now though I am not sure if the screen is similar enough for me to show you a one to one step. Have you tried updating the bios yet?

If it can work with xmp setting would save you alot of headache.

Edit : Could take pics of the bios screen for each menu? Even for me myself I don't quite know the intricacies of Ram itself and I follow templates myself.

Last edited:

Eiox

Well i updated the bios a couple of times but i then read somewhere on some hardware forum or even reddit that it's not strictly necessary to update it unless you need to

I see. I do have gigabyte board myself now though I am not sure if the screen is similar enough for me to show you a one to one step. Have you tried updating the bios yet?

If it can work with xmp setting would save you alot of headache.

Edit : Could take pics of the bios screen for each menu? Even for me myself I don't quite know the intricacies of Ram itself and I follow templates myself.
Okay i'll do that. i did take pictures of some of them but there's so many im not 100% sure exactly what you would need. You're able to see the pictures in my initial post right? Wouldn't even know if everything is configured correctly all i know is that it runs pretty flawlessly, perfect FPS on ultra on 99% of games but even so i paid for 3200mhz ram so i want to be getting 3200 mhz not 2133 mhz haha.

Last edited:
System Name The work PC /2700x/5950x
Processor 3900X stock/ 2700x stock/ 5950x 4200 MHz fixed @ 1,056-1,08V
Motherboard Gigabyte AORUS Master X570/2xMSI X470 M7 AC
Cooling Custom WC XSPC RX480, Laing DDC, XSPC Laing DDC Top V3 and EK Velocity/NH15/NH-U12S SE
Memory 32 GB Viper 3600/14 /16 GB Trident Z F4-4000C18D-16GTZSW 3600 /32 GB G Skill Flare CL14 3400
Video Card(s) 2070 Super X MSI/GTX 970 MSI/ GTX 970 MSI
Storage 1 TB SSD+500 GB NVMe / 500 GB SSD/ 500 GB SSD
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2518D/2408WFP
Case Corsair 800D / Lian test bench/NZXT 500
Power Supply AX 850 Titanium/AX 860i/AX 760
Software Dual boot/Win 7 & 10 / Linux / Win 10
What is printed on your RAM sticks? CL16-18-18-49 DDR4-3200 1.3V? If you can’t make XMP work it could be because you are mixing XPM and manual timing mode. My BIOS is different and I’m not going to take you by hand and guide you, just point you in hopefully the right direction. What are the options for timing mode? Auto? Try that. If that dosn’t work then go to the top and disable XMP. Now you are in manual mode and you will punch in the basic numbes. The numbers on your sticks (card is GPU) is CAS (tcl), tRCDRD, tRCDWR - don’t know but use the same as tRCDRD, tRP and tRAS so 16, 18, 18, 18 and 49 are the one you type in in Standard timing control using the numbers I picked as a guess above. Use 3200 as system memory not the 4200 you used. Try 1.35 V, you can lower it later if all is well. Save and exit. You might need to clear CMOS if it dosn't work. Learn how to do that.
Good luck in learning something about your PC.