• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Backup Windows Vista

Fusion

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz 2x4mb
Motherboard Asus P5Ne-SLI nVIDIA 650 SLi
Cooling Stock Intel CPU cooler, 1x 120mm case fan, 1x 80 case fan
Memory A-DATA DDR2 PC5300 2048MB CL5
Video Card(s) eVGA 8600GTS 512MB
Storage 1x Western Digital Caviar 2 200GB SATA, 1x Maxtor 80GB IDE, 1x Toshiba 400GB USB
Display(s) 17" BenQ FP731 (Cost £250 4 years or so ago, and still no gosting on games @ 25ms response :D)
Case Antec NSK 4400
Audio Device(s) Create Audigy 2 ZS Platinum eX
Power Supply Hiper 580w PSU (Moduler) 630w peak
Software Windows XP Home SP2, Office 2007 Enterprise, Adobe Photoshop 7.0, Dreamweaver 8
Hi Guys

Earlier today I was asking around about a new laptop. I have decided to hold off and wait until my current laptop finally dies, so that I can afford to buy a nice shiny one, and an 8800GTS 640mb for my PC :D

Anyway I have a new 80gb hdd on the way for the laptop, and wondered if anyone had any recomendations how I could transfer the hole hdd from the old one to the new one. I don't have a DVD-RW drive in my lappy, but network is an option (leave it running overnight :D) as I have a DVD-RW in my main computer. I have used 9GB of my 20 GB hdd, as this is a fresh install, and only has a few of the programs on it.

I am running Vista Ultimate 32x on both the desktop and laptop, and XP Home on another older computer.

Thanks as always :respect:

Fusion

---

Edit: If I use the builtin Windows Backup feature, and transfer the backup files to DVD, would I be able to restore them to the new HDD, without installing windows on it? ie. make some sort of a boot disk?

Last edited: