• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad drive in need of replacing. Immediately or do I have a few months?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
some of the WDGreens have a issue related the head parking causing early failure

Like the deathstar, makes me wonder about the sshd i had before i got fed up and moved to the raptor( power saving affects gaming)

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
Na I'm not bothered with the remaining files. Nothing overly important!
I now have a 3TB Seagate drive, but again, the files aren't really important, ill just have to download steam games again instead of using my back ups.
What I did want to know is what is up with the WD red drives? I don't know if I want to use them as a regular drive?

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
What I did want to know is what is up with the WD red drives? I don't know if I want to use them as a regular drive?
I was wondering about WD Red drives too. Seems like Greens are more meant to be powered down most of the time. WD Red drives sound more like low power, always on, always being accessed.

Actually, the blog at Puget Systems has a rather nice comparison of the two. Red drives sound considerably more desirable for quiet, low power, always-on storage. Used as a storage drive to compliment a SSD, I think the greens would head-park excessively. I wonder if that delay can be modified.

Edit: Quoted from the review, looks like that delay can be modified, although it's not advertised as such.
One thing we want to point out is that WD does have a utility called WDIDLE3 that can change the parking delay on Green and Red drives. It is only available for download through one of their legacy drives (so no guarantee that it will work for all models) but we have successfully used it to change the parking delay on a number of Green and Red drives. So if you have a Green drive but want to make the delay longer (or want to shorten the delay on a Red drive) you currently are able to do so.

Edit 2: 7200 RPM WD Red drives appear to be labeled under the "WD Red Pro" badge.