1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

bad flash

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cdawall, Sep 25, 2006.

1. cdawall

cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i got a bad flash yesterday my system it no longer even loads the post screen HELP

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    Tried blind flashing it yet? Which BIOS did you screw up? Video card or mobo?

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    If you screw a bios mobo, check if your motherboard has a second onboard bios. If yes set the jumpers to it. Then try to update your primary bios with the latest one at whataver brand your mobo comes from.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    if not, go look for a new mobo or rma

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, thats the main reason, I say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". There is just too much risk. I had an od mobo that when you reset the CMOS, it reverted back to the original BIOS, but it's the only one I have ever seen that would do it. You could try that, but I think, if it's the MOBO, you might be screwed.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    If you can't blind flash it, than your motherboard has a removable BIOS chip. Simply remove it, order a new one from the manufacture, pop it in, and go. No need to RMA, or buy a new board.

Attached Files:

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    i saw it had the removable chip and all that but how do i blind flash (it was the mobo) can i do it w/o a hdd pluged in cause thats the only way i can get it to see the floppy and i guess if that dont work ill be talking to machspeed cause it has a lifteime warrenty and ill be taken them up on that :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    well thanx for the help guys looks like im sending off for a new bios chip:shadedshu looks like ill be using a celeron 466 till that arrives crap thats slow a full 433mhz and 192mb ram plus a 4gb hdd jeez not even the internet is fast

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Canuto

Canuto New Member

Thanks Received:
    I warned you yesterday those two mobos were different :shadedshu

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    u cant hotflash?

i have had to hotflash chips many times, just boot a working system that uses the same kind of chip using a flash floppy, then swap chips(make sure you put it in properly) then put in the proper flash commands(google for them, dont want to get reported for spaming again due to links) then swap chips back, once ur system us booted you dont need the bios chip anymore so swaping out the chip from a booted board is fine its not gonna crash the system or anything.

i have hotflashed bios chips between via and nf2/3/4 and even sis boards, main thing is to have a board thats not got the bios lock function enabled(jumper on some in bios on others) then use the proper flash commands.

good luck and if you endup buying/getting a new bios chip i advice you boot from it, save its bios, swap chips, flash old chip with current bios as a backup(i got 2 backup chips here, saved me a few times due to costom bios flash problems)

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    i didnt falsh to the other mobo i flashed w/ all my options unlocked (thermal throttling etc.):cool: it was nice till i decided to unlock some other things i found in the bios and didnt reboot between making the bios and flashing it :banghead: man im just stupid all i need now is for machspeed to reply yes we will send it or no we wont :mad: hurry up machspeed

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Canuto

Canuto New Member

Thanks Received:
    They will you'll see ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    they will, but they may charge u for it :p

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    thats why i want them to send the chip first then ill send the ummm lets just say "wrecked while flashing to A10 chip ;)" this way if they find out oh the f well

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    normally they just want you to pay to ship it back you know they pay one way you pay the other :nutkick: oh yeah

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. Canuto

Canuto New Member

Thanks Received:
    :cool: It's fair

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    it is and you know what i think long live lifetime warrenties cause man they are the best :eek: asus aint got nuthin on that neither does gigabyte or ecs cause there boards are no were near as pimping as this one:pimp: oh yeah go machspeed/jetway who is appearently the same damn company:confused: all the boards are the same how sad is that the only diff is mine is made in the good ol' USA and jetway is from *caugh*chinese sweatshop *caugh*

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    gigabyte,msi,asus like to chage to send you a new bios chip, foxconn,ecs,abit,epox,biostar tend to just GIVE you the chip if you have the skill to swap them yourself :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    well mcahspped said if i send them the WHOLE DAMN BOARD they will fix it cause they dont actually remove the chips (assholes) so im stuck w/ no fix at all grrrr you know this may not be 100% legal but im thinking of paying the local fry's a visit and swapping bios chips of one of there boards

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol i have done that ;) k7s5a i flashed wrong, swaped bios chips booted sawped chips back flashed that, kept the 2nd board as a backup(was only like 30-40bucks with a crappy cpu)

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    lol im just going to try to upgrade to sAM2 and a sempron 2600 ir so

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    cdawall: if ur looking for matx boards biostar tforce6100 is one of the best matx boards u can get(avalable in s754/939/am2 versions) i would try and get a cpu with a 10multi, it would easly beable to ramp up to 2.7gz, cheap 2gb ram kit the onboard video isnt bad, its got pci-e expantions for video/whatever else u want.

another option is the ati/amd 1100chipset matx board from ecs, they are highly thought of by users(check egg reviews and some tech forums other then here)

if u want full atx i can STRONGLY reccomend the biostart tforce550, its great, easy to deal with, memtest86+ builtin, just a great board for a great price(80bucks retail, 53bucks open box)

reasion i reccomend a 10x mutli chip is that they overclock easyer, these chips are MADE to overclock i got the 3500+ because at the time it was under 100bucks(a64 3500+) hit 2.7 with ease, higher i can do i can get to 2.8 or 2.9 but i have to slack the memory timings out because the chips memcontroler gets finiky at higher clocks, the perf loss due to high latancy made it so my real perf was no better at 2.9 then it is at 2.7.

now remmber a64 clock is king BUT must be balanced with memory latancy, bandwith means nothing to a64 even dual chanil means NOTHING but high latancys can kill ur perf, 4-4-4-12@675 gives you more bandwith then you chip can use as it is, 800 is excessive.

DO NOT BUY HIGH SPEED RAM anything rated over 800 will likely not post in an am2 board

also u dont need high end ram this is some ocz 533stuff thats spd rated for 3-3-3-8@400, 4-4-4-12@533 5-5-5-15@667/675, the ram itself is happy at 4-4-4-12@675 t1, and will take higher mem clocks under diffrent cpu multi's but for perf i found after a week of testing that the settings im using give best results with this ram+cpu, ram ended up being 140bucks (nice MIR) cheapest kid egg had in stock at the time.

dont spend to much, as you know you can get good stuff for a good price(notes that your using machspeed not asus/msi/gigabyte/dif :)

dont fear the tforce, use it

my buddys fond of saying "use the force luke, use the force" hes the orignal tforce fan i know hes got the first 754 tforce board they put out, his e3 3400+ venice 754 is at 2.85gz with a cheap heatpipe cooler....impressive if u ask me :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    go with a 3000+, the price diference is very small :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  24. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    many of the sempy chips are fully mulity locked anyway, no up or down to them, sucks, my buddys got 3 all are locked a t 3400,3000,3100 all fully locked :(

10 Year Member at TPU
  25. cdawall

Thanks Received:
    i found a ecs sAM2 mobo adn 3800 for $120 that a good deal

10 Year Member at TPU