• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad Pump?

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro

Thoughts?

Really annoying, already had another pump go out on me with an another Asetek.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
mics in a bad place, in order to hear the pump your voice is booming out and blowing out the windows

The easiest way to deal with it is to avoid CLCs ...

1. Performance is limited by inexpensive pump which puts out a very small flow rate in comparison with custom loop products.

2. That sound, tho I had trouble hearing it, can come from various sources. If this was a municipal water supply system pumping thousands of gallons a minute, my 1st thought would be cavitation where the net positive suction head is such that the created vacuum on the suction side actually vaporizes the liquid. That pump is too weak to accomplish that so yes, entrapped air would be another possibility. Unfortunately, no way to bleed these things. Can try tipping the case to try and get it out and up in the rad where it may still make noise.

3. It could just be a piece of solder or other particulate bopping around inside.

4. How old is it... CLCs, with aluminum rads and copper blocks do this, tho that one is many years old. That crud often brakes loose and swims around until getting trapped somewhere. Read more: https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/corrosion-explored/

6. https://www.swiftech.com/drivex3aio.aspx

Given you have had this issue before, it may be time for you to get away from CLCs with mixed metals that start failing the day they are placed in service. Forgetting the component quality, the corrosion inhibitprs which slow down corrosion have a useful live if just 18-24 months ... and there's no way to replace or augment them. If you just bought it, ask for a refund. When you are ready to retire it, get an all copper unit like the Swiftech H320X ... https://www.swiftech.com/drivex3aio.aspx

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Swiftech/Swiftech_H360X3_Drive_X3_AIO/

EDIT: The jayz videos arent helping . tho I did take to heart his comment ""This is the 1st time I will be doing it right".... doing it right is something rarely seen on jayz site ... the drilling thru the MoBo to mount cooler was may fav. Did chuckle as he got skin oils all over the sticky side of the thermal pads

Last edited:
System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
The first thing I would do is remove your left side panel ,turn the computer on its back (so that the top of the pump is pointing up towards your ceiling),and while the PC is running with one of your hands grounded on the case ,touch the pump and make sure nothing is loose. Check the mounting bracket, the rear plastic plate behind the motherboard, the mounting hardware, etc.

If it's none of those things, it's likely a bad pump, but that doesn't sound like air bubbles, if I had to assign a cause to that sound, to me it sounds a lot like the plastic rear bracket tapping against the PCB of your motherboard(corsair includes a adhesive black foam tape with their mounting HW )which goes between the plastic rear bracket & the motherboard, it sounds almost like its missing

Last edited: