1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bandwidth Control

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nightelf84, Sep 16, 2004.

1. nightelf84 Guest

Do you have an broadband internet connection? If you do, you're probably sharing this connection with family members, housemate etc. You thought with broadband, you'll be fragging like mad on CS or ET.....or will you? :rolleyes:

Hi...i'm sharing my cable connection with me housemate (not very friendly) on a Netgear MR814 router. The problem is he's always downloading stuff with p2p applics and hogging all the bandwidth :mad: . My ping goes down the drain whenever he does this (very often). I was wondering if there's a way to limit his bandwidth without burning a hole in my pocket.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Xenn0X New Member

Thanks Received:
    let the basterd cap is p2p upload;) or kick him of the line hehe.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. fr33ze New Member

Thanks Received:
    i know there are ways to do it but i think you'll have to search google for it, might be lucky and get an answer here though.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Slayerstaps New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just beat the basterd...

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    check his computer for spyware and such

i share a 8/1 line with my bro (and mom actually) my server can DL crap at mad speeds while my ping stays great, my bro on the other hand can have his computer sit idle and still waste my connection, make it like 56K, guess what...

and no, i cant stop him, my bro is an ignorant idiot, i simply pull the plug from the switch now and then to keep the connection in working order if he messes it up

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Ramine New Member

Thanks Received:
    im sure there is some program to limit the bandwidth linit, hwoever you need to have a usb adsl mopdem, whic then i shared from your PC from a hub/router
    //the main pc will have to be on to do this and admin control is needed
    next you will need to set up the network, and then set the useage for the bandwidth,

long winded, but worth it

Ramine

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Trimm New Member

Thanks Received:
    If he's ignorant and you can get to his computer you can dl netlimiter and cap his dl and upload. I don't know if you can hid the program but i can be in the system tray and load every time windows load. Just search for netlimiter. I use it to cap my p2p upload.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. nightelf84 Guest

thanks so much for the ideas guys.... hmmmm....i might try the netlimiter (hmmm....just hv to sneak it :p) b4 i pull the plug on him and pretend to be asleep when he comes knocking asking why is he disconnected (router and cable point in my room LOL). Will post again the result of me *mission*

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. fr33ze New Member

Thanks Received:
    good luck nightelf84, if it works i might just try netlimiter as well, not because i need to but because i like having more bandwidth than anyone else in my house, mwu ha ha Haaa.

10 Year Member at TPU