1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

bang for the buck gpu atm!!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Pehla, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Pehla

Pehla

Thanks Received:
    some of you guys might know me as the one who use to say that top price to performacne card is hd7950
    right now,what do you think is best bang for the buck??
    in my opinion gtx 760 is what you wana go,cheaper then hd7950,cheaper then gtx 660ti witch it replaces..,and gives almoust the same perf as 7950 and in most cases beter perf then gtx 660ti
    http://www.alternate.be/MSI/N760_TF_2GD5-OC/html/product/1087132/?event=search
    i wanted to buy used gpu for around 200€ but hell i am now.. gtx 760 here i come!! :)

2. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    R9 290 is hard to beat at it's price.

Melvis says thanks.
  3. Pehla

Pehla

Thanks Received:
  4. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    GTX760 is good enough if you are ok with buying a 2GB which is below standard, since a lot of games will go around 2GB at 1080p nowadays and soon this will be even more.

A 290 is the best only if you can buy it with aftermarket cooler or you are going to watercool it. You might also find a 290 model that can be flashed to 290x

5. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    You asked for bang-for-the-buck, and didn't state any upper limit for price. The R9 290 is really in that sweet spot where you get maximum performance for your dollar. Notice I have a GTX780 and still state this...

6. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    The 760 still owns at it's price point, two will even equal or beat a Titan @ 1080p. Granted you have to deal with 2GB VRAM, but it still suffices for most games at that res. Personally I find the delayed launch on non ref models and high launch price of the 290 series off putting. Most 290x cards are still selling at $600, and they're up against OCed non ref 780s going for well under $500. The non ref delay and high launch price on 290s is losing AMD a lot of sales.

7. Ralfies

Ralfies

Thanks Received:
    Seriously? Where at?

Launch prices of the 290 series were actually really good. $399.99 for the 290 and $549 for the 290X. But now the prices have gone up by a lot. The bitcoin/litecoin miners are to blame from what I hear.

8. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    All depends where you live in the world, here in Australia the R290 is indeed the best bang for buck considering the price of the GTX 780/ti and Titan are all over $600 compared to the R290 at $480.
    Even if you go further down the scale its still the same deal with all the Nvidia cards been way more expensive then AMD cards to there performance, only when you get down to the GTX 650 TI BOOST is where Nvidia starts to make sense when spending $$$$ on a card. So it just depends on your country and how much they charge for each brand to the consumer.

9. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie PC Gaming Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Up until a month ago I would have said the EVGA 650Ti Boost SC 2Gb was the best bang for the buck, as I have always interpreted that to mean a super-affordable midrange card with really great performance. But now it's not to be found anywhere. So, I guess it's up in the air what will soon fill that role. Once prices settle, and buyers flock to the cheapest high-performance card, we shall know.

10. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Still only $470 for the MSI 780 OC at Newegg, pretty sweet deal if you ask me.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127746

What is up with the bitcoin mining affecting GPU prices? I don't get that.

11. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    AMD GPUs do better at mining then nvidia so because AMDs price point is set below nvidias the coin junkies buy them up and run the stock dry which allows retailers and e-tailers to charge w/e they want for whats left because ya know supply and demand. NOW that that is taken care of you now have a market devoid of mid to highend AMD cards making nvidia the only manu that can keep them on the shelves for the time being which in-turn creates a similar effect they now have the ability to do w/e they want with prices util AMD fixes their yields and balances the prices back out.

10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  12. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Weird, I didn't know bitcoin mining had actually turned into something lucrative for people. It started out looking like a data mining hoax. Last I'd seen every time it came up no one was even sure if there was a way to exchange them for cash.

Kind of a disgrace that this kind of thing can affect GPU prices, esp AMDs, because they're the ones that need the cash flow, and I just can't see gamers buying them at these prices, even more so ref only models.

13. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    It has been profitable for me since early 2010 when I got into it, although i now mine other things.

Why is it a problem that their prices are high. It means the demand is high. Every single gpu they produce is selling and quick. That is cashflow in the pocket and I call that a success. They just

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    AMD makes a sale either way. Why is this hurting their cash flow? The disgrace is that the company can't capitalize on this and produce more GPUs to satiate the demand and earn more sales.

james888 says thanks.
  15. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I don't know guys, I look at the 290x on Newegg and see the number of reviews, and it doesn't look very good. I can't see getting a 290x ref model for $600 when you can get OCed non ref 780s for well under $500, and I've heard plenty others say the same.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127746

16. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    When AMD has graphics cards that can scrypt hash 5x faster than NVidia cards at the same power envelope, that pricing over MSRP makes a lot of sense, even with the flaws. What scrypt hashers have done is make NVidia the obvious choice when it comes to price/performance in games. NVidia is benefiting just as much as AMD because of this.

It's comical when I think about it now that people were claiming that R9 290X was the cheap alternative to the overpriced Titan.

17. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:

oh the price is just a little bit higher than what i paid for my gtx 770, nice price :ohwell: for a 760

i need to check i think the 760 are cheaper in Switzerland :D yep around 215€ regular price

18. alwayssts

alwayssts

Thanks Received:
    I must be missing something in what you're saying...as it was true, and still is even with the raised prices versus Titan (and now more appropriately the 780ti depending upon use-case...not to mention they forced the gigantic price cut on 780 to begin with that made them competitive after these price hikes)

Yes, it's hard to argue that now 770/780 are now a slightly better deal for games than 280x and 290 (which is down-right weird to say), but the fact remains Hawaii is still a better deal (for the vast majority) than the premium nvidia charges for any products that are (stock sku) faster than amd's fastest even if in a niche market...and that's pretty pathetic.

People can say AMD would do the same, but time and time again they don't. When they have gouged (Most 7000 series originally launched at a $50 we-need-money premium) it was never to the extent nvidia has (>$600 msrp single gpu cards, for which nvidia has now had many this generation alone, let-alone earlier gens...and amd has had none...ever...even when they could have). They've always tried to stay around $400 for the most logical high-end sku since as far back as I have followed them (9700pro included), which was during the original Rage era.

Perhaps if this mess persists (which I think many agree it won't) another option for people to consider is stuff like 4GB 760/270(x) as they should become more plentiful/cheaper at some point, with the 2GB 760/270 dropping down a notch to the spaces once filled by 660ti/7800. Unlike previous generations where they existed for dubious marketing purposes, now because of higher game requirements and resolution standards finally taking flight, multi-card cost/performance realities (with current/impending fixes), as well as the density (4Gb) improvements (if they can be implemented without a new official sku) it make sense for them to gain traction.

19. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Well yeah, anyone can say that after the fact, but I don't think many people foresaw this lopsided pricing scenario with non ref OCed 780s selling so much cheaper than the ref 290x. Nvidia really could have waited until after the 290s launched before adjusting their prices, and they wouldn't have had to drop them as low. Maybe not even drop them at all considering what happened with the bitcoin thing.