1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Batman:AC Question

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMailMan78, Aug 6, 2012.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I just noticed Batman:AC installs the AMD Dual-Core optimizer on my Intel rig. Is this thing safe to uninstall and not effect the game? I would hate to uninstall it and screw the game up.

2. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    i would assume so

3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks but I dont like to assume.

4. TheOne

Thanks Received:
  5. pantherx12

pantherx12

Thanks Received:
    I would leave it "The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.
    "
    Won't cause you any mischeif.

6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ya know I should have but I rolled the dice. I uninstalled it and it ran fine. I checked MSCONFIG and the damn thing was still listed as a start up item. I found the registry entry and removed it. So far the game and everything runs ok. Time will tell. I really need to learn to leave well enough alone. :laugh:

7. TheOne

Thanks Received:
    It shouldn't have any effect on your system, as I posted earlier it is meant for older Dual-Core AMD CPU's and Windows XP.

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dyn...432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=153&lang=us
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Stamp_Counter

8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I know what it is. Its just annoying as hell it was even installed. Its just another useless process I don't want/need.

Anyway I uninstalled it and removed the start up entry in the registry. Ill post back here if it causes any issues.

9. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    I should have bough this game recently for 66% off because I am remotivated to go back and finish the first one now after seeing TDKR (never did due to GFWL refusing to see/load my saves...don't even get me started). So, in other words, finally motivated to start it over (which I never was having been halfway through grr). Also have an Nvidia card now...

10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude both Batman games are so well done, they give me hope in the future of gaming. This is how to make an epic single player experience and stay true to a character.

11. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    batman AC is a real treat... even after i'd finished the main campaign i found myself loading it up and starting a brawl with large groups for fun.....

excellent game...

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I agree, it's a fantastic game and the graphics are amazing. And don't believe those who will tell you PhysX in this game is worthless.

13. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I removed it.
    I see no point in it being there in my system.

I recall Duke Nukem doing the same thing and from what I recall caused issues with certain Intel rigs when playing the game.

EDIT:-
    Somewhat OT, those riddler trophies and riddles are really hard to find 100%.
    Can't find anymore of The Riddler's henchmen to give me the locations of the last ones.

Cat womans story line quests were easy enough though.

14. TheOne

Thanks Received:
    Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City utilize PhysX more than most other games with it and both are very fun, but in my opinion to short, and BAC is poorly optimized with DX11, and I personally wish they would have done more story based DLC's with BAC.

15. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Actually it's the DX11 implementation on the PC version of B: AC that most complained about. The only really noticeable high tesselation was on Ivy's vines, yet still the performance plummeted throughout the game. It's also noticeably hitchier in many places than Arkham Asylum was, esp in the ruined underground passages leading to the subway station.

If you grade on a curve, they're still both great games, but I feel switching from Eidos to Warner Bros Games on the publishing end resulted in a lot of little QC issues. B: AC's story also could have been done much better. Lots' of great villains, but little to flesh them or the missions with them out.

Where B: AC shines the most is it's improved combat system, added difficulty of New Game Plus mode, and the many engaging trophies, riddles and challenges it has. The interludes playing as Catwoman were kinda nice too. It had been nice if they'd included one or two missions as Robin though. Only place you can do that is in the challenge maps or the Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC, which isn't bad, but not as challenging as the game.

One thing I will always give Rocksteady kudos for is making fantastic use of UE3 in overall visual quality. No one else has utilized it as well graphically really. Not even Epic Games whom made the engine can come close to the detail they've achieved. I'm just sad to see Eidos lose the series, they were better at QC, and forum support. One of the last good publishers out there really, and since they're pretty good developers too, they understand both ends of it and take a competent, hands on approach to the publishing.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  16. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    The whole thing is poorly optimized.
    Apparently DX9 became worse after the patch.
    Possibly trying t make DX11 better.
    I think they bit off a bit more than they could chew with the whole free roam concept and Unreal Engine 3 being able to cope with it.

17. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I have it updated and have ran the DLC and I saw no performance drop even on just a GTS 250. It's not as polished performance wise as Arkham Asylum, but I doubt it's solely due to UE3 not being able to handle it, unless you mean specifically DX11 support. I blame it more on WBG not giving enough time and funding to the normal routine optimizing schemes, like making sure all non visible textures are occluded, checking for mem leaks, etc. UE3 has always been suited for large maps, that's one reason so many devs use it. Furthermore, free roam mode has nothing to do with any performance issues. If anything there is less scripts being triggered in free roam than during the normal gameplay.

18. pantherx12

pantherx12

Thanks Received:
    It is pretty close to worthless, a lot of the effects could of be run on the CPU with slightly lower accuracy.

It's cheap that they don't include atl east something similar for AMD cards.

( They could of had NON dynamic fog for example, rather than having it removed completely, could of had papers on the floor running just on CPU easily, you only have to watch the Phsyx on/off comparison video on youtube to see that physx off is just a load of shite compared to what other non phsyx games pull off)

Eh hopefully now OpenCL is starting to become more widely adopted we'll see less of that.

19. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    But you see, they aren't. No reason to get angry and bash it. It's only maybe one important game a year and if you want to see this in your game you buy NV because they say so. While I don't agree with this proprietary stuff I understand that every company tries to sell what they have through different methods. You as customer choose.

Looking forward to see PhysX in Borderlands 2 this year.

20. pantherx12

pantherx12

Thanks Received:
    Well really there is, because they do it by choice not because it isn't possible.

AMD have 25% of the GPU market now, Nvidia have 16% it is not fair at all to AMD customers.

21. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Simple fix is to pay for SDK for developers as NVIDIA does. Its not NVIDIA's fault AMD has zero developer support out there for games. NVIDIA now is helping Adobe with development. Its not just about making hardware. Its about making the hardware work with the software. NVIDIA is a software company that has a hardware division. AMD is a hardware company.......with a skeleton crew driver team.

Is NVIDIA's hardware vastly better then AMD? Hell no! Is its software support? Yup.