1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield 3 Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by TheMailMan78, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    How does Field of View video option in BF3 work?

Could anyone explain to me how the Field of View option works in BF3?

After having got my new gfx card i have been playing around with settings trying to get the game as much to my tastes as possible whilst maintaining the magic 60FPS.

After having switched FoV from 70 to 90, I noticed absolutely ZERO difference and took screenshots to prove their was absolutely zero difference.

Is it just the case that it doesn't work?

Will having FoV set to 90 instead of 70 eat up more GPU resources even though their is no visible difference on screen?

Does the lack of difference in my case have anything to do with my relatively low monitor resolution (1650*1080)'?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Uh no I definitely notice a difference like I should at 90. Wierd...

This the [GER] server in Frankfurt I saw a few of you guys playing on last night? Not sure why you'd all choose a 100+ ping...

3. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could u explain what the difference is meant to be as I have a pile of screenshots (no point in posting them) that very clearly show no difference whatsoever?

4. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Uh I can see more on the sides? Like if I were put it to 100 or 120 it would look all fish-eyed and shit.

I can't stand low FOV, such kinda killed Mass Effect 2 for me (I don't get nauseous like some but it ruins the experience if FOV too low). So I can say it's definitely working properly.

5. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    what's the point of taking ss for proof and then not showing said proof? it's one of two things - a) it's not working correctly for you, and you're right - and the pics will show that. or it is working, and you're wrong , and the pics will show that.

either way there is a point in posting them, to confirm what you are saying otherwise it means nothing.

6. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    The really was no issue with lag on that server. Just a bunch of bullets and nades flying around. :laugh:

7. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Take it from me, the pictures are identical and also nothing great too look at either cos I went away and hid on the edge of the map whilst I done this so I wouldn't be killed.

but here ya go:

FoV set to 70:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/bf3fov70.jpg/

FoV set to 90:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/bf3fov90.jpg/

8. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I play on the same res with FOV max and definitely see difference, buildings look like they are shot with wide angle lens. Maybe you have to restart the game for the FOV changes to take effect?

9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Looks to be no difference going from 70 to 90?

I think stock FOV on 1080P is nice

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Still though... I'm sure was perfectly playable with no noticeable lag but you are going to be at a disadvantage against people who are in Europe and have 10-60 ping. If that was the only option as with some more obscure mods like FH2, then fine, but just doesn't make a lot of sense to me offhand with BF3.

If there is some other attractive aspect of playing on Euro servers that people have found I am not aware...

11. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    He's actually right, I just tried it myself and there is no difference. I also used the in game fps counter and it does not show any reflection in FOV as well. I do recall this working when the game first came out but for some reason it's not working now.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    remember you have to restart your game for some things to take effect.

MatTheCat says thanks.
  13. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    so any tpu matches going on any time soon?? my handle is overclocking_23 (for some reason overclocking101 was already taken which I only say is weird because this is the only game that has ever happened to me with).

14. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Already did that and didn't notice any change to the image nor to frame rates.

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    but at least with the pictures you know it's not working and should, so that's troubleshooting for ya :)

16. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Well I'll "make sure" when I get home tonight but as I said I would notice a lower FOV and in fact just last week iirc was noticing the nice, wide view and thought to myself "glad FOV isn't screwy in this game".

17. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    we should get back on the German 2001 ticket server tonight and someone should Fraps it. :p
    What an epic battle it would be!

18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    (Yoda voice) Fraps it you say? Penis you are. Fraps with high ping makes for upset Rancor.

19. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    I would Fraps it myself but my rig can not handle that. My rig sometimes even makes my Mouse freak out for a bit. I like to say it is a tracking issue but why sporadically on the same surface that i keep really clean?

Maybe we can get our EU friend on here to Fraps it.

20. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Just finished SP. My guess is BF3 Episody Two will be (among other places) in Nueva York. The map is there...

So now you all know... it, lol.

21. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Which server? btw, use MSI Afterburner's recorder. Yea, tell me what server this is and I'll give it a go tomorrow (in like 12 hours)

22. Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Killer_Rubber_Ducky

Thanks Received:
    ask Mailman or check Associated_Death's Stats page for the last battle report

Ill be onl it later tonight again for some pwnage

23. ufgy20

Thanks Received:
    i guess i should post in here. first off im back playing PC (once in a while) and the other day while playing with chaotic and a few others on Seine Crossing i got this very strange bug.
    While on the Bridge at C trying to take control i come across roughly 10 guys. my teammate ended up dying next to me leaving me to clean up the bridge. they spawn on me and help me capture the point as im ferociously screaming I NEED A MED PACK!
    we push up into the alleyway where chaotic is destroying with the tank. i move in to repair he gets out i go to get in, getting put in the gunner seat my screen is locked looking at the wall with no HUD.
    i go to get out of the tank and BAM looks like a kill cam or something but its me, MY soldier in 3rd person view... im struggling to figure out what the hell is going on i move back into the alley way where i very poorly and clumsily kill an enemy soldier sneaking up behind us.. i then go on to ramble i dont think they can kill me guys i think im unstoppable... i move back into the alleyway and round the corner across the street all the while in 3rd person aiming at the sky getting shot at not losing HP. i then take cover in a building where a friendly spawns on me and 2 enemy soldiers are in teh room with us.. my friendly unfortunately dies and im left to struggle to kill the two... where im swiftly called out people say nice hacks Ufgy.. where by as soon as those words are spoken a grenade lands at my feet to bring upon the swift death i have escaped for so long. thus ending my 3 minute run at god mode enabled and 1 minute of 3rd person god mod skyviewing

n0tiert says thanks.
  24. n0tiert

n0tiert

Thanks Received:
    nice hack :p

yeah sometimes weird things happens, i made it up last night on the TPU Server to land the helicopter on his propellers without destroying it and getting killed, another funny thing is if you "drive your plane" to each flag u receive flag attacker and also unlock airplane parts by points :p ..... few days a go i´ve played on webhallen (se) Grand bazar and seen a hacker by focusing from us base -> ru base and killing ppl with a single shot.... ended up with a 180 -> 0 K/D

25. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I caught wind of this 3rd-person camera glitch. There's a video on the BF3 subreddit.