• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Battlefield 4 (Discussion)

Eh, Trying to carbon copy things of the past and adding on slightly newer things many times just doesn't translate well. BF2 was a long time ago, I'm not saying some of those features in that game weren't great, but lets be honest, so many people were tearing up for a comma rose, now how many here use this feature regularly?

I think they had something with the destruction, and would much rather see a greater integration of that than something like a commander for the match. I really don't want to be relying on someone else to make or break the team with leadership skills. :laugh:

I understand what you have been harping on about the destruction, and for the most part agree, but DICE had to strike a balance between strategic gameplay and destruction. Sure, in BC2 you could bring down every building in the town located in the center of Heavy Metal. Fine. But how in the hell would you play on a map such as Seine Crossing with absolutely no buildings left? It's bad enough when playing a large ticket server on Caspian Border, by the end it's a wasteland around C. It is also extremely rare that someone is shooting at me from behind an indestructible piece of cover.

I also wasn't talking about such trivial things as the comma rose, either. Do you really think the new Karkand map has the same feeling as in BF2? Not counting the entire node that is gone, they missed something that is more ubiquitous and hard to put your finger on, and it's not just nostalgic reverie clouding my judgment.

System Name Crisco / Backup
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600 / FX 6300
Motherboard ASUS X570 / Gigabyte 970-DS3p-FX
Cooling Wraith Stealth / AMD Factory
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 16 GB (3200) / G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 16 GB (1600)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 8 GB GDDR6 / Asus RX 470 8 GB GDDR5
Storage Kingston 480gb SSD, Hitachi Ultrastar 2 TB, 1 TB Caviar Black /Hitachi 500 gb, 2 Seagate 320 GB
Display(s) Viotek 34-Inch Ultrawide Curved 100Hz 3440x1440p, / 52" Sharp 1080p
Case Coolermaster Elite 430 / ROSEWILL ATX Mid Tower
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD: 5.1 Technics DD / Plantronic Gamecom 7.1 headset/5.1 Digital Home Theatre
Power Supply Thermaltake 750 watt / Corsair 550 watt Modular
Mouse Logitech G502 SE HERO / Logitech G602
Keyboard Gamesir GK100 / Steel Series
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
I understand what you have been harping on about the destruction, and for the most part agree, but DICE had to strike a balance between strategic gameplay and destruction. Sure, in BC2 you could bring down every building in the town located in the center of Heavy Metal. Fine. But how in the hell would you play on a map such as Seine Crossing with absolutely no buildings left? It's bad enough when playing a large ticket server on Caspian Border, by the end it's a wasteland around C. It is also extremely rare that someone is shooting at me from behind an indestructible piece of cover.

I also wasn't talking about such trivial things as the comma rose, either. Do you really think the new Karkand map has the same feeling as in BF2? Not counting the entire node that is gone, they missed something that is more ubiquitous and hard to put your finger on, and it's not just nostalgic reverie clouding my judgment.

I'd rather not have a map like Seine, problem solved :laugh: There was city maps in BC1 and BC2, long before Seine. I don't think the issue of leveled buildings on those kind of maps was what stopped them from making them destroyable. I think it was more a limit of what the engine was capable of. At most the largest buildings able to be destroyed previously were 3 story buildings, to do something like numerous 10+ story buildings that are actually all built together with over a block in length, just don't think the engine was capable. And even if it was, then what to do with all the space inside of those buildings, right now it's filled with blank space, if you could level them they would have had to create an entire city. So just seems more like engine limitations.

And thats the other chord I been striking for a long time, map design. You say people don't fire at you from behind indestructible cover. Play Grand Bazaar or Metro for real easy examples of low destruction maps. Hallways and very little to actually be blown away. Thats all those maps are, other maps like Caspian you got the Antenna, or Firestorm the huge oil fields with tons of places for people to sit. In BC2 or BC2 there was some non-destroyable buildings, but for the most part, if someone was in the top floor of a house (meaning they had the high ground so I couldn't actually see them to shoot them), I would simply wipe out that bottom floor and bring it all down. You say that flag C gets all wiped out, flag C is a forest, there isn't all that much to get wiped out. Heck theres only 2 buildings on all of Caspian that can be dropped, 1 at B and one in the RU base. Any other building has many indestructible zones (stair wells for instance, they make great spots to hide from tanks).

And I wasn't saying you specifically, I'm just saying, I tired of hearing about BF2 this and BF2 that. I enjoyed 1942 far far more.

As far as whats missing from Karkand, I'm not sure, it doesn't feel all that different to me. Except and here it is again, limited destruction. I get so tired of half destructible buildings that people blow a hole in the wall, then leap from something else and lay down a spawn beacon in a room that can not be further destroyed, just creates so many campers on a map that already had an issue with that before. I just can't see the down side to bringing back some real destruction. I'd rather maps like Seine Crossing be flat out gone, I haven't ever played any previous BF games to be limited to 3 damn bridges just to get to the other side of the map, BF series and funnel points are oxymorons, yet Seine, Grand Bazaar, Metro, and many of the CQ maps, thats the staples of those maps, and thats to cater to the COD crowd, and thats why BF3 has never been as enjoyable to me and what BC2 was. Lots of fun sure, but it just is missing the magic. I put twice the amount of hours in BC2 in half the length of time and I still was far from tired of that game, BF3 I quit playing 1 month in for a good 4 months, finally came back to it out of boredom.

Saw the trailer... same design, same animations and same models. Feels like expansion for Battlefield 3.

Processor i9 9900KS ( 5 Ghz all the time )
Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390
Cooling EK Velocity + EK D5 pump + Alphacool full copper silver 360mm radiator
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator GT ROG Edition 3333 Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti 12GB OC
Storage M.2 Samsung NVMe 970 Evo Plus 250 GB + 1TB 970 Evo Plus
Display(s) Asus PG279 IPS 1440p 165Hz G-sync
Case Cooler Master H500
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor 850W
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Rapoo
Software Win 10 64 Bit
lucky bastard...

I think that digital deluxe edition si nothing, a premium release with 49 dollars plus is expected for sure... Then you spend 59 for the game plus the premium pass 100 bills costs of the total.

Like BF3 was for me...

System Name Omen
Processor i7-4710HQ
Cooling Dual fan/heatpipe
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 4GB GTX 860M
Storage 256GB PCIE SSD/256GB PNY UHS-1 SD Card
Display(s) 15.6' 1080P
Case Aluminium
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Brick
Software Win 10
They've gotta really innovate if they don't want to go down the COD series pathway.
Cod 4 really made what a mp fps was and should be. BF3 took that crown, respectively. So hopefully they can keep it that way without running out of ideas, like cod has.

Case Cooler Master H500
Keyboard Rapoo
Software Win 10 64 Bit
Still the god of the military FPS

Storage Kingston 480gb SSD, Hitachi Ultrastar 2 TB, 1 TB Caviar Black /Hitachi 500 gb, 2 Seagate 320 GB
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD: 5.1 Technics DD / Plantronic Gamecom 7.1 headset/5.1 Digital Home Theatre
System Name Komputor
Processor 2500k
Motherboard p5b d
Cooling stock
Memory 8gigs ddr 1600
Video Card(s) Asus Turbo GTX 970 4 gig
Storage sata II 500 gig
Display(s) 30inch Dell ultrasharp
Case Haf 922
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Prelude
Power Supply 600w OCZ stealthxtream
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Logitech G15
Software Win 7 home premium 64 bit.
COD4 was a great fun game, but the god? I call it unreal tournament with miltary weapons. It is so arcade and nothing realistic about it.

System Name Wopper
Processor Intel i5 3570 @ 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 760 3Gb w/acx cooling
Storage 120Gb Evo SSD + 2 GB Games + 1.5 TB Data
Display(s) ViewSonic VX2268WM 22-Inch 120 Hz 3D-Ready
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Realtec onboard
Power Supply Antec TruePower New 550W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
Here is your pre-order ""Premium" expansion pack:

System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
BFGames.net - Battlefield 4 Trailer analysis: single-player campaign

by Aunt Emma, Battlefield, 4 03/28/2013 20:58

The high official start of Battlefield 4 reporting is now behind us. On Wednesday published EA DICE and a TV commercial and a 17-minute gameplay video. But the real work for us as a fan now begins in earnest. We have seen since the release for you the video several times, made ​​images and information gathered. Emerged from this analysis is a trailer for the single player mode. We take a look at the background of the videos and combine the previous events together.

The Tombstone Squad and You

Let's take a look back again at the start of the events in the trailer. In a sinking SUV, the Tombstone squad will again. Four soldiers of the U.S. armed forces are facing a desperate situation: Irish, Sgt Dunn, Pac and Recker. The latter is to be controlled in the majority of Battlefield 4 by the player. Before the resolution of this matter, as the squad freed from the car, the viewer sees the video back to the events thus far. Specifically, the mission "Fishing in Baku", which plays in Azerbaijan on the Caspian Sea. The troops are scattered after a failed transfer of information in the city and has to find himself. They are being pursued apparently by Russian Spetsnaz units, which interfered with the transfer already. For this reason, had to separate the squad apparently. After a successful and action-packed reunion they move to the pickup point. There they go, however, in a firefight with Russian troops, which later collapses in the factory building on the squad is at the time. As in so many games there is also a helicopter to break. Buried under rubble find Recker, Irish and Pac their sergeant and so the group can escape from advancing units, the player to the squad leader amputate the leg. With a simple interface Recker severed the commander's leg. Even without perfect surgical skills we wonder: can a leg cut off despite shattered bone that simple? And why do we have to do such a thing? On television, one such scenes go to the kidneys, the screen it causes more head shaking.

Oppressiveness

It continues with a wild chase between the squad in a jeep and a Russian MI-28 helicopter. The journey of the soldiers sent by Recker maneuvered the vehicle into the Caspian Sea. We are now back at the beginning of the trailer. The seriously injured Sgt Dunn is located in the back seat wedged between the seats. While the player is slowly coming around, blaring Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" from the radio. The wheels of the car groaning under the pressure of the depths of the sea. The faces and the animations Squad colleagues are so perfect that we for a moment as the middle of the game experience feel, how long no longer in a gameplay video. Finally, we see the player swim from the car wreck, as he tries to get to the surface. The really exciting thing is the sound. We hear a telephone conversation between two people, one of them is called Captain. In this conversation, it's probably for the aforementioned information received by Tombstone. According to gaming magazine Gamestar , which was at the event in Stockholm on site, it is in the info about evidence that justify a war of aggression by the U.S. against China. In the next call is the question of the material means that the Russians Admiral Chang (China) hold. The interlocutor of the captain replied with this statement "confirms the report of our people in China." Critical remarks of the Captain that Sgt Dunn died for information that the United States already possessed. Shortly thereafter, he followed the instructions of the party: "On the east coast of China." As previously reported by us, thus confirming rumors that the campaign plays including China. We suspect that the mission in Baku will serve as an entry into the single-player mode. Three fractions are therefore play a role: the U.S., Russia and China.

Who is Hannah?

The last few seconds of gameplay trailer show then a wild montage of various scenes. First we see a panorama of a city, at a closer look in the foreground a skyscraper collapsed in on itself and destroys Idlyle. Our opinion to Shanghai there is to see, just as we previously the city already on the first artwork discovered. Then we see the players swim through a flooded building. Later, the squad travels in a boat on an aircraft carrier. Interesting fact: In the boat we can discover three people. Recker steer and logically we assume that Pac and Irish can be seen in the front part. The third person has a slouch hat on. We suspect that it is Hanna who is sitting in the boat with the Tombstone Squad. In the gameplay video is the character to see the very end and carrying said slouch. Only seconds earlier, we discover the hat in a scene on a road again. It seems as though Hanna is the informant of the U.S. in China and occupies the fourth place in the squad after Sgt Dunn was drowned in a car wreck.

Social Single Player

The scenario in Asia with the three factions USA, Russia and China first sounds exciting. What we've seen in the trailer, particularly impressive on the technical side. The Frostbite Engine 3 looks outstanding: particle effects, animations, and faces not have to hide behind the overly graphic heavyweight Cryengine. Only the water again seems not very nice. But the cool water was in the Battlefield series has never really pretty. The goal of DICE is to transport the Battlefield moments in the single player campaign. We can tell our squad to give covering fire, so we can flank the enemy. Typical Battlefield feeling comes but not when the player runs through hose level. This is exactly what happened, however, in most of the videos. What is not completely bad, because the campaign has to be structured differently than the multiplayer part. So what was shown, is simply contrary to the goal of trying to achieve that DICE. Moreover, social features to be available in the campaign. In the gameplay video we have seen already: Friends invite the player has a dogtag for hunting or show off their stats in each level. This fits in our opinion not the seriousness of the campaign that will be sought with the backstory. We also take the concept of "always-on" time in the room. Without constant online connection, this is probably not feasible. We were already satisfied if we disable this feature in the options just might. Otherwise, the next few weeks will be very interesting. The next material we expect the latest from E3 in June
*Google Translated

Last edited:

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
And I wasn't saying you specifically, I'm just saying, I tired of hearing about BF2 this and BF2 that.

Agreed...except, for me, it's BC2 not BF2 that I'm tired of hearing was so much greater than it really was. Subjective, sure, but still...

"Drone Stike Expansion Pack" eh? Hoo boy. That's likely to ruffle some feathers.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I think BF1942 was the best....

On serious note, I would like to see MP video.

System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
GamesRadar.com - 6 Reasons Battlefield 4’s single player should be awesome

Tell us a story

For all the big words and grand promises, DICE don't deliver a memorable single player game in Battlefield 3. The problem? It’s aimed squarely at the Call of Duty crowd, but lacks the magic mixture of bombast and breathless pace that serves the Black Ops and Modern Warfare series’ so well. It’s by no means a poor campaign, but it’s hardly genre-leading either.

The other significant problem is that–-by chasing Call of Duty-–the single player abandons the values of Battlefield’s multiplayer experience. Flying a jet, driving a tank, even playing as a normal soldier–-it’s all completely different between single and multiplayer. They feel like two separate games. Quite simply, DICE doesn’t play to the strengths of the Battlefield franchise during BF3’s story. From what we’ve seen and heard about Battlefield 4, we believe that’s changing. Here’s why.

The tech matches the ambition

DICE claim that the tech barrier has been removed. Frostbite 3 allows the team to focus on level design and set-piece creation, rather than having to worry about the power of their engine, or the platforms that Battlefield 4 will run on. In other words, the extra power means that they no longer need to funnel players down corridors, restrict their movements inside vehicles, or play out the best parts of the game via cut-scenes. The engine is powerful enough to hand complete control over to the players while offering spectacular set-pieces that drive the story forward.

Ok, you want an example? Watch the 17 minute demo again. The assault on the factory building in the demo’s mid-section is completely free-form--you can approach it just as you would in multiplayer. You could take the jeep and wade in with the mounted gun. You could let your team-mates handle the bulk of the enemies, and flank them with a shotgun or knife. You could just kill everyone with an assault rifle and never involve vehicles like the jeep or support helicopter. Frostbite 3 lets the big moments come to the player, not the other way around.

It’s being made by the right man for the job…

There’s a new man in charge of Battlefield 4, and his name is Lars Gustavsson. So what? Well, Lars has been at DICE since the beginning and has worked on almost every Battlefield game out there. If anyone knows what makes a great Battlefield game, it’s him. Case in point: Lars was multiplayer lead on Battlefield 3, and if that game does one thing better than every other shooter of this generation, it’s online multiplayer.

How does that help the single player? Well, it means his direction of the game will be strongly influenced by a) the core values of Battlefield, and b) the multiplayer. That’s why we see a much more open approach to combat in the demo--the Battlefield formula doesn’t work when the player is restricted. Under the guidance of Lars Gustavsson we should see a game that keeps this critical fact in mind, while it also tries to wow us with some spectacular, next-gen set-pieces.

Sorry, the right men for the job

Thing is, with the exception of true industry luminaries like Hideo Kojima and Ken Levine, one man doesn’t make a great game. DICE has undergone a significant staff reshuffle for Battlefield 4, and the man who steps into the role of Game Director for the single player story is Stefan Strandberg. Ah, another Swedish man that you probably haven’t heard of. He may look like a Bond villain, but Strandberg is something of a game development genius. He’s been responsible for the award winning sound production on previous Battlefield games, and now he’s bringing that fastidious attention to detail and accuracy to the whole story.

Ask any hardcore Battlefield fan about the true strength of the series and they’ll point you towards the unrivalled sound design. It’s why teams like BioWare consulted with EA stable-mate DICE when designing the audio for Mass Effect 3. Strandberg is clearly a talent, and when he talked about Battlefield 4’s single player at the recent unveiling event he said all the right things; relatable characters, player choice, a consistent story that doesn’t jump all over the place, believable consequences. We’re confident that he can deliver on these crucial promises

They’ve learned from their mistakes

There’s little doubt that DICE have learned from their mistakes in Battlefield 3. Speaking to GamesRadar this week, General Manager of the studio Karl-Magnus Troedsson says: “You can have it so your character actually speaks, but we believe that this breaks the immersion quite a bit. When you’re just playing as ‘just the gun’ then you can put your own emotion into who you are. We’re not showing you--as in Recker--in third-person, we’re keeping you in first-person all the time. There are ways to tell a story like this, and we have been getting better and better at it all the time. It is a challenge, but it isn’t one we’re shying away from: it’s one we’re eager to sink our teeth into”.

He continues: “All the pieces are starting to fall into place that allow us to tell a more dramatic and believable human story. There was a time when you couldn’t get that close to a particular character because it would start to show the limits of the engine. And we believe that this is the next big frontier--it’s all about the kind of emotions you can get across. Can you, for example, get across the fact that the character opposite you is sad? If you can do that you’ve done really well. You have to watch out for the uncanny valley of course, but I believe that we’re moving into an era where games are going to be telling stories that are not only interesting, but refreshing when you compare them to how stories are told in movies and TV.”

There’s no disconnect from multiplayer

As we mentioned earlier, the main problem with Battlefield 3’s single player campaign is that it’s nothing like multi-player. Well, in our Battlefield 4 demo we saw numerous examples of multiplayer elements that have been implemented seamlessly into solo play. Spotting? That’s in there, combined with a simple squad-command device that lets you identify enemies for your AI buddies to shoot. Vehicle piloting? We saw driving and turret gunning from a jeep, and a flash of RIB boat piloting. Oh yeah, and stabbing an AI enemy in the back gets you that sweet dog-tag reward that you crave online.

The mini-map? The weapon read-outs and health bar? Even the message icons in the top right? They’re all indicative of the fact that BF4’s solo play will align with the multiplayer. Not only does this make for a more unified game, it should feel more like you’re getting the incredible Battlefield multiplayer experience inside an offline story.

Yep, about 90% of us are a lot more interested in the MP then the SP.

System Name The SwagMachine / The Sister
Processor Core i5 3570K @5.2ghz 1.3V/ 1100T
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V / ASUS M5A99X EVO
Cooling Phanteks PH TC14PE / Corsair H40
Memory M379B5273DH0-YK0 2X4GB + PVI316G213C1QK 2X4GB / 2x4GB Patriot 2133
Video Card(s) PNY 780Ti /Windforce 7950
Storage 2xSamsung 840 EVO 250gb+WD10EZEX + WD30EZRX/ 1x WD1500 Black
Display(s) AOC Q2963PM+Acer S200HL / Acer S200L+ LG 22LD350
Case Fractal Define R4 / NZXT Trinity
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG / Asus Xonar DG
Power Supply Seasonic 750X / ROSEWILL RG630-S12 630W R
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma / Roccat Kone+
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow 2013 Stealth / Roccat Isku
Software Windows 8.1 Pro / Windows 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores one time I scored a 3 on 3dmark 11

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
Agreed...except, for me, it's BC2 not BF2 that I'm tired of hearing was so much greater than it really was. Subjective, sure, but still...

"Drone Stike Expansion Pack" eh? Hoo boy. That's likely to ruffle some feathers.

I'm really the only one harping on about BC2. And I'm not saying the game was greater than it really was, I'm saying it was better than BF3. I don't play Battlecorridor, I play Battlefield. And it just is disappointing to see such a destructive rich game which is followed by one where destroying buildings on people isn't ever part of a strategy.

I do enjoy BF3, I just hope they bring back some of the stuff that I felt was better in BC2.

Same, well not vanilla 1942, but I played the crap out of the DC mod. And I doubt we will see a MP trailer, even if we did, it's going to be all DICE players and probably have some heavily scripted events.

Case Cooler Master H500
Keyboard Rapoo
Software Win 10 64 Bit
COD4 was a great fun game, but the god? I call it unreal tournament with miltary weapons. It is so arcade and nothing realistic about it.

Even Battlefield is not realistic, is authentic...

Want something realistic ? ARMA is your game...

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
im glad mailman isn't a part of this conversation. bf4 is not going to worth $60 or whatever the crap you have to spend to play it.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
im glad mailman isn't a part of this conversation. bf4 is not going to worth $60 or whatever the crap you have to spend to play it.

I hear if you say his name 3 times he will appear.

mailman

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
Seen this on Reddit about Colonel 100's, made me laugh.