• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BBA 9800 XT no overclocking. and high heat

v_lestat

ok is it just me or do the built by ati 9800 XT's not like overclocking,
this is a fresh RMA 9800 XT from ATI. and if i didnt know any better i say its brand new not remanned/ there arent any signs of use, and not one single scratch on the AGP pins where it had been used before.

i cant go over 440 gpu without artifacts, and memory screw it i cant even touch it.

the temps, in my opinion are insane. 60+ C idle and 70+ after gaming and benchmarks.

that TOO HOT in my book even for a video card. so..
and im reading temps in ATI Tool and the ATI control panel.
i have a temp probe im probably gunna install but i wont even bother removing the HSF is these are the right temps.
im looking to flash the bios, ive checked here already and all the bios's here are the same version as mine. or older.

does anyone have a bios that they use right now that overclocks the card really nicely ?
and reads temps properly ? or keeps the card cooler.
hell my 9700 pro @ 380/340 NEVER went past 53 C. that was no matter how long i gamed it was a cool running card.

someone,,, anyone ?

sersalpha

Get yourself an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer, a Zalman ZM80D-HP, or a Thermaltake Giant III. You need better cooling to be able to overclock - stock cooling isn't going to do it for you. A new BIOS won't do you any good now.

v_lestat

hhmm thought with all that fancy copper on there the stop cooling would be good for a little overclocking, i cant even get 25 on the GPU and 5 on the memory and im getting artifacts.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Actually, those temps are pretty much standard for a 9800XT with stock cooling, did you know Ati has stress tested the R360 core and it didn't fail untill it reached about 127°C! :eek: Of course, the core melted after getting that hot :p
Anyway, you should get some better cooling for your vidcard if you want to OC it without problems.

Slayerstaps

The temps of an 9800 XT are always high so around 70 under load is normal for that card.
The reason that you can not overclock so high is because the stock cooling isn't all that good it looks good but it ain't. The reason is because the core + the mem dump their heat on the sink. Because the core get's way hotter then the mem after a while the core starts dumping heat on the mem wich results in a low overclock because the mem heats up to much. Just get one of the new silencers and your oc will get better :D

pablofrogo

Slayerstaps said:
The temps of an 9800 XT are always high so around 70 under load is normal for that card.
The reason that you can not overclock so high is because the stock cooling isn't all that good it looks good but it ain't. The reason is because the core + the mem dump their heat on the sink. Because the core get's way hotter then the mem after a while the core starts dumping heat on the mem wich results in a low overclock because the mem heats up to much. Just get one of the new silencers and your oc will get better :D
Don't the new silencers use a combined core/mem HS?

Slayerstaps

They do but it cools the mem and core way better then the stock can handle :D

v_lestat

ok so what about that thermal tape on the DDR. does that stuff come off ok, or do i need to slide a razor blade in there and cut the tape as i pull it off.
or should i use it, heat the card up and quickly pull it out and remove the HSF while the tape is warm so they come off easier. ?

my experience with thermal tape hasnt been good and i dont want to damage anything.

anyone have any advice for me. ?
oh and where the devil is the link for the new 9800 XT VGA silencer, i cant find it now. i want to order one.

sersalpha

Get yourself a good solvent like carburetor cleaner, acetone, or tape head cleaner and a razor blade. The solvent will disolve the adhesive on the thermal tape. Gentle scraping with a razor or the like should remove the tape easily after that.

v_lestat

well i guess i mean does the heatsink come right off or since the thermal tape is there will i have issues.

and i know this has been asked a million times but 1 website says one thing and another says another thing.
does the vga silencer rev 3 work on the 9800 XT ?

v_lestat

well i just found out and cant put everyones thoughts myths and disbeliefs to rest,, the VGA Silencer REV 3 works works, fits and cools 100%.
i just installed it a few hours ago.
no issues,

it isnt cooling really any better than stock but none the less it is cooling.

also i put a temp probe right beside the gpu and its reading 53 idle and 66 under heavy load.

so i kinda sort of think the ati probe is reading wrong.
which wouldnt surprise me one little bit