• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BD PROCHOT:

• Thread starter Deleted member 210410
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 210410

My laptop gets very slow when charging (0.40GHz). If I disable BD PROCHOT forever even when it is not charging, there is a chance that my CPU can burn. If I disable it only when charging, the speed will return to normal (Up to 2GHz). Would the best thing be to disable it only when charging or will that still burn my CPU?

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Sounds like your laptop has issues when plugged in, and it's not Throttlestop related.
Hopefully somebody chimes in here with a suggestion.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Disabling BD PROCHOT will not make your CPU burn. BD PROCHOT and the temperature of your CPU have nothing to do with each other. Your CPU will thermal throttle if it gets too hot whether BD PROCHOT is checked or not. No worries.

D

Deleted member 210410

Disabling BD PROCHOT will not make your CPU burn. BD PROCHOT and the temperature of your CPU have nothing to do with each other. Your CPU will thermally throttle if it gets too hot whether BD PROCHOT is checked or not. No worries.
Thank you, but do you know the cause of my problem and why it's happening?

System Name Asus ROG Strix G15 Electro Punk
Processor Intel Core i5-10300H (UV)
Motherboard G512LI
Cooling 2x in-built laptop coolers + 2x general heatpipes
Memory 2x HyperX Impact 8GB (2933 MHz) 16-18-18-34
Video Card(s) GTX 1650 Ti (UV/OC 2010 MHZ 900 mV)
Storage M.2 Intel SSD 660p 512GB
Display(s) Panda LM156LF2F01 (NCP004D) 144 Hz (reduced timings)
Audio Device(s) BT Speaker Divoom Mocha (AUX mode), OneOdio DJ Studio (Headphones)
Power Supply Asus ROG 150W AC Adapter
Mouse Bloody A70
Keyboard Laptop backlit inbuilt
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Score - 1188 pts MCore - 5830 pts TSBench (8T) 120M - 14.395 960M - 115.661
That is possible that your charger is malfunctioning and laptop trying to defend itself from any problems that may happen. Not sure though about that...

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
A faulty battery can cause the charging circuit to generate a lot of heat by constantly applying power.
Remove the battery if possible then plug the laptop in.

D

Deleted member 210410

That is possible that your charger is malfunctioning and laptop trying to defend itself from any problems that may happen. Not sure though about that...
A faulty battery can cause the charging circuit to generate a lot of heat by constantly applying power.
Remove the battery if possible then plug the laptop in.
I don't think my charger is malfunctioning and I can't remove my battery.

unclewebb

Here is some real world testing that proves when you disable BD PROCHOT, the CPU will still be able to thermal throttle. The CPU multiplier has dropped below 52.00 and ThrottleStop confirms that THERMAL throttling is in progress. The crap and abuse I put my hardware through in the name of science. :D

1620674003850.png

D

Deleted member 210410

Disabling BD PROCHOT will not make your CPU burn. BD PROCHOT and the temperature of your CPU have nothing to do with each other. Your CPU will thermally throttle if it gets too hot whether BD PROCHOT is checked or not. No worries.
I forgot to tell you this but before I made this thread, I checked on the internet for this problem, and people say to not disable it: What is 'BD PROCHOT' that causes the CPU to throttle?

Here is some real-world testing that proves when you disable BD PROCHOT, the CPU will still be able to thermal throttle. The CPU multiplier has dropped below 52.00 and ThrottleStop confirms that THERMAL throttling is in progress. The crap and abuse I put my hardware through in the name of science. :D

View attachment 199906
Thank you, but what does BD PROCHOT have to do with the speed of my laptop? If BD PROCHOT is not disabled, my laptop goes really slow ONLY while charging. If it is disabled, then the speed is normal. Surely my laptop would throttle on battery power as well as when it is charging???

unclewebb

Quora is not the best source for information. I read some of the top replies and instead of calling this information, it should be correctly called misinformation. Those people do not have the slightest clue as to what they are talking about.

Manufacturers use BD PROCHOT for a variety of reasons. None of these reasons are legit.

My laptop gets very slow when charging (0.40GHz).
When you bought your laptop, did the manufacturer warn you that your laptop will run like a turtle from 1990? There is no legit reason to slow a CPU down so severely. If this is by design then

a) it is bad design and
b) the manufacturer should have told you about this issue before taking your money.

Disable BD PROCHOT. This type of throttling is being misused. There is no reason to slow a laptop so severely just because it is charging.

Your laptop was either poorly designed or a sensor within the power adapter has failed. Who makes your laptop? Dell used to use BD PROCHOT throttling so their laptops would severely throttle if you did something crazy like tried to use a generic power adapter. This was a good way to increase Dell branded power adapter sales. The cheap little switches that are used in these adapters are known to fail on a regular basis.

Disable BD PROCHOT and be happy that there is a free work around for this very irritating problem.

D

Deleted member 210410

Quora is not the best source for information. I read some of the top replies and instead of calling this information, it should be correctly called misinformation. Those people do not have the slightest clue as to what they are talking about.

Manufacturers use BD PROCHOT for a variety of reasons. None of these reasons are legit.

When you bought your laptop, did the manufacturer warn you that your laptop will run like a turtle from 1990? There is no legit reason to slow a CPU down so severely. If this is by design then

a) it is bad design and
b) the manufacturer should have told you about this issue before taking your money.

Disable BD PROCHOT. This type of throttling is being misused. There is no reason to slow a laptop so severely just because it is charging.

Your laptop was either poorly designed or a sensor within the power adapter has failed. Who makes your laptop? Dell used to use BD PROCHOT throttling so their laptops would severely throttle if you did something crazy like tried to use a generic power adapter. This was a good way to increase Dell branded power adapter sales. The cheap little switches that are used in these adapters are known to fail on a regular basis.

Disable BD PROCHOT and be happy that there is a free work around for this very irritating problem.
Thank you. Just wanted to make sure. I bought a brand new HP 15s-fq0008na. The manufacturer did not warn me about this. I have only experienced this problem recently and my laptop is just over 1.5 years old. I think that the sensor has failed on my charger. I have already disabled BD PROCHOT and I am happy theres a free work around. Just wanted to be 100% sure.

Thanks for all your help.

unclewebb

That was the VID voltage. Actual voltage going to the CPU was a little less than that. Here is an updated test with HWiNFO showing actual voltage.
I like to thoroughly test my CPUs so other users do not have to worry about too much heat or too much voltage.

1620760839762.png