• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Before: ROPs @ 16 - After: ROPs @ 4...

System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard MSI X370 Titanium
Cooling Tt Water2.0 PRO (They use the same bracket as 3.0)
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB 3200 15-15-15-35 B-Die (@3333 ATM)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX R9 390 8GB
Storage Too many. Samsung 750GB, 120GB 850 EVO, Seagate 1TB, Toshiba 1TB, OCZ 32GB Cache Drive
Display(s) Samsung 46" UN46D6050 1080P HDTV
Case Home-made tech bench.
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX (I use HDMI though *cry*)
Power Supply CWT PUC1000V-S 1000W, Abee Supremer (import) 1200W currently used as primary.
Mouse Razer Copperhead (circa 2005)
Keyboard Tt Challenger Pro (AVOID! Keys wear super fast)
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
Well I'm not sure if it is a cause of not flashing both cards at the same time, or something else, but I will run through the minimal list of things I did to my BIOS and flashing.

<--System specs are current

1. Ran GPU-Z, saved BIOS.
  2. Ran RBE - Changed 'Fan Settings' by first clicking "Set all fan settings to recommended values" since the ASUS CUcore's default settings are junk. Did not like the "Use transfer function" settings and changed them to: Tmin:42C, Tmax:95C, Duty: 45%
  3. Went to 'Clock Settings' and changed "Cock info 04" from 400/1200 to 250/500 (in an effort to get the second 5770 to not ALWAYS run 850/1200)
  4. Went to 'Additional Features' tab to see what there was, bummed out that I couldn't enable "Superior powerplay" :(
  5. Saved BIOS

I tried to flash it again with ATiWinFlash, knowing last time I tried it the system would hang, no dice. Ran it through RBE and the system didn't hang, but clicking 'Analyze' seemed to load WinFlash and then do nothing as the program just sucked 50% cpu cycles. End task on WinFlash and then closed out RBE.

Skip forward a week or more and I decided to look into this all again. Ran ATiWinFlash [AWF from now on] normally and... system hung as I remembered -_- Reboot into WinPE 3.0 (not Repair, a far more enhanced version with everything but the kitchen sink and graphics functions) and ran AWF, tried to flash the BIOS and encountered this error. Found the thread I got that link from and nabbed AtiFlash. Gave the unlock a shot in Windows, but didn't really expect it to work. SO after doing it, I tried AWF again just in case, hung again. Side note: It seems to only crash my video card as the system still works, I was able to both read AND write a file to my system through the network on another PC, but C-A-D doesn't bring up the logon screen :confused: Reboot, put ATiFlash and my BIOS on a USB BootDisk and restarted into DOS. Ran -unlockrom on both cards and then flashed card #2, since A) It was the one I wanted the clocks to run lower B) didn't want to risk bricking 2 cards, not be able to flash them back and have NO video cards (3Dfx not counting lol :p). Flash went fine (yay!) and proceeded to boot into 7 when my main screen went all 1280x1024 on me, and my second was cloning... Windows loads and says no ATi drivers installed when CCC and ATiTrayTools tried to load, so I went to Dev Mgr to see what the cards said and twas of no help. Ran GPU-Z to see what that showed and had I not been paying close attention when I checked card 2, I wouldn't have seen that the ROPs on the flashed card were 4 instead of the 16 they were supposed to be (and were on unmodded card 1)... Thought I'd try AWF since I had to restart anyways, and a proper one or not didn't matter to me at that point :laugh: Worked this time :shadedshu So I flashed card 2's BIOS back to normal and restarted, everything is back to normal, all ROPs accounted for :ohwell:

So my question I guess is: Was it something RBE did that disabled the other 12 ROPs, or was somehow flashing only ONE card the cause of that?

That is also why I didn't post this as a bug, since I didn't know if it was user-error or not :eek:

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Well I'm not sure if it is a cause of not flashing both cards at the same time, or something else, but I will run through the minimal list of things I did to my BIOS and flashing.

<--System specs are current

1. Ran GPU-Z, saved BIOS.
  2. Ran RBE - Changed 'Fan Settings' by first clicking "Set all fan settings to recommended values" since the ASUS CUcore's default settings are junk. Did not like the "Use transfer function" settings and changed them to: Tmin:42C, Tmax:95C, Duty: 45%
  3. Went to 'Clock Settings' and changed "Cock info 04" from 400/1200 to 250/500 (in an effort to get the second 5770 to not ALWAYS run 850/1200)
  4. Went to 'Additional Features' tab to see what there was, bummed out that I couldn't enable "Superior powerplay" :(
  5. Saved BIOS

I tried to flash it again with ATiWinFlash, knowing last time I tried it the system would hang, no dice. Ran it through RBE and the system didn't hang, but clicking 'Analyze' seemed to load WinFlash and then do nothing as the program just sucked 50% cpu cycles. End task on WinFlash and then closed out RBE.

Skip forward a week or more and I decided to look into this all again. Ran ATiWinFlash [AWF from now on] normally and... system hung as I remembered -_- Reboot into WinPE 3.0 (not Repair, a far more enhanced version with everything but the kitchen sink and graphics functions) and ran AWF, tried to flash the BIOS and encountered this error. Found the thread I got that link from and nabbed AtiFlash. Gave the unlock a shot in Windows, but didn't really expect it to work. SO after doing it, I tried AWF again just in case, hung again. Side note: It seems to only crash my video card as the system still works, I was able to both read AND write a file to my system through the network on another PC, but C-A-D doesn't bring up the logon screen :confused: Reboot, put ATiFlash and my BIOS on a USB BootDisk and restarted into DOS. Ran -unlockrom on both cards and then flashed card #2, since A) It was the one I wanted the clocks to run lower B) didn't want to risk bricking 2 cards, not be able to flash them back and have NO video cards (3Dfx not counting lol :p). Flash went fine (yay!) and proceeded to boot into 7 when my main screen went all 1280x1024 on me, and my second was cloning... Windows loads and says no ATi drivers installed when CCC and ATiTrayTools tried to load, so I went to Dev Mgr to see what the cards said and twas of no help. Ran GPU-Z to see what that showed and had I not been paying close attention when I checked card 2, I wouldn't have seen that the ROPs on the flashed card were 4 instead of the 16 they were supposed to be (and were on unmodded card 1)... Thought I'd try AWF since I had to restart anyways, and a proper one or not didn't matter to me at that point :laugh: Worked this time :shadedshu So I flashed card 2's BIOS back to normal and restarted, everything is back to normal, all ROPs accounted for :ohwell:

So my question I guess is: Was it something RBE did that disabled the other 12 ROPs, or was somehow flashing only ONE card the cause of that?

That is also why I didn't post this as a bug, since I didn't know if it was user-error or not :eek:

Strange story. Since I don't know how to change the number of ROPs used and therefore, RBE does not change any areas of the BIOS I'm not certain what they are doing, I'm willing not to blame RBE for this.
It would be interesting if this phenomenon is reproducable, but I guess you don't wanna go through this hell again, do you? :eek:

System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Storage Too many. Samsung 750GB, 120GB 850 EVO, Seagate 1TB, Toshiba 1TB, OCZ 32GB Cache Drive
Power Supply CWT PUC1000V-S 1000W, Abee Supremer (import) 1200W currently used as primary.
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
Strange story. Since I don't know how to change the number of ROPs used and therefore, RBE does not change any areas of the BIOS I'm not certain what they are doing, I'm willing not to blame RBE for this.
It would be interesting if this phenomenon is reproducable, but I guess you don't wanna go through this hell again, do you? :eek:

Since I made a successful flash back, I'd be willing to go through it again heh I mean, I do have 2 cards, it's still under warranty so... Might as well! If anything maybe I can actually contribute something of use :)

Here's the BIOS I'm using btw (even left my filename intact). And I'll grab a GPU-Z shot next time as well, but that will be later on as I'm going to try and nab another hour of sleep before I decide I'm up today for good lol

I'll reply back when I've done this. I'll nab the BIOS off the card after finding if it is still reporting 4 ROPs, to compare to the original modified one. I can also post the original as well if you'd like.

Attachments

• HD5770 Fixed 2D clocks.zip
    47.4 KB · Views: 219
System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
Ugh, what a long day. Alright reproduced the results, nabbed some screenshots, got the BIOS (actually used WinFlash and it wasn't 64kb!).

I also tried something too, reinstalled the drivers since Device Manager was reporting sort of unsupported devices, and then restarted. Windows came up fine and basically "back to normal". The ROPs were back to 16, BUT... Crossfire didn't work and didn't even show up in CCC. The temps on the card were UNUSUALLY high, by almost 30c idle >_> It also wasn't reporting as PCIe 2.0, but just PCIe 16x@16x o_0 As for why I used WinFlash for the BIOS, well I've got a screenshot for that too :p Neither CCC or Afterburner would read the temps or adjust the fan on the modded card and the clocks were not running 250/500 like I had set it to. Which I suspect may have been because it was acting like it wasn't supported, thus no power play.

Any other info I can provide, I'll answer what I can!

Pictures:
"Post Mod" is the first restart into windows with the modded BIOS. Loaded up GPU-Z right away and snapped the pic. Reinstalled drivers through Device Manager (not CIM).
"5770 Restart #2" is the restart after the driver install which shows the ROPs back to normal but the PCIe change.
"5770 BIOS Read" is what occured only when trying to nab the BIOS off the modded card using GPU-Z, the unmodded card was able to be read just fine.

Additional thought: So I would know which BIOS I had flashed to the card (Afterburner shows card 0 as "card 2" and card 1 as card 1, which is not correct and I didn't know how far that went into the system), to which card, I had changed the "BIOS Version String" from 113-AC37500-101 to 113-AC37500-102. You think by chance that is at least the reason for not having CrossFire anymore?

EDIT: AAAAAnd I forgot to upload the ripped BIOS lol.

Attachments

• Post_Mod.JPG
    Post_Mod.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 674
  • 5770 Restart #2.JPG
    5770 Restart #2.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 447
  • 5770 BIOS Read.JPG
    5770 BIOS Read.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 607
  • 5770Modded.zip
    47.4 KB · Views: 235

oldDirty

Processor 3570K @ 4Ghz Air
Motherboard msi Z77-MPower
Cooling EKL Alpenföhn Matterhorn
Memory 2x 4Gb Gskill RipjawsX 1333 @ 1866
Video Card(s) HD7970 Crossfire HIS & Sapphire 1100/1700
Storage Plextor M5Pro 128Gb & HD103SJ
Display(s) Samsung 245B 24"
Case Lian Li B25F
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-DS6500
Power Supply Enermax Modu 87+ 600w
Software Win7 x64
Today i spend 4-5 or more hours to restore my 5870 by an flashing accident. :ohwell:
My target was the msi 5850, but the 5870 msi Bios File hits the Club3D 5870 in the same system. uuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO
F*ggggg are my last thoughts i can remember befor i turn green and smash tanks and throw Rocks around. I dont have a backup of the org 5870 Bios, because i do not plan to flash it.
And there IS NO BIOS FOR THE Club3D 5870 OVERCLOCKED EDITION, believe.
Dont ask me why i want to flush a 5870 bios to the ´50 Card. :D
End of it, i try several Bios Files, but nothing worked out, they all fail in 3D, Card freezed.
But then a little shiny hope, the PowerColor PCS+, which looks the same like the Club3d and also some clocks. Flush in Bios ( before @ Win ) and got it, it works fine again.
I just want to say, use this tool with care, always look double what your doing.

System Name Vika
Processor Intel Core i3 2100
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3
Cooling Stock Intel
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ X Radeon HD 7970 @ 1100/1550
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2453MH-LED 23.6in LED
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG
Power Supply Antec HCG 620W
Software Windows 7 Premium 64bit
When i first installed my 5770 and ran GPU-Z without having the drivers installed, the program displayed 4 ROPs, but after installing the drivers and CCC etc. I restarted and ran GPU-Z again and now it displays my ROPs as 16.

So I think that your new edited BIOS must've interfered with the drivers or something

System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
When i first installed my 5770 and ran GPU-Z without having the drivers installed, the program displayed 4 ROPs, but after installing the drivers and CCC etc. I restarted and ran GPU-Z again and now it displays my ROPs as 16.

So I think that your new edited BIOS must've interfered with the drivers or something

Yea, it's possible I guess. I've just plugged cards in before that were ATi and it didn't require the drivers to be reinstalled. *shrug* I might give it another go at a later point...

I tried to flash a "newer" BIOS FOR the ASUS 5770 that I got off the site. Flashed both cards, restarted and the computer (thankfully this mobo has a POST debugger) flashed 2A code, which made no sense when I looked it up. THANKFULLY I found a thread on Tom's Hardware with someone who had a similar incident with his 5870, but he exchanged it and that fixed it. Had I not read that I wouldn't have guessed video, since I had resituated my whole computer area (moved the computer and reconfigured it's arrangement[homemade techbench]), forgetting I had done the flashing! So I grabbed the trusty ole Voodoo3 PCI, loaded up original BIOS on both cards and back to normal :)

Ooooh well.