• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Behavior of "self-brew-hybrid" setup.

Razr7

Underpowered HD 4850

Hi

Could anyone tell me if cutting the external power for a HD 4850 and switching to on-board graphics for Windows-only use will damage or make the system unstable?

My system has a quiet and weak PSU, a Xilence 500W with one +12V of 20A and I want to add a HD 4850 to play a few upcoming titles.
Since the PSU can't handle it I thought I could buy a VGA PSU... one from TT or FSP, since they are the only available labels around here and aren't that expensive.
The Thermaltake is W0099 Pure Power Express of 250W and has a switch and the Fortron is Booster X3 of 300W without any power switch.

What I had in kind is to have nice graphics as much as my system can handle when in 3D mode and energy efficiency a quiet operation when in Windows/2D mode.

Since ATi kinda neglected to work on the PowerPlay feature... I don't have many options.

The other option would be the Asus ROG HD 4850 Matrix... but I don't really know how much energy-efficient or how quiet it will be in Windows... I hope you guys could review it.

Since I only game a few titles like TR, Hitman, GTA, NFS switching from one to another won't be a problem... when not playing, that's most of the time, I'll switch from BIOS to on-board VGA, shut down the VGA PSU and change the monitor connector to on-board VGA port.

Also if anyone has experience with overclocking Asus M3A78 Pro and a pair of HyperX 6400 could help me get the most out of my PC?

Last edited:

Razr7

Anyone?!?!

Mostly I'm interested if a system gets unstable if a PCIe VGA card goes underpowered but the system use the IGP of the mainboard... in this case a 780G.