• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BenQ Introduces New RL2455HM Gaming Monitor With Blazing-Fast Response Time

120Hz oscillation is nothing for modern electronic circuits. Heck, your CPU oscillates billions of times a second and lasts for years!

Dude ffs! Why do you think Intel said that overclocking voids your warranty? Exactly because it shortens the lifespan of your CPU!!! A CPU is designed to work between certain limits. Guess what TurboBoost is now? It overclocks your CPU for a certain amount of time because of thermal concerns and because of this. Your monitor is designed to work exactly like that. For certain amounts of time. No matter how much you play a game you won't be playing it 24/7. What's so hard to understand? I am not saying your monitor will blow up because of this I am saying it will break faster because of it...

But whatever. Everything you say on TPU must and will be turned into a long argument it seems, in which you will be attacked for expressing an opinion. Especially if you're trying to help out...

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Dude ffs! Why do you think Intel said that overclocking voids your warranty? Exactly because it shortens the lifespan of your CPU!!! A CPU is designed to work between certain limits. Guess what TurboBoost is now? It overclocks your CPU for a certain amount of time because of thermal concerns and because of this. Your monitor is designed to work exactly like that. For certain amounts of time. No matter how much you play a game you won't be playing it 24/7. What's so hard to understand? I am not saying your monitor will blow up because of this I am saying it will break faster because of it...

But whatever. Everything you say on TPU must and will be turned into a long argument it seems, in which you will be attacked for expressing an opinion. Especially if you're trying to help out...

You both have points though. Can electronics run fast? Oh yes. Will they degrade faster? Probably yes, but that varies from chip to chip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Thing is, the strobing effect of LB is also great for the desktop, since it elminates motion blur when moving windows around, or watching video, too. There's no flicker or eyestrain either, because it's flashing at 120Hz. Hence, I leave LB on the whole time now.

Is it me or LCD's don't flicker?!? For the love of God 60Hz on CRT is NOT the same this as 60Hz on LCDs....

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

This keeps rolling on because you keep bringing up new strawmen arguments. Anyway, here goes:

- Overclocking is not the same as running a component at stock. You're running it faster than designed to for greater performance, so will therefore wear it out faster. No one here is suggesting that you run the monitor out of spec to get more performance out of it. LB is a stock feature which is designed to run 24/7, see below.

- The nvidia driver has the standard option to run the monitor 24/7 like this. It's called "Always run in 3D mode". nvidia wouldn't allow this if it was asking the monitor to do anything it wasn't designed for that shortened its life.

I hope that clears this up for you?

Is it me or LCD's don't flicker?!? For the love of God 60Hz on CRT is NOT the same this as 60Hz on LCDs....

Indeed it's not. Nowhere near.

However, all LCD monitors do actually flicker! They oscillate the pixels to avoid them wearing out quickly. However, the way the pixels are phased prevents any visible flicker from being seen. Video test programs can show up this oscillation by putting out patterns that will flicker. Because different monitors implement this differently, different patterns are required to show this. I did it once on my monitor ages ago and it was quite freaky!

EDIT: LightBoost makes an LCD monitor flicker in a very similar way to a CRT since the backlight is strobed. It's the shear speed of 120Hz that stops this being a problem and hence no eyestrain. If it was strobing at just 60Hz, then you would see that flicker and get eyestrain from it.

Last edited:
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Another 1080p monitor? Sadness.