• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bent pins?

System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
Man, this gives me my own ptsd with LGA bent pin. The 2nd ram slot wouldn't work for some reason. Only explanation is I distinctly remember dropping the CPU few years ago. No problem since I'm happy with 8GB single channel. But when I had to sell the system, I had to put god-awful amount of concentration and focus on that rebending that shitty single pin back to shape.

Happy to see you were able to identify and correct the problem.

For future reference, one thing to add to your check list is problems with the ciruit traces in the MoBo area around the . Lots of folks don't realize they are there. I still crack up every time I remember Jayz2cents who wanted to use a cooler with a backplate. The MoBo in question did not have holes but sockets to accept hold down screws ... so he drilled thru them vcuttiung nunmerous circuit traces and destroying a $400 board.

On cheaper coolers, it's very easy to over tighten the hold down screws with varying outcomes:

A) You can physically crack the board.
B) You can break circuit traces inside the board without it showing physical damage.
C) You can warp the board and break a trace or connector point which when the hold down screw is loosened returns to functionality.
D) Once when troubleshooting, I found that a burr on one side of the washer had cut into a board cutting a circuit trace.

If ya can't find bent pins, this is where I'd look next.

I still crack up every time I remember Jayz2cents who wanted to use a cooler with a backplate. The MoBo in question did not have holes but sockets to accept hold down screws ... so he drilled thru them vcuttiung nunmerous circuit traces and destroying a $400 board.

Drill holes though the motherboard. Any link to video?

I bet he has taken it down. Don't want too many, or any user doing that.