• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best antivirus for Windows XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
@JonathanX The best a/v protection is of course to run W10 fully patched with a decent a/v app.

As you can't upgrade the PC right now, then you should install SP3 at the very least and all the millions of patches that came after it. It'll take a while...

It's still shot full of security holes of course, but it's better than it is at the moment.

For a/v I've been using Kaspersky Internet Security since 2006 which has been excellent. If it still supports XP, then I recommend it.

Once you can upgrade your hardware, then I recommend W10 with all the latest patches, even though you don't like it. It's a simple matter of a more secure design and support. Continue with Kaspersky.

Finally, regardless of what OS you use, you must have a hardware firewall or it's just a matter of time until your PC gets infected. This includes Linux.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Best AV for XP is to upgrade to at least Win 7

System Name ASUSTek Computer Inc.
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 945
Motherboard ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3
Memory 2x4 GB DDR3 Kingston
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 7790, 1 GB GDDR5, 128-bit
Storage Western Digital 500 GB SATA3
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 793DF 17 inch CRT
Case Delux DLC-MG760 450W Silver/black
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio SB0570 + Genius SW-5.1 Home Theater
Power Supply Enermax NAXN 450W
Mouse Genius, Black
Keyboard Dell
Software Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, Version 2003, Service Pack 2
@JonathanX As you can't upgrade the PC right now, then you should install SP3 at the very least and all the millions of patches that came after it. It'll take a while...

It's still shot full of security holes of course, but it's better than it is at the moment.

For a/v I've been using Kaspersky Internet Security since 2006 which has been excellent. If it still supports XP, then I recommend it.

Once you can upgrade your hardware, then I recommend W10 with all the latest patches, even though you don't like it. It's a simple matter of a more secure design and support. Continue with Kaspersky.

Finally, regardless of what OS you use, you must have a hardware firewall or it's just a matter of time until your PC gets infected. This includes Linux.

Yes, of course I have the Windows firewall set on "On", that's a must and a default for me, rest assured. Thank you for telling me about Kasperski, it works very well at the moment, so it looks like a good choice for now.

@Vayra86 :

I really don't understand what you mean, because you are making no sense. What do you mean by "women's thighs"? You want to say that women have no thighs, or if they do, they are oddities? As far as my English knowledge goes, here is the definition of the word "thigh" explained by the website called Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thigh

So as far as my understanding of semantics goes, saying that women have no thighs is pretty much like saying men have no elbows, or something like that. Maybe your manner of understanding the natural physiology of human beings presents some oddities, mister. I believe you were either drunk or on something, or you tend to express your ideas in a manner only you understand, otherwise I believe any psychiatrist would raise his eyebrows at what you wrote.

But I sense something else here, and if I'm not mistaken, it's a (more or less) subtle intent of irony towards me. And you know what some people say? "Bluffing is the final act of a desperate person." Well, in your case, I am inclined to think that mocking (ME in this case) is your final act of manipulating me into using Windows 10.

The mere fact that you are trying so hard to convince me of Windows 10's innocence only results in having the opposite effect on me. Just like a guilty person who starts screaming "I've done nothing, leave me alone!" whenever the cops approach him. Because otherwise why would you insist of advocating Microsoft's policies?

Here are just two of the countless websites which state clearly what Windows 10 is doing:

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welco...soft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking

http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out/

Let me help you even further, I'll extract the paragraph from Microsoft’s privacy statement for you:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

Did you read it? Was it clear enough? So how come you and some other guy here with 5 or 6 or 7 yellow stars can say that it's just a matter of rumors? Hmm?

Tell you what: why don't you just let it go and think something like this: "Hell, why should I bother with this guy? If he doesn't wanna listen to me, then let him stay with whatever OS he desires, and if he gets infected, it's entirely his own problem, he shouldn't come here crying and complaining, since me and so many others warned him from the start".

I understand you think differently from me, but the fact that you show no respect for my right of choosing an OS based on my free preferences is discriminating and insulting. So it's not me who should be ashamed for using an outdated OS because of my own reasons, but you, for disregarding and laughing at my constitutional liberties.

I stated it before and I'm gonna say it again, hopefully for the very last time: I will not, I repeat, I WILL NOT change my XP for Windows 10, only for 8 or 8.1, and that will happen when (and if) I will buy a newer and more performant PC. Is it clear enough? How much clearer do I have to make it? To hell with Windows 10! I will take a such a healthy fresh breath of air the day someone will tell me and prove me that all of its copies have been destroyed and all the algorythm implemented in it for collecting data from users has been erased, and ultimately, that Windows 10 is nothing but a tragic old story, like the Holocaust, for instance.

PS: all in all, I wanna thank everyone who posted here with the genuine desire of helping me, I appreciate your input, but since I sense that there is some chance for these discussions to go in an unpleasant direction, I would like to ask a Moderator or Admin to close this thread, since I already got enough answers, and my current Kasperski is doing a good job so far.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
@Bill_Bright :

You are also contradicting erocker here,
I am not contradicting erocker at all! He is saying you should not be using XP anymore for anything that requires security. Connecting to the Internet requires security.

I am saying you should not be using XP anymore except in stand-alone mode - that is, when it has no access to the Internet.
my friends, who happen to be software programmers.
Just because some one is a software programmer, that IN NO WAY means they are experts, or even knowledgeable about XP or Internet security.

I see no reason to continue this thread. You have made it clear you have no intention to become a safe user of the Internet by upgrading to a current version of Windows, in spite of all the warning many here have presented.

Sadly, you are closing your eyes to the facts. You also have demonstrated your total lack of understanding over privacy vs security. That's really sad. Microsoft is NOT trying to steal your passwords, your contacts, or your money from your bank accounts. Microsoft is not even trying to determine your real name, your home address, phone number, or other personally identifiable information.

In fact, if you connect via Ethernet, the closest Microsoft knows of your physical location is your POP (point of presence ), the point where your ISP connects you to the Internet backbone. In my case, that is 10 miles away from my house, in the next town over!

You cite and blame Microsoft privacy policies as your justification for continuing to be a threat to the rest of us! :(

Your ISP knows EVERYTHING you do on the Internet. Microsoft doesn't. Your ISP even knows your real name, your home address, phone number and your billing information.

Your cell phone carrier not only knows your name, address billing information and phone number, they know EVERYONE you have emailed, and texted. And they know where you have been, where you are standing to within a few yards/meters (including the store and aisle!!! you are standing in), the direction you are heading and how fast you are moving.

Yet you are worried about installing the most secure Windows operating system yet because Microsoft knows somebody going by the anonymous username of JonathanX visited Techpowerup! :kookoo:

I second your request for the mods to close this thread.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Yes, of course I have the Windows firewall set on "On", that's a must and a default for me, rest assured. Thank you for telling me about Kasperski, it works very well at the moment, so it looks like a good choice for now.

@Vayra86 :

I really don't understand what you mean, because you are making no sense. What do you mean by "women's thighs"? You want to say that women have no thighs, or if they do, they are oddities? As far as my English knowledge goes, here is the definition of the word "thigh" explained by the website called Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thigh

So as far as my understanding of semantics goes, saying that women have no thighs is pretty much like saying men have no elbows, or something like that. Maybe your manner of understanding the natural physiology of human beings presents some oddities, mister. I believe you were either drunk or on something, or you tend to express your ideas in a manner only you understand, otherwise I believe any psychiatrist would raise his eyebrows at what you wrote.

But I sense something else here, and if I'm not mistaken, it's a (more or less) subtle intent of irony towards me. And you know what some people say? "Bluffing is the final act of a desperate person." Well, in your case, I am inclined to think that mocking (ME in this case) is your final act of manipulating me into using Windows 10.

The mere fact that you are trying so hard to convince me of Windows 10's innocence only results in having the opposite effect on me. Just like a guilty person who starts screaming "I've done nothing, leave me alone!" whenever the cops approach him. Because otherwise why would you insist of advocating Microsoft's policies?

Here are just two of the countless websites which state clearly what Windows 10 is doing:

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welco...soft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking

http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out/

Let me help you even further, I'll extract the paragraph from Microsoft’s privacy statement for you:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

Did you read it? Was it clear enough? So how come you and some other guy here with 5 or 6 or 7 yellow stars can say that it's just a matter of rumors? Hmm?

Tell you what: why don't you just let it go and think something like this: "Hell, why should I bother with this guy? If he doesn't wanna listen to me, then let him stay with whatever OS he desires, and if he gets infected, it's entirely his own problem, he shouldn't come here crying and complaining, since me and so many others warned him from the start".

I understand you think differently from me, but the fact that you show no respect for my right of choosing an OS based on my free preferences is discriminating and insulting. So it's not me who should be ashamed for using an outdated OS because of my own reasons, but you, for disregarding and laughing at my constitutional liberties.

I stated it before and I'm gonna say it again, hopefully for the very last time: I will not, I repeat, I WILL NOT change my XP for Windows 10, only for 8 or 8.1, and that will happen when (and if) I will buy a newer and more performant PC. Is it clear enough? How much clearer do I have to make it? To hell with Windows 10! I will take a such a healthy fresh breath of air the day someone will tell me and prove me that all of its copies have been destroyed and all the algorythm implemented in it for collecting data from users has been erased, and ultimately, that Windows 10 is nothing but a tragic old story, like the Holocaust, for instance.

PS: all in all, I wanna thank everyone who posted here with the genuine desire of helping me, I appreciate your input, but since I sense that there is some chance for these discussions to go in an unpleasant direction, I would like to ask a Moderator or Admin to close this thread, since I already got enough answers, and my current Kasperski is doing a good job so far.

Oh no, no irony intended, I think you really took that the wrong way. But there is an incredible lack of actual, real-world proof surrounding MS's alleged spying and evil-doing with your personal data, hence the pink unicorns. You'll also note that I pointed you towards not W10, but W8.1 should you want to upgrade. Me, personally, I like to make decisions based on facts, and the internet is well-known to twist facts or turn something small into something unreasonably huge.

The perspective is simple: they have an extremely solid track record on securing private (user) data and also on the way they use it, and more importantly: their business is partially and heavily based on security, stability and reliability, especially in Enterprise solutions. MS can't afford to drop the ball, this is simple economics. This is what solidifies *my* faith in MS to do whats right, and if they ever don't do what's right, I can always choose something else.

All in all, MS gets my 'benefit of the doubt', and I wanted to share this perspective. If you want to stay on XP, be my guest :p It's just a huge hassle and that won't ever go away, it'll probably get worse over time. On top of that, there is a security aspect any Windows XP user that connects to the internet is blatantly ignoring, and that is the security of others. Its a minor detail (IMO) but it still is a way to compromise security.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling be quiet dark rock pro 3
Memory GSKill Aegis 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon RX 7800 XT Hellhound 16GB GDDR6 256-bit
Storage Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 1TB , HyperX Savage 240GB SATA 3
Display(s) Benq EX2780Q
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Sound BlasterX G6
Power Supply Seasonic prime TX-650
Mouse Marvo Scorpion G981
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite - Yellow Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro
Right now you can only buy Win 10. Any other type you won't find on the Microsoft market.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
But there is an incredible lack of actual, real-world proof surrounding MS's alleged spying and evil-doing with your personal data, hence the pink unicorns.
That's because they are not "spying" or conducting any evil-doing. It makes no sense for them to do any of that. They know they are the most watched and scrutinized software company ever. If there is any evil-eye out there, it is the IT press and Microsoft bashers out there just waiting to pounce on even the appearance of anything mischievous.

Ed Bott/ZD Net: No, Microsoft is not spying on you with Windows 10.

The fact, is, it is in Microsoft's best interest to protect our security, not violate it. Why? Because they know they will be relentlessly blamed and bashed by the IT press and Microsoft bashers and their blind, tinfoil hat wearing followers if our security is breached anyway. Even when it is the bad guys committing the offenses, and even though the bad guys were most likely successful because the user failed to maintain safe computing practices. That is, they failed to keep Windows and their security apps current and they failed to avoid risky behavior like being "click-happy" on unsolicited links, downloads, attachments, and popups! :( The user is always the weakest link in security. Failing to keep their computers current is essential.

Because Microsoft knows they will be blamed anyway, they would much rather get bashed for forcing Windows Updates on us (thus keeping our computers current and secure) than get blamed for a lack of security. And I applaud them for that.

Again, unless you give it Microsoft, they don't know your real name, your home address, your phone number, your billing information, Social Security or Insurance Numbers, or credit ratings. But your ISP and cell phone carriers sure do. And your cell carriers know your current physical location too. So for anyone concerned about their privacy, they need to stop whining about Microsoft and look at their ISPs and cell phone carriers. Those are the one's who know everything about you, and what you do while using their services.

On top of that, there is a security aspect any Windows XP user that connects to the internet is blatantly ignoring, and that is the security of others. Its a minor detail (IMO) but it still is a way to compromise security.
It may be minor in terms of being a "direct" threat to our own personal W10 systems. But these compromised XP systems are typically used to attack our banks, our insurance companies, government agencies and other on-line organizations as part of DDoS attacks. So indirectly, they certainly are threats to us and by no means minor.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I feel like I should point out that "spying" in this context is not a catch-all term and people define it as anything from "MS gathering anything, including HID" and "I want them to watch me undress so it's not spying right?"

https://docs.microsoft.com/sv-se/wi...ic-level-windows-diagnostic-events-and-fields

There you go if you are really interested, which y'all might be. Do they need all that? Do they need to know my carrier (if installed on say a tablet with a SIM card)? I assume it fills a purpose for them, but you might not agree. I might actually read the entire thing just to be able to have this discussion. A cursory read says that they do gather a whole lot about your system, and your reboot habits, and when you install/remove apps from the Windows Store, and how Windows Update worked, if it respected active hours or not, and when an install was paused was it done by the user or not, and so on. Device colour somehow. Knowing your hardware is essential for them, as is install data if you're to use the Store. Lots of stuff, but it seems to me the mass of it is not as much MS being nefarious as the world being connected and multi-device.

I see no problem with that statement whatsoever. It's how the world works, it's how email providers work, it's how governments works. If you don't like any of it, you go complicated and slow (TOR, heavy heavy encryption, VPNs, move to countries with ISPs that just don't care). If you care, but not that much, you accept that "privacy" is very much a relative term, especially online. I mean cops should be able to go after child predators, right? That is a terrible example and the one every authoritarian begins every argument for increased government control, but it is sadly ... true. Which is why there are checks and controls, or at least there are supposed to be. And then we are in politics and not tech, so nuts to that. Suffice to say that privacy statement is fine for an organization such as MS. Use protonmail.

Anyway, what you should do is go Linux and hack together them drivers on your own. What sound system is that? There might actually be a Linux solution. Then you get to keep that sweet machine AND get a modern, secure machine. :D

EDIT: BTW, your really still uses a CRT? What model? A part of me wished I kept at least one of the good Syncmasters I had, but alas. :(

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I see no problem with that statement whatsoever.
I don't either and I did read it and note is says nothing about using the information for any sort of marketing or profit. Nor does it say they will share or sell that information to any 3rd party.

So again, if you are a tin-foil hat wearer, I am sure you will read into what Microsoft says as they will steal your first born and sacrifice him or her to their shareholders in spite of the fact expert pundits have tested, dissected and tested again to prove Microsoft is not the evil beast some believe. :rolleyes:

A part of me wished I kept at least one of the good Syncmasters
They were great monitors but I preferred the Sony Trinitrons. And many still prefer the quality of a good CRT. I relate it to those who prefer the "tonal" qualities of high end "analog" recordings vs "digital". If CRTs weren't so big, heavy and power hungry heat generators for the size of their screens, they might still be around. The fact the tubes contained mercury didn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.