• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best Buy between these two used cards!

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
He can always sell the i7 later when moving to the next platform at get back the cost, so its not a bad move. i7 hold their value way better than i5.
thats mostly were i was going i7 hold their horses and value a bit more compared to other processors, im moving back to y old but brave 3770, sold my recently build X299 machine, the performance roll over is notable from miles, but the thing is the money a customer offered for that build was a chance to take, im quite happy back with the older i7 and980 that i was about to sell,

Okay, well according to the sapphire website the 280x dual x only requires a minimum psu of 500w, whether that's correct or not I can't say. But at the moment I'm not currently experiencing any issues, but like I said, this card is temporary, and so if it does strain the psu or system, then it will not be for long.
Oh, I beg your pardon, you meant the Radeon R9-280x? That's a bit different. By the specs, the 280x actually is supposed to eat up even more wattage at 250w. Still, as long as nothing else is competing heavily with that card for power, you should be ok short-term. I'd recommend investing in a quality 700w or 750W PSU within the next 3 months if you're going to do a consistent amount of gaming. The load and stress on the 550w you have listed in your specs can potentially be damaged from power draw near it's limit for long terms, even if you'll be upgrading to a more power efficient GPU later.. Keep in mind, that during a gaming session, it's not just the GPU drawing power, but it does so on top of all the rest of the system, some components of which also draw more power while gaming. Also you will need good ventilation for your case and the room your PC is in. If you have that all figured out, then game on. If not, feel welcome to ask for some ideas if you need to stay on the cheap.

BTW, the above perspectives about the 280x being a good card that has aged well are very accurate and I do agree. It is still a great performing card and you'll likely have a blast with it! Depending on your experience, you may not need to upgrade soon.

Last edited:
System Name Gladiator
Processor i7 7700k (Kaby Lake) 4.2-4.4ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z270m-D3H
Cooling Exhaust fan: Corsair - CPU: Coolermaster liquid
Memory Kingston Hyper-X Fury 16GB DDR4 @3200mhz
Video Card(s) Asus 2060 Dual OC
Storage WD 1TB 450ssd
Display(s) Samsung 23inch curved@ 1080
Case Cougar 330G
Audio Device(s) Logitech 5.1 Stereo
Power Supply Antec 650w Gold
Mouse Logitech G300S
Keyboard Logitech G213
Software Windows 10 64bit
Okay, so I used to be a console player with only on the odd occassion would I use the PC. But after having sold it a while ago I decided to invest more into my current PC and utilise the good ram and CPU it has in there (so much better than console).
I installed a extra outtake fan at the rear so the ventilation is good, i no longer have to clean the dust out now as it stays well circulated. It's positioned in the living room.
I'm very pleased with it now and after having played the Dragon ages (my favourite game) on console, especially Inquisition, after recently buying on PC the difference in gameplay and performance is amazing. The psu seems good for now so my next investment will probably be the CPU and maybe ssd.

Last edited:

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
Where did you find those prices

It's interesting that no one mentioned TPU's own GPU database which is a treasure trove when comparing gpus:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1856/geforce-gtx-770
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2747/geforce-gtx-950

It's very easy to quickly see that the 770 just has 2x as more cores and memory bandwidth. Now this by itself won't necessarily translate to a faster card, but there are other clues as well such as the initial launch price and pixel and texture rates.

Power and age of a card if a concern should be factored in, but in my opinion when I get used, I try to get the most bang for the buck in terms of raw performance, so it would be 770 all the way for me. :toast:

It's interesting that no one mentioned TPU's own GPU database which is a treasure trove when comparing gpus
Didn't know about it. And I've been coming here for over a decade. :( Bookmarked. :lovetpu:

@W1zzard, this might be a good example of TPU perhaps needing to promote itself, it's features and offerings a bit more. I was totally unaware this very excellent DB even existed. Perhaps make a front-page entry to highlight new entries to the DB on a regular basis?

I especially like the "Relative Performance" graph!

Didn't know about it. And I've been coming here for over a decade. :( Bookmarked. :lovetpu:

@W1zzard, this might be a good example of TPU perhaps needing to promote itself, it's features and offerings a bit more. I was totally unaware this very excellent DB even existed. Perhaps make a front-page entry to highlight new entries to the DB on a regular basis?

I especially like the "Relative Performance" graph!
omg, I thought everyone here must have known about it. In fact, I only found out about the forum via the gpu database, lol.

And the database goes waaaay back too, so you can even compare agp cards if you're doing a retro build (or just have older computers like me :oops:).

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
omg, I thought everyone here must have known about it. In fact, I only found out about the forum via the gpu database, lol.
i guess some people forgot about it, when forum upgrade was finally done i did watched, was pretty glad still online, but always forgot to mention the place, lolz, i could bet there will be moar members that just forgot about it,

i guess some people forgot about it, when forum upgrade was finally done i did watched, was pretty glad still online, but always forgot to mention the place, lolz, i could bet there will be moar members that just forgot about it,
It is sometimes hard to find what you want, but a google search of xxx techpowerup usually yields a link to the card in the gpu database. Sometimes you have to find the reference card to get to the specific one, but it's awesome.
I was just comparing 660Tis to a 680 and it got down to the nitty gritty on both the gigabyte and evga cards. :lovetpu:

guru_TW

For high gaming performance the 770 is the Best especially for the price offered.
You need to know that heat and power are good on those kind of models. Gamming Performance with 1080p + 60fps+ are right.
Don't hesitate.
Regards.
CCleaner Happy Wheels VLC

Last edited:
System Name Gladiator
Storage WD 1TB 450ssd
Case Cougar 330G
Mouse Logitech G300S
Keyboard Logitech G213
770 sold for $120 AUD. I managed to instead pick-up a R9 280x for $110, it was a good buy.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
770 sold for $120 AUD. I managed to instead pick-up a R9 280x for $110, it was a good buy.
how is the card doing? great buy, keep it cool and if possible give it a re-past and clean !

Regards,

System Name Gladiator
Storage WD 1TB 450ssd
Case Cougar 330G
Mouse Logitech G300S
Keyboard Logitech G213
Yeah the card is going along pretty well. It's running fairly cool and I gave it a thorough dust clean. I'm running through the Dragon Ages which are so much more enjoyable, and I'm wondering how I ever played them on console now. Inquisition runs reasonably well, around 45-60 frames at high settings on 1080p which is really nice.
The temperature averages around 62-68 degrees when playing which is rather good I think.
As for when I do upgrade it though, I was just wondering what would be classed as a significant enough 'upgrade' in gpus to warrant the price and would last me a good amount of years?

System Name Gladiator
Storage WD 1TB 450ssd
Case Cougar 330G
Mouse Logitech G300S
Keyboard Logitech G213
how is the card doing? great buy, keep it cool and if possible give it a re-past and clean !

Regards,
Hi there again, after some time I managed to get a i7 3770 which I ordered for a good price and is on the way (after some more research it seems like a very solid upgrade). Just some questions though as I've never replaced a cpu before: What thermal paste would you recommend to apply and is there a certain way to clean off the old thermal paste? I'll be reusing my stock cooler unless its worth buying a different one.

Last edited:

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Hi there again, after some time I managed to get a i7 3770 which I ordered for a good price and is on the way (after some more research it seems like a very solid upgrade). Just some questions though as I've never replaced a cpu before: What thermal paste would you recommend to apply and is there a certain way to clean off the old thermal paste? I'll be reusing my stock cooler unless its worth buying a different one.
hey there!

is an amazing upgrade coming from i3, this processor might show a bit more heat, since it have 4 physical cores and 8 T's, if you have the stock cooler from it, use it, the cooler coming from intel's i3 is a bit different, is a solid piece of alumminium, the bundled cooler for you i7 is a copper dot and aluminium, so you might see a temp raise compared with i3,

I3 Vs most i7 Cooler:

i truly recommend you arctic cooling mx4, mx2, price and quantity is amazing, and quality might exceed your expectations, i also recomend it for your GPU repaste,

Aplicattion method:
Clean both surfaces with alcohol / isopropyl alcohol or Arctic cleaner emulsion, then, apply a thin line, no more than 1cm lenght, or a bean sized dot in the middle of your processor, then apply constant pressure from center to the cooler while seating,

A budget cooler could be Hyper 212 By Cooler master, a quite cheap and efficient solution for cooling,

Thin line,

Beam sized dot:

Regards,

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
This. It's inexpensive, and amazing!

#1 choice, price, quantity and quality, also the performance is compared against several other alternatives in higher price range, for example difference compared in price with Thermal Grizzly, Gelid extreme and Ic diamond is insane, almost half price in most stores and retails, No curing time, Easy to apply (MX2 is a bit easier compared to MX4) and the most important thing, there are 20 and 40G presentation almost available on most stores and 100% available online!

System Name Gladiator
Storage WD 1TB 450ssd
Case Cougar 330G
Mouse Logitech G300S
Keyboard Logitech G213
Alrighty, thanks for that! I wasn't able to pick up the mx4 or mx2 anywhere. I went to several of my pc stores and they don't stock it at all. I even looked online and couldn't see any apart from one which would take around 2 weeks to get here. So instead I picked the deepcool z9 paste for $5 which was on sale. Also the cooler wasn't in stock so I instead got a Hyper H411R which seems to be pretty good, got that on special too. There is a couple of more things I wish to ask: I've installed the 3770 now with the paste and new heatsink, is it normal to get fluctuating temperatures between 20c and 37c? I noticed that it seems to run a little hotter on idle compared to my 3330 but that might be normal?
Also I've noticed on occasions when I start the pc it cuts out, after the second try it works fine. So I took out the gpu for a couple of days to see if it happened anymore and it didn't. Could this be an issue related to the immediate power draw of the 280x? As I said it doesn't happen all the time. My psu is fine, so it's just got me thinking.

Also one really strange thing I have noticed. I'm playing Dragon Age 2 for example and I check my cpu speed and it's on 4.2ghrz ,even up to 4.3 which doesn't make any sense considering it's non-k, but even at this speed the temps are staying around 50-56c.
I am also getting low cpu utilization on it causing stuttering? (Edit: Only when enabling the overlay for some reason)

I'm also looking into SSDs and what one would be most benificial to my system.

Last edited:

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
: I've installed the 3770 now with the paste and new heatsink, is it normal to get fluctuating temperatures between 20c and 37c? I noticed that it seems to run a little hotter on idle compared to my 3330 but that might be normal?
100% normal there,

Also I've noticed on occasions when I start the pc it cuts out, after the second try it works fine. So I took out the gpu for a couple of days to see if it happened anymore and it didn't. Could this be an issue related to the immediate power draw of the 280x? As I said it doesn't happen all the time. My psu is fine, so it's just got me thinking
There are several tests and things to do,
1. when you replaced processors, did reformat, or computer got everything ready for you?
2. try to unistall all possible drivers related to video cards and not used programs,

also, could be great to get from a friend a borrowed psu, to test with another one and compare results,

I'm also looking into SSDs and what one would be most benificial to my system.
Great, SSD improves a lot boot time in windows, so you will got a boost on windows or OS experience, try to aim for samsung drives.Evo series, you could keep the current drive for storage purposes

Regards,

System Name Gladiator
Storage WD 1TB 450ssd
Case Cougar 330G
Mouse Logitech G300S
Keyboard Logitech G213
Alright thanks I'll look into the SSD. The GPU is fixed now, appeared to be a driver issue. Apart from that, all is well, thankyou for the help!

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Alright thanks I'll look into the SSD. The GPU is fixed now, appeared to be a driver issue. Apart from that, all is well, thankyou for the help!
We are here to share and help each other!

System Name Gladiator
Storage WD 1TB 450ssd
Case Cougar 330G
Mouse Logitech G300S
Keyboard Logitech G213
Cheers! So when I do get the SSD and install it in, how do I make the OS run off the SSD? Would I need to reinstall the OS? Or can you just swap it over from the Hard drive?
I was also looking at the possibility of getting more ram, maybe an extra 4gb or something, if that's even worth it? Plus is there a difference in MHz of ram, mine is currently 8gb of 1333mhz, my board can support 1600mhz, or is it just a gimic?
Regards Dovah.

System Name Burning a hole through my wallet
Processor 3700X
Motherboard Maximus 8 Hero
Cooling Custom loop (EK Extreme 360 Rad, Supremacy evo w/AM4 bracket)
Memory 2x16 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB @3200MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080s hybrid
Storage 960 Evo, 660p, P1, BX500, 2XWD Black, Ironwolf Proo
Display(s) Predator 27" 4k 144hz HDR
Case NZXT h700i
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Drop ALT W/holypanda switches
Software Win 10 Pro 64, Ubuntu 20.04, Manjaro (latest)
Samsung's drive migration tool makes moving your data over super easily (it copies the partitions not just the data) I would also get as much RAM as you can budget (I always have a minimum of 16, though 8 is still usable)

Samsung's drive migration tool makes moving your data over super easily (it copies the partitions not just the data) I would also get as much RAM as you can budget (I always have a minimum of 16, though 8 is still usable)
I would say 8gb is a minimum, but 16gb is always nice.