1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best coolers that will fit in Antec900 case?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by efistrategy, May 8, 2009.

1. efistrategy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just completed my first build, used for a combination of gaming and office work.

My issue is with cooling: I have installed the CoolIT Domino but I am getting pretty poor cooling performance when I push the OC at all.

System specs:
    CPU: i7 920
    MB: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
    RAM: 12MB Corsair 1600
    Case: Antec 900
    GPU: GTX260 (probably going to upgrade this, 285 was DOA so I picked this up as a holdover)
    PSU: Corsair HX1000 modular
    Boot/application drive: Intel X25M 160GB SSD
    Data Drive: 1TB Barracuda

Currently completely stable at just shy of 3.6 CPU OC. I can get stability up to about 3.8, but it seems to run VERY hot (85 realtemp under load).

Good airflow in case, reasonable ambient and case temps, but CPU seems to be much hotter than it should be. Not affected much by settings on fan or pump speed on Domino unit.

Perhaps the Domino unit wasn't the best idea...

So the question: If I stick with air, what's the best cooler for this case/MB combo? And is it worth going to a "real" water cooled system? Stability is crucial for me and I'd like to push this a bit more given the (lack of) other constraints in this build.

Any and all advice appreciated... learned a lot from reading already.

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I personally would go straight for a good W/C setup. Core i7's are hot, and if you really want to get good OC's with stability and good temps you need a good cooling solution.

fullinfusion says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Lol, with the money you've thrown at that rig - Water Cooling is the only option. Go all the way ;)

4. Sean8

Thanks Received:
    cooler master v8 fits, barely.

5. efistrategy New Member

Thanks Received:
    MUCH appreciated thus far...

... so W/C seems to be the consensus.

Remember, this is my first build and despite everything going smoothly, I'll admit that I find the idea of w/c to be a bit intimidating. I have looked at the koolance "drop-in" systems, but I'd really rather not give up on this case.

Any specific advice on the best (both in terms of effectiveness and ease of use) way to go about doing this?

I think I'd start just with a simple CPU-only loop, right?

6. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    I second that.... just ask CP about his temps on air than under water :D
    He had a huge drop

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    My xigs1283 fit vertically (never tried rear exhaust direction w/the xig in that case) with a fan in the side panel till I replaced the fan with a 120x38mm scyteh fan on the xig. Still had plenty of room between the top of the cooler and the sidepanel though. This HAF is insane in comparison, so much larger and so much more space.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Sejanus47 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would honestly invest in a larger case such as a HAF 932 or ATCS 840 and read up on W/C. You will have far better luck overclocking on water as well having an overall quieter case and not to mention a cleaner look.
    I'm actually buying either a HAF or an ATCS this weekend and brush up on some W/C guides myself since I plan on going the i7 route here pretty soon.