• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best easy way to repair small scratches on Lian Li black Aluminum chassis?

System Name ChronicleScienceWorkStation
Processor AMD Threadripper 1950X
Motherboard Asrock X399 Taichi
Cooling Noctua U14S-TR4
Memory G.Skill DDR4 3200 C14 16GB*4
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon VII
Storage Samsung 970 Pro*1, Kingston A2000 1TB*2 RAID 0, HGST 8TB*5 RAID 6
Case Lian Li PC-A75X
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Software Proxmox 6.2
The chassis's side panel has a bump (there was a defect when the aluminum was folded), that made it hard to close the case properly.
I only realize it today after the machine has been assembled after a week, I didn't want to return the chassis for this reason so I used a plier to flatten the bump.

To so do, I put multilayers of foam between both side of the panel and the pliers to not leave scratches, but then I could still see some marks:
1597586970993.png

They are actually quite small and on a side that I don't get to see, but I wonder if there is anything I can apply to make them less apparent?

I would try something what people use to remove scratches on cars. This or something similar.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
To me it looks less like scratches, and possibly something left behind from the foam.

Not sure compound would work as it will be a pain to get out of the hairline finish of the aluminum. I would try alcohol first and see if it comes off (if it isn't scratches). If it truly is scratches, you are going to need to color it with something to match the aluminum, otherwise you will be left with exposed aluminum with anything you try to remove scratches with.

Your best bet is to get ahold of Lian Li, explain the situation, and ask for a replacement panel.

Cooling Noctua U14S-TR4
Case Lian Li PC-A75X
Software Proxmox 6.2
Thanks for the advice, part of it was left over of the foam, but others looks like scratched as I could feel the metal roughness on touch.
I could try contacting Lian Li, but now it’s partly my fault so I am not sure if they will help, though I can also show them the manufacturing defect which is now a partly repaired. (Spent me a whole afternoon to understand why the case does not close properly)

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Thanks for the advice, part of it was left over of the foam, but others looks like scratched as I could feel the metal roughness on touch.
I could try contacting Lian Li, but now it’s partly my fault so I am not sure if they will help, though I can also show them the manufacturing defect which is now a partly repaired. (Spent me a whole afternoon to understand why the case does not close properly)

You were attempting to fix a damaged part. Just be honest in your request. Worst they can say is no.

If a return request fails which I think it will, just ask a local auto body repair shop if they can do anything. Personally I wouldn't bother.
I'm still staring at that big scratch I put on the front of my my Tt case a while back, thinking of putting a sticker over it and leaving it at that.

Cooling Noctua U14S-TR4
Case Lian Li PC-A75X
Software Proxmox 6.2
You were attempting to fix a damaged part. Just be honest in your request. Worst they can say is no.

Thanks for the suggestion, as adviced I contacted Lian Li and now waiting for their reply.
I sent them the picture shared here, and told them the full story. I might have to take the side panel off again (lots of work as it is in a crowded spot) to show them the bump, though I have it flatten a bit comparing to before, it still looks bumped up comparing to the bottom corner.

If a return request fails which I think it will, just ask a local auto body repair shop if they can do anything. Personally I wouldn't bother.
I'm still staring at that big scratch I put on the front of my my Tt case a while back, thinking of putting a sticker over it and leaving it at that.

LOL, I don't really worry about it as much as I was 10 years ago with my first Lian Li case.
I have had so far 5 Lian Li cases (A75, A76, Q35, Q04, B25S) in total and I dare say none of them has an obvious scratch - I pay extra attention in handling, always wearing nitrile gloves and put them on carpet or foam sheets.

Just a pity to me that the case would have looked like new after another decade if it wasn't for my mistake here. So I kind of wonder if I can paint it somehow to just make less easy to see haha

Last edited:
System Name Desktop
Processor 7800 x3d
Motherboard Giga b650i aorus ultra
Cooling pk-3 | conductonaut | AC LF II 280
Memory 64g Gskill X5 ddr 6000 cl30
Video Card(s) 7900 xt
Storage 2Tb Inland Premium
Display(s) Armada 27 1440p 165 + 25 1080p 240hz
Case Tt Black Armor : Phantek Evolv shift xt
Audio Device(s) Ae-7
Power Supply Aresgame 850 sff
Mouse Razer Viper ulti
Keyboard Saitek Eclipse I, II, & III
Benchmark Scores assd 6600|x5675 Cne11.5 -1102|Timespy 24000 | TS Extreme gpu 1 - 87 fps
go in with straight up polishing compound and cotten/wool attached to dremel or pneumatic grinder. degrease it first. start with the finest method and work backwards to harsher methods. if polishing doesnt work, and the paint isnt too far gone, then use 2000 grit sandpaper and repolish. then 1500 grit ect. hopefully its not anodized aluminum.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Issue is with any form of polishing is that it will remove the anodized black color as well. In essence, you will only make things worse.

Cooling Noctua U14S-TR4
Case Lian Li PC-A75X
Software Proxmox 6.2
Update: They actually got back to me today, and agree to send me a replacement immediately. I never had to contact Lian-Li so I never knew they were this nice!

For future reference, Lian-Li's black aluminum IS anodized that color, and the closest match you can probably get is with a black magic marker and a bunch of practice/patience. "Experts" in "Finishes" such as auto body shops typically can't help, because the only "correct" method is to strip the entire panel and re-anodize it.