• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best lubrication for fan

Krytox is what we used in the military. Used in Oxygen regulators and Cryogenics. It is a synthetic thin film lubricant and is non flammable. It is also used in car racing ( Pinewood Derby Krytox Lubricant). That would be my choice. Comes in a bottle with a needle like applicator and .25 oz bottle would probably last a long time for PC use. Also appears to be the cheapest Krytox around for hobby use.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
i use this one

not the brand, but this is what i have :D

I have a question for this thread.

Would it not be to late to oil the fan as you would have been running for such a long time without lubricant? ie internal part(s) would have already worn down.

The only time you will notice there's a problem with the fan is when it start's to run slower or make funny noises, but by that time the damage is already done. If you want a fan to last longer, would it not be best to service it after a period of time before problems starts. ie Example: give it a service every 2-3 years.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Would it not be to late to oil the fan as you would have been running for such a long time without lubricant? ie internal part(s) would have already worn down.
This would be another good use case for grease as the grease would fill in small gaps in worn down sleeve bearings.

The only time you will notice there's a problem with the fan is when it start's to run slower or make funny noises, but by that time the damage is already done.
Not always. Sometimes a servicing will extend the life of a fan that is making noise or has a minor rattle.

If you want a fan to last longer, would it not be best to service it after a period of time before problems starts. ie Example: give it a service every 2-3 years.
This would be ideal. I service the fans in my systems once a year, though they generally don't need it.

Last edited:
You are both wrong. WD40 is designed to displace water. It has ingredients in it that are lubricants, and things in it that are solvents, and hence it sort of works for both of those things. In fact, it works for a lot of things because of what it has in it. The problem is it doesn't work the best at pretty much anything it does except it works really really well as a water displacement.

What I posted was a direct quote from the manufacturer .... I don't think they are 'wrong" about the product they make.

If you have a cheap sleeve bearing fan, you can get oil in ... but if ya get it in, it's also goona come out, Ball Bearing fans are usually sleeved. Best way to lubricate .... buy one with sealed bearings and you won't have to ... and if ya try, it's not getting in anyway

Not always. Sometimes a servicing will extend the life of a fa that is making noise or has a minor rattle.

A minor rattle is a sign something has worn down. Fan is under a very tight tolerance so at high speed you want very little vibrations as possible.
In my first posting i was thinking more about the wear & tear on the shaft.

A minor rattle is a sign something has worn down. Fan is under a very tight tolerance so at high speed you want very little vibrations as possible.
In my first posting i was thinking more about the wear & tear on the shaft.
While that's true, a light grease such as a synthetic dielectric grease, or white lithium grease will do wonders to greatly dampen the noise and extend the life of a worn fan bearing.

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It would be best to pay lubricant more than CORSAIR ML120 or Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM to fix 5$ worth fan.
That's best choice. Buy him and your kids will use him next time when become adult.