1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best Memory Card for Camera?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OrbitzXT, Sep 22, 2011.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not really sure if a camera related question belongs here, if it doesn't I apologize. Anyway, I'm getting a Canon ELPH 500 HS as a gift for someone. I was told it's a good camera for the price. I personally don't take photos and don't own a camera, so I'm fairly uneducated about what memory card to get for this camera. According to Newegg, the camera has SD/SDHC/SDXC slots. From what I can gather SDXC doesn't seem very stable and good at the moment. Is a Class 10 speed rating SDHC card my best bet? Or is there anything faster I can get?

2. heinzter New Member

Thanks Received:
    SD cards

The camera will not shoot RAW so get SDHC cards, class 4 or 6, going class 10 is overkill (only high end professional DSLR shooting 8.3 fps RAW will use class 10) and the camera will not take advantage of the high speed. Class 6 should be more than fast enough (even if they want to take some video). Keep in mind, taking video will eat up memory, so get at least 16 gb cards (or have plenty of 8gb around, don't get anything smaller than 8gb) As for brand, most brands are really good (sd cards are like cds now). Even the store branded ones are good.

OrbitzXT says thanks.
  3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    OrbitzXT says thanks.
  4. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. heinzter New Member

Thanks Received:
    sd card

a bit of overkill, they may notice some speed boost from usb 3, it also depends on the software they use to download their pics and video.

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Over kill is a understatement you could of got a cheaper one now and that one in about 3 months or so for a cheaper price :p. But as long as your happy that's what matters right :).

Never checked out Sandisks Lifetime limited as it might mean till they stop selling it.

7. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    Class 10's are worth the extra IMO. If your camera doesn't support USB2.0 over the on board connection get a decent card reader that does. This will save a lot of time with moving files.

I have a class 10 for my DSLR. Even when i'm just doing single click jpeg stuff the write time is a lot better that the class 4 i also own. On that type of camera you have picked where the camera will not take a pic till the current one is written the speed will be even more important.

8. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  9. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    faster is better far as i know,