• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best OS/Software solution for a Media Server

xazraelx

Processor i7 920 @ 3.5ghz
Motherboard EVGA x58
Cooling HAF 932
Memory 3x2 Gskills
Video Card(s) Dying 4890 1gb
Storage Too many
Case HAF 932
Software Win7
And what I'm referring to here is slightly different than what I think the general conception of a media server is.

What I have:
2 Xbox 360s, 1 PS3, 3 different rooms, all connected via router. In addition to this, I have two desktops, three laptops connected on this same network. In addition to that, I have another desktop that was recently built from "extra" parts, and is now being used as a network storage device. It currently has Server 2008 Enterprise on it, and I love Server 2008, but I've had some difficulty finding what I want...

What I want to be able to do:
I used to stream media to my ps3s/xboxs with Tversity via my computer's storage. I also tried winamp, and my roommate tried one other software that was a piece of junk that I don't remember it's name. We currently have files of all types, ranging from mkv to vbo to mp4 to oog. Granted, this is going to be used 98% of the time for video, not audio, so I'm honestly not concerned over the audio capabilities. I have around 800gigs of backed up movies, some in HD, some not, all stashed on this server's secondary HDD.

So, in conclusion, I would like an OS/Software solution that I can install on my hallway computer. I would prefer to remain in a server-based environment, as later down the road I plan on learning utilities that unix/server 08 builds have. I am -not- a professional by any means, but am willing to learn.

One of the main problems I've encountered in my search has been file type restrictions. I do -not- mind at all converting every video file I have into one or two formats, but I -must- be able to stream HD format (at least 720p) to the Xboxs/ps3s.

Are there any suggestions or solutions out there? Again, this is primarily going to be used as a media server, so I don't mind getting rid of server 08 or not going to a unix based system, but it IS preferable.