• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best program for 3D modeling?

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE Deneb @ 3.7GHz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9700 CPU Heatsink
Memory OCZ 4GB DDR3 1600 @ 7-7-7-24 1.85v
Video Card(s) ATI Sapphire OC 7850 1200c/5800m @ 64c Full Load
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB + Western Digital 1TB External Drive
Display(s) SAMSUNG ToC T240 24'' LCD
Case Silverstone FT01-BW
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply ZALMAN ZM-750
Software Win 7 x64 SP1
As in the title..

I used to do some modeling back in the day with some more simple tools such as "Truespace"

Was wondering what everyone uses these days.. I've heard of Blender I think its called, and Maya..

I haven't done it in a while, but am looking to pick it up a little bit again..

My plan is to do some models for some stuff so I can incorpate them in to some maps I do for some games.. Possibly a custom COD:WAW map.. I did a few back in the COD 1 days..

I also would like to do a model of Falling Water ( I visited it today for my second time..so it inspired me!) and incorporate it in to a game.. probably crysis..

Ideas?

Case Silverstone FT01-BW
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Win 7 x64 SP1
Also, do you guys think it would be best perhaps If I did some of the building myself in the map editor?

I was figuring it might be easier to do it as a whole part within the modeling program, and then cut it up in to pieces and import it to the mapping program..

I'm so excited right now.. Crysis will be perfect for this project :)

PS.

If anyone has any experience and would like to join this project with me, I would love to have some extra help..another modeler/mapper and possibly someone who is good with coding or textures :)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
first as im sure you know their are diffirent programs for various aspects. in example maya may be better suited than 3dsmax for scenes..while poser is better character models. However you also need to take into consideration your file types. what files will work with your game? do you need a converter? is their a converter for the program you wish to use? some of these answers will come easy if you can find out what program(s) was used to make the game. and even then some new versions of the program in question may not support older file types if their used in said game. if you have never done it before i suggest playing with texture sets before implementing models. it will get you accustomed to how to impliment things in the game and give you a general understanding of

A. the task ahead
B. to familiarize yourself with the program.

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming.
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler 6 heat pipes.
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor HellHound RX 7900 GRE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case Modded NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
would CAD (computer aided design) be any use? i have never used it and not even sure how you use it but i know it was some sort of design program. not sure if its any use for your needs tho.

Case Silverstone FT01-BW
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Win 7 x64 SP1
first as im sure you know their are diffirent programs for various aspects. in example maya may be better suited than 3dsmax for scenes..while poser is better character models. However you also need to take into consideration your file types. what files will work with your game? do you need a converter? is their a converter for the program you wish to use? some of these answers will come easy if you can find out what program(s) was used to make the game. and even then some new versions of the program in question may not support older file types if their used in said game. if you have never done it before i suggest playing with texture sets before implementing models. it will get you accustomed to how to impliment things in the game and give you a general understanding of

A. the task ahead
B. to familiarize yourself with the program.

Espera

would CAD (computer aided design) be any use? I have never used it and not even sure how you use it but i know it was some sort of design program. not sure if its any use for your needs tho.

CAD files can often be imported into many 3D applications. DWG DXF even adobe illustrator "AI" files can be imported and the curves used to make 3D surfaces.

---

Difficult to say which program is the best for modeling. It depends on your style of modeling. Some people like Z-brush where you start with a simple base mesh ( 3D Model) like a cube or rough low poly head and soften it up and paint the details right onto the surface. Later you can reuse the low polygon mesh as the in game model but apply what is referred to as normal map generated from the high poly detailed model to trick the viewer into thinking your model is a much higher resolution then it really is. Hard to really explain not knowing how much of the 3D jargon I just spilled out you understand or not.

I use Softimage XSI 5.0, now XSI under Autodesk. It's great for modeling, and has downloadable support for developing models for games like Halflife2, though they also have a free program called "MOD TOOL" now under Autodesk for making game content.

I think Truespace is part of Microsoft which now allows you to get the program for free

I also have Maya but hardly use it, though I did learn this program first when it was version 5 and was happy with the animation tools and blend shape capabilities. I actually liked the animation editor in MAYA and the way the bones handle FK (Forward Kinematics) over XSI's FK but I'm sure it's just a matter of tweaking XSI's settings to something I'm more familiar with.

Blender, which I think is hard to get started in, is very capable and supports many formats.

I don't know if "Worldcraft" now "HAMMER" supports games other than Quake and Half life, but Worldcraft was my favorite 3D program for creating levels. I remember having an extensive PREFAB library of prefabricated; pipes, walls, bridges, valves, cars, etc. that made level designing and decorating faster and easier.

Last edited:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
As for free software ...
Blender due to it's open-source nature works with lots of file types.
TrueSpace 7 is still free, but is no longer supported.
Unitiy Technologies has released their Inity Game Dev Plateform for free, but I think it is more of an asset management/game dev app than a modelling program.

The learning curve for most of the complex (meaning full featured) apps are going to have a pretty steep learning curve, so I would suggest looking for the features you want and then stick with one so you become very good with it.

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.8GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte X48T-DQ6
Cooling Zalman 9500 LED CPU Cooler
Memory 2x 2GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 DHX - 1600MH/PC3-12800
Video Card(s) Gigabyte HD4870 1GB
Storage 2x Seagate 320GB Barracuda (RAID 0) 3x 1TB Samsung F3, 140GB WD Maxtor (10,000rpm)
Display(s) 2x 20" LG Flatron L204WS
Power Supply Powercool 850W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Without reading any of the replies, 3D Studio Max is a good bet!!