1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best way to ship a processor

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by newtekie1, May 15, 2009.

1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Normally, I'd just throw it in some other CPU's packaging, one of those little plastic boxes, but I don't have any lying around. It wouldn't be much of an issue with an Intel processor, but I'm shipping off my Socket 939 x2, so the pins are very fragile, and I need something to protect them.

So what are your suggestions, what have you used in the past and had work?

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  2. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    A friend of mine shipped a Phenom all the way from Europe. What he did was wrap the processor in paper-towel and put it in a travel battery case (a small plastic case that holds 3~5 AAA cells). The case was put in a bubble-wrap envelope. It made its way safely.

3. techjunkie

techjunkie New Member

Thanks Received:
    theres this crazy idea I have. Get a cake of very very soft soap. Press the pins into the soap so they are secured in it. Then wrap the whole thing in bubble wrap. The pins would be held very securely inside the soap. When it reaches the destination, gently pull out the proc and use some cleaning alcohol to clean it

:D

4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure the guy buying it from me off ebay wouldn't be happy to have his processor arrive pressed into a bar of soap, though if I was shipping it to a friend I probably would consider that method.

Right now, I'm thinking about trying to find a dead AM2 board and just ripping the socket off and shipping the CPU in that.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  5. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I sandwiched mine in between layers of foam you get, like the stuff that comes under the motherboard when you first purchase it. Then put that in the 4 pack of Ferrero Roscher (minus the chocolates) you get, then wrapped that up in bubble wrap. Then put the whole thing in a padded envelope and sent it as a small parcel so shipping was stupidly cheap. AFAIK it arrived in the states fine.

6. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Go down to your local computer repair shop and asks if they have any of those trays.

7. angelkiller

angelkiller

Thanks Received:
    First, I put the CPU in a plastic case (like this). Then I wrap the case in a couple layers of big-bubble bubble wrap. Then I put the bubble wrap in one of those USPS Priority Mail boxes and surround the bubble-wrapped-CPU with foam peanuts. This is how a CPU was shipped to me and is also how I shipped one. Everything worked out ok in both cases.

8. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I shipped a CPU to the US a while back, all I did was find a small bit of foam, stick the CPU in that. Put that in a small box and wrapped it in bubble wrap.

9. largon

largon

Thanks Received:
    You friendly local hardware retailer will gladly give away some of those CPU trays they get with the non-boxed chips.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. coodiggy

Thanks Received:
    Ditto: Check with your local computer shop for one of those CPU packages with the foam pieces.