1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Best Wireless N + Gigabit Router that I can install Tomato on?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by thebeephaha, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Zedicus

Thanks Received:
    so hang on to your old router as a backup, keep it on the shelf. personally i just did not want to manage 3 seperate devices. internally you are correct, there will not be enough added latency to make it noticeable. nor is having 3 tiny devices going to amount to a hill of beans on your electric bill. truly the ONLY real issue is why would you run 3 devices when 1 device does everything you want anyway. also, managemant of them is slightly more complex, but again not enough to make it a worthy dealbreaker.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    these access points you're talking about arent access points - they're wireless routers. your customers (or you) are simply getting confused between the two and buying a router to use as an access point, instead of just buying an access point.

I run about 5 devices - because its too damn expensive to get the same quality in one unit.

reliable, never disconnecting router w/ dual G wireless bands
    smoothwall - the mere fact i have a smoothwall dictates that all WAN and LAN access MUST be after the smoothwall, so all in one hardware is not an option here.
    8 port giga switch
    5 port giga switch (far end of house)
    second router as access point, for wifi access post-smoothwall

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Zedicus

Thanks Received:
    ive never seen a device with 1 ethernet port and wireless brodcast capabilities labled as anything but iether an access point, or a bridge. but that really is only a side point to the convo.

smoothwall probably (m0n0wall i know for sure) you can actually set up to be a firewall/router/wireless access all in one device. for not to much money.

i too use gig switches in different rooms to get more ports where needed, thouse just add on, as getting 1 device with 24 gig ports is cost prohibitive.

i actually did away with my tru firewall and went to using openwrt as the firewall also.

1 device, firewall, dns, dhcp, wireless, router, then a few accesory switches in the house. 1 point of manaagement. keepin it simple.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The switches are unmanaged, so you really only have to manage 2 devices. On top of that, for the most part, set up is the same on an access point as on a wireless router. The only minor addition is setting up the static IP address on the access point, and logging onto that IP instead of the router IP. And extra 2 minutes of setup time initally, and nothing extra after that...not really an issue.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. dcdivenut New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay... so I reading all of this and thinking

1. Always on PC (I have one) acting as a router seems like a little more work than I am looking for.
    2. While I do like the look and price ($75)of the TL-WR1043ND route I am still worried about its ability to get quality signal from my basement to my top floor.

So I am thinking I have 2 options
    1. stay with my current router, shutting off the wireless and buying a TL-SG1005D switch for $35 to put in my office and get GB file x-fers and a TL-WA901ND access point for $56 to put in the living room, totalling ~ $90
    2. buy the new router anyway so I have a decent router... I typically can go for a couple ofweeks between resets (which I know is crap but it is on my desk so no big deal) and since it is GB I won't need the switch and still add the access point upstairs, turning off the wireless on the router (or leaving it on, which ever is better). This would total about $125 but (I think) give me more more options down the road when I move in 7 months.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  6. Trigger911

Trigger911

Thanks Received:
    I got a rt-n16 and I am in flipping love and I did the internal hdd mod and got 2 usb left for other stuff. DD-WRT isn't much slower than tomato unless your in the GUI 24/7 just use putty.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Gotta link to that mod?

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi

Thanks Received:
    Link To Mod Nao

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. ShRoOmAlIsTiC