• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Better PowerPlay BIOS for MSI HD 4870 OC

zanderzone

Hello peeps !

A very good evening to all . I've gone through this awesome article : http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=67928 by EastCoasthandle where he talks about a better powerplay BIOS for Radeon 4870 reference cards.

I want to do similar sort of stuff for my MSI HD4870 OC

As you can notice in the screenshot below, this card comes factory OC at 780/1000 against 750/900 and I've been running it without any issues @ 150/225 when I'm not playing games or watching HD movies. I use AMD GPU Clock Tool to achieve the same and have set the utility to set the frequencies at 150/225 at system startup.

I feel I can optimize my it further by lowering the voltage required by card to run at 150/225 levels with the help of RBE. Can you gurus please help me on what shall be better values for my card for an edited BIOS. I'm including the screenshot of RBE loaded with my current BIOS ( extracted with latest GPU-z)

Fastmix

If you would have read more on that thread you would have known that it's better to use 550/200 instead of 150/225 however for your question, your bios will only allow you to go as low as 1.237 and if you use the enable superior powerplay in RBE, it will lower it to 1.083 and your maximum will only be 1.263 and at the clocks you are using the card won't probably be stable.

I suggest you continue reading to find what suits you best and to take a look at the 3 modded bioses attached to my signature, you might find what you are looking for.

Good luck.;)