• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Beware of aggressive APM on Windows 10 Build 1809

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
As far as I am aware many modern HDDs no longer recognise the APM protocol. They control their head parking independently usually via their own propriety software that can adjust the behaviour.

I have observed this on both Seagate and Western Digital drives.

My only working spindles that react to APM adjustments are my extremely decades old WD black and WD raptor drives.

In the power schema settings is a drive spindown setting, every HDD I have used in windows honours what that is configured to, and for head parking use wdidle, and for seagate seachest tools.

Personally I dont suggest disabling parking completely, it has its benefits, just to set it to something sane so its not constantly going in and out. I would disable spindown though.

rapomStager

HDD also do head parking oscillation due to HDD vibration and also due to poor SATA-cable connection.
If your HDD park itself despite your APM (power management) settings, or AAM (acoustic for old HDD) settings, or power management setting on OS, then obviously it is caused by hardware failure.

Vibration came from dry bearing, you can't fix this except for securing the HDD to heavier chassis to dampen the vibration. As for poor SATA-cable connection, you must inspect if there's deformation to the plastic connector and replace the cable when you see one.

It helps to install more than 1 HDD, so you can confirm it is hardware issue.

Last edited: