• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BF4 Gaming hardware upgrade OK?

System Name Parts Arriving Now...
Processor Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Noctua u14s w/push-pull
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb 1866
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA GTX 780ti Superclocked
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD black 2TB
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution II 1440p
Case Corsair 750D
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-FI xtrememusic
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Software Window 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores n/a, system being built this week
My take: Rosewill is fine, its a decently built power supply which should last years and years. No need to spend money on fancy digital power. Hero is a very good board for buck, certainly no need to go one step up unless you need the features. They should overclock to more or less the same since motherboard plays quite a minor part in Z87 overclocking when power delivery is decent. Likewise, Z87 doesn't really benefit from faster ram for gaming ( Anandtech and Tomshardware did a good article on that), if you are working with memory intensive programs you can see a few % better performance from fast rams.

As for Win8, I think its personal. Its here to stay whether we like it or not, so might as well get used to it. Plus "booting" from Win8 is insanely fast, I personally think its worth a try at least.

I offered multiple suggestions for the MB, I was pretty specific when I said if his friend wants to OC then the upgrade is worth it and otherwise he should downgrade to the z87-plus because it's less money than the HERO and has all of the features and then some. There is no advantage to the HERO board, the ROG badge and armor do nothing and increase the price.

The Corsair PSU, is for the money a much better power supply. It has nothing to do with the digital power management software stuff, it has to do with their reliability, a single 12v rail and the 80+ platinum certification which means it will cost less to operate in the long run and deliver more effective power.

I agree the OS thing is preference, but as a developer I like windows 7. To the other poster who claimed windows 8 is more secure, don't make me laugh. Windows has always been as secure or insecure as you set it up, Windows 8 structurally has very little changed under the hood but the interface is far less efficient and makes you less productive. I dread the day the Government gold standards Windows 8 and forces us to move over to working with it. Windows 8 is a bastard child like Vista, if you didn't notice Microsoft operating systems go in every other release cycles.

98 was amazing, me/2000 was lackluster, XP was amazing, Vista was meh, 7 was amazing, 8 is blah. I wouldn't be surprised to find out they have two teams alternating releases like the CoD Activision studios did (which is why every other of those games is worse as well, although they are closer now than they used to be).

Finally, RAM is all about effectiveness for price. The 2400 speed on the gskill means very little and the Corsair RAM I linked benchmarks very well, overclocks amazingly well and is from the brand that I personally trust. GSkill makes some good RAM too, I have no problem with the selection. I just offered my personal recommendation.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I offered multiple suggestions for the MB, I was pretty specific when I said if his friend wants to OC then the upgrade is worth it and otherwise he should downgrade to the z87-plus because it's less money than the HERO and has all of the features and then some. There is no advantage to the HERO board, the ROG badge and armor do nothing and increase the price.

The Corsair PSU, is for the money a much better power supply. It has nothing to do with the digital power management software stuff, it has to do with their reliability, a single 12v rail and the 80+ platinum certification which means it will cost less to operate in the long run and deliver more effective power.

I agree the OS thing is preference, but as a developer I like windows 7. To the other poster who claimed windows 8 is more secure, don't make me laugh. Windows has always been as secure or insecure as you set it up, Windows 8 structurally has very little changed under the hood but the interface is far less efficient and makes you less productive. I dread the day the Government gold standards Windows 8 and forces us to move over to working with it. Windows 8 is a bastard child like Vista, if you didn't notice Microsoft operating systems go in every other release cycles.

98 was amazing, me/2000 was lackluster, XP was amazing, Vista was meh, 7 was amazing, 8 is blah. I wouldn't be surprised to find out they have two teams alternating releases like the CoD Activision studios did (which is why every other of those games is worse as well, although they are closer now than they used to be).

Finally, RAM is all about effectiveness for price. The 2400 speed on the gskill means very little and the Corsair RAM I linked benchmarks very well, overclocks amazingly well and is from the brand that I personally trust. GSkill makes some good RAM too, I have no problem with the selection. I just offered my personal recommendation.

Windows 8 has built in virus protection, secure boot and various other advantages that no other Windows has. If your a developer and do not know this then.....well I dunno what to tell ya. Bottom line is Windows 8 runs faster and is in fact more secure than Windows 7.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
If you don't like not having a start menu in Win 8, you can always add one. If you're playing BF4, Windows 8/8.1 should probably be used for the performance gains alone.

Processor Intel i7-4770k
Case Corsair 750D
Windows 8 has built in virus protection, secure boot and various other advantages that no other Windows has. If your a developer and do not know this then.....well I dunno what to tell ya. Bottom line is Windows 8 runs faster and is in fact more secure than Windows 7.

Virus protection is a joke, if you need it in the first place then it means your OS and software isn't configured correctly and you're doing things on the Internet that you shouldn't be. I have never used Virus protection, it's such a waste of money. Also, Windows 7 has the same smartscreen and anti-malware that windows 8 has, so I'm not sure what you're talking about that it's a unique feature. All they did was update the interface for Windows Defender, but hey.

Windows 8 also does not run faster, it's even more bloated than Windows 7 and Vista. The drivers are still not optimized for a lot of devices even though it's been out for over a year at this point and again, secure is a matter of SETUP, not OS.

I don't understand why people don't get this: How secure an OS is by "default" means exactly jack shit. Windows 8 when set up correctly is no more secure than Windows 7, at best its the same because the underlying Kernel and core OS IS LARGELY THE SAME. They did a major redesign to the UI and control of the OS and put bluntly...it sucks. It's less efficient and is designed more around tablet usage than home PC, which for home productivity is a joke because it's worse than it used to be and I'm not even talking about the start menu.

Lastly, to the other poster talking about 8.1 for BF4: I can tell you right now the newest directx isn't going to make any real world difference in your performance. I'd go so far as to say it isn't even worth benchmarking against Windows 7, but I'd love for someone to go to the trouble of doing it just so I can laugh at all the people who buy into stuff like that. You know what makes a lot bigger difference in gaming performance? Configuring the services and other aspects of your OS that most people don't touch when they install. All that crap that starts up with your computer that you don't actually need...yeah that makes your computer run slower.

Edit: forgot to mention, secure boot is another un-needed piece of fluff that only applies if you don't set your computer up right and get yourself malware that you shouldn't have in the first place. If you get spyware, malware or viruses...it's your own fault. People didn't "hack" you or your computer, you weren't targeted, you didn't something stupid. It's like people who get their WoW accounts stolen and then say "I got hacked". No, you clicked on a questionable forum or email link and entered your account information or got a keylogger that was specifically looking for your WoW info. No one targeted you, you got nailed by a phishing attempt. Oh, and because your computer has to process that stuff when starting the Kernel...it's SLOWER.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Windows 8 also does not run faster, it's even more bloated than Windows 7 and Vista. The drivers are still not optimized for a lot of devices even though it's been out for over a year at this point and again, secure is a matter of SETUP, not OS.

Have you been running Windows 8? My experience seems contrary to yours.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit

He's just clueless. He should probably go look at the benchmarks of Windows 8 vs 7 on BF4. Its not just the new version of DirectX, its the way the whole OS handles DirectX all together.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Battl...als/Battlefield-4-CPU-Test-Windows-8-1091767/

There's a reason Why DICE recommends Windows 8 for BF4 and all the system requirements.

I don't understand why people don't get this: How secure an OS is by "default" means exactly jack shit. Windows 8 when set up correctly is no more secure than Windows 7, at best its the same because the underlying Kernel and core OS IS LARGELY THE SAME. .

Jesus, no. the Kernel and under the hood aspects of 8 were pretty much overhauled.

Processor Intel i7-4770k
Case Corsair 750D

I am no longer running Windows 8, I try all the new OSes when they come out because I have a Microsoft partnership and go through their retail certification program from when I worked in sales. I was not impressed. I have friends and co-workers who run it currently (at work and at home) and their experiences with the current versions mimic mine.

But hey, who knows, maybe it has to do with how I optimize my operating system at home. This topic is getting off track now though, I'm not posting anymore. I was giving the OP my suggestions for hardware, not trying to get into a flame war. I just get frustrated when people imply operating systems are static things like hardware that live in a vacuum and have implicit performance gains/losses. They aren't, and to even imply so is super ignorant.

He's just clueless. He should probably go look at the benchmarks of Windows 8 vs 7 on BF4. Its not just the new version of DirectX, its the way the whole OS handles DirectX all together.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Battl...als/Battlefield-4-CPU-Test-Windows-8-1091767/

http://pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/2013/10/Battlefield_4_Windows_7_vs_8_v2-pcgh.png

There's a reason Why DICE recommends Windows 8 for BF4 and all the system requirements.

One game does not making an operating system better for gaming. Windows 7 beats out Windows 8 in gaming performance in nearly every other title. Go look at the benchmarks on Tom's hardware if you're not familier. I haven't seen the recent BF4 benchmarks, but I'll take a look at them when I get home. I doubt I'll be shocked at what I see though. You're also talking about a game in beta too, wait until the final version comes out and then let's see once drivers have been optimized across the board.

I'd also appreciate if you stop making ridiculous claims like it's the way the whole OS handles directx. If that were true you would see huge performance gains in every game and as countless benchmarks have shown that just isn't the case. Do you even remember Gabe Newell calling Windows 8 a disaster for gaming? Yeah...
Jesus, no. the Kernel and under the hood aspects of 8 were pretty much overhauled.

Please stop. You have literally no idea what you're talking about. The Windows 8 Kernal is pretty much exactly the same as it was in Windows 7. Go google it, read up on some actual developer websites and stop pretending I'm the clueless one. I work as a senior level systems programmer, what do you do exactly? (edit: right, you're a student so you know everything).

I frequent tech sites and developer sites for my job and I'm getting really perturbed with people in here talking as if they are authorities without any actual knowledge at all. As I tried to say in a previous post while this guy was responding to my own, I'm done posting. you've shown that you know very little about operating systems and have completely derailed the thread.

Sorry OP, not what I intended when I made my post.

Edit: Sorry, it's hard for me to edit multiple posts together while I'm not at home. Thanks for consolidating them.

Last edited:

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
One game does not making an operating system better for gaming.

Its just highly unfortunate that the said game is the whole purpose this rig is being built. No point optimising build for 1000 games when the only game you want to play performs worse because of using win7.

Also, don't double/triple post, use edit instead.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Virus protection is a joke, if you need it in the first place then it means your OS and software isn't configured correctly and you're doing things on the Internet that you shouldn't be. I have never used Virus protection, it's such a waste of money. Also, Windows 7 has the same smartscreen and anti-malware that windows 8 has, so I'm not sure what you're talking about that it's a unique feature. All they did was update the interface for Windows Defender, but hey.

I don't understand why people don't get this: How secure an OS is by "default" means exactly jack shit. Windows 8 when set up correctly is no more secure than Windows 7, at best its the same because the underlying Kernel and core OS IS LARGELY THE SAME. They did a major redesign to the UI and control of the OS and put bluntly...it sucks. It's less efficient and is designed more around tablet usage than home PC, which for home productivity is a joke because it's worse than it used to be and I'm not even talking about the start menu.

Lastly, to the other poster talking about 8.1 for BF4: I can tell you right now the newest directx isn't going to make any real world difference in your performance. I'd go so far as to say it isn't even worth benchmarking against Windows 7, but I'd love for someone to go to the trouble of doing it just so I can laugh at all the people who buy into stuff like that. You know what makes a lot bigger difference in gaming performance? Configuring the services and other aspects of your OS that most people don't touch when they install. All that crap that starts up with your computer that you don't actually need...yeah that makes your computer run slower.

Edit: forgot to mention, secure boot is another un-needed piece of fluff that only applies if you don't set your computer up right and get yourself malware that you shouldn't have in the first place. If you get spyware, malware or viruses...it's your own fault. People didn't "hack" you or your computer, you weren't targeted, you didn't something stupid. It's like people who get their WoW accounts stolen and then say "I got hacked". No, you clicked on a questionable forum or email link and entered your account information or got a keylogger that was specifically looking for your WoW info. No one targeted you, you got nailed by a phishing attempt. Oh, and because your computer has to process that stuff when starting the Kernel...it's SLOWER.
There are so many holes in your statement I dunno even where to begin. However I'm glad to hear you have no virus protection. Magic Johnson didn't have AIDS either....until he was tested.

System Name ChaoticG8R / Lil'G8R
Processor Intel i7-970 / Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X58 / ASUS ROG Impact VII Z97
Cooling Swiftech H220 AIO / Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
Memory Mushkin Enh. Radioactive 3x4GB DDR3 1600 / Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR3 2133
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 680 4GB / Zotac AMP! GTX 980
Storage 240GB Crucial M500 + RAID1 2x2TB WD BlackCaviar / Raid0 3x256 GB Crucial MX100 + 2TB WD BlackCaviar
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 @ 120hz + 2x Sceptre 20"
Case Cooler Master Storm Sniper Black Edition / Thermaltake Core V1
Power Supply BFG LS1200 1250W / Corsair AX860i 860W
Mouse ROCCAT Kone XTD
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Benchmark Scores Runs daily @ 4.5Ghz; Runs stable @ 4.8Ghz; Max OC on air: 5.0Ghz
However I'm glad to hear you have no virus protection. Magic Johnson didn't have AIDS either....until he was tested.

And that is why I would use Windows 8 for this BF4 build as well...

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670

You clearly have no idea what youre talking about and it's best if you just keep this shit to yourself as youre not helping anywhere here. Best youre doing is giving us a good laugh at your own expense.

As for the WoW account stuff you were talking about. Back when Cataclysm was released, I took my authenticator off of my account because the lag was so bad that it would crash people and at the time you had to input the authenticator every time you logged in. Unlike now where you can put it in once a month and forget about it. Anyway, I was hacked on day 1 and all of my gold stolen from me and I dont fall for any of that phishing crap nor do I open false emails from blizzard. In fact, I never get an email from Blizzard unless I specifically open a ticket because I have an issue I need help with. And then they contact me in game.

So I see a hole in your theory.

System Name Poor Man's Build
Processor Intel i7 3960X 4.9Ghz Sandy Bridge E
Motherboard MSi X79A-GD65 8D
Cooling XSPC 240mm and 360MM (External) Rad
Memory 64Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX770 SC ACX SLI (non water cooled yet)
Storage Intel 520 240GB SSD x2 /x2 WD Caviar Black 3TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache
Display(s) ASUS 27" 2560X1440 x3
Case Corsair 900D (upgraded from my lvl 10 gt and 600T)
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i 80PLUS Platinum
Software Windows 7 Ultimate (FPP)
I would say go for win 8,

and if he wants it now just grab a 780 should be powerful enough for some time unless gaming technology sky rocket where you need a minimum of 1000tb video memory to play on low settings.

about the psu I think it's fine although I'd always recommend seasonic 80plus gold.

Processor Intel i7-4770k
Case Corsair 750D
You clearly have no idea what youre talking about and it's best if you just keep this shit to yourself as youre not helping anywhere here. Best youre doing is giving us a good laugh at your own expense.

As for the WoW account stuff you were talking about. Back when Cataclysm was released, I took my authenticator off of my account because the lag was so bad that it would crash people and at the time you had to input the authenticator every time you logged in. Unlike now where you can put it in once a month and forget about it. Anyway, I was hacked on day 1 and all of my gold stolen from me and I dont fall for any of that phishing crap nor do I open false emails from blizzard. In fact, I never get an email from Blizzard unless I specifically open a ticket because I have an issue I need help with. And then they contact me in game.

So I see a hole in your theory.

Sorry, but you don't just get "hacked". You say that you don't fall for any of that phishing crap or open false emails, but you obviously had 1) malware, 2) a keylogger, 3) shared your account information or 4) visited a page you shouldn't have. It doesn't have to be a page you enter information, it doesn't have to be a link you click on, it doesn't have to be an email, you can just go to a forum page or a website without having your browser settings and plugin settings configured properly. Maybe you ran an ActiveX control that wasn't legit.

The fact of the matter is this: In order to be hacked, YOU had to do something wrong. No one sought out your IP, determined you were a WoW player, compromised your system and stole your WoW info and then snooped you to determine you removed the authenticator and stole your account. Do you see how retarded that sounds? Who in the heck would waste their time doing that and not just steal your identity, open a bevy of credit cards and drain your bank account? No, you did something I mentioned above, knowingly or unknowingly and they got your information. Or you got your email on a list and use a weak password and just plain got brute forced (which WoW "hackers" do constantly) which is why you got hacked the day you removed your authenticator.

The fact is still that most users don't properly configure their security settings in Windows, they don't disable abusable services and they don't set up their browsers the way they should either. Hell, most people don't even stay up to date on their Windows Updates. As I said, anti-virus is worthless. It's not preventative, it's reactive. It relies on being able to catch a virus as it enters your system and rejecting it, not preventing it from getting into your system in the first place. The real dangerous viruses are the zero day ones that you aren't protected from in the first place because the virus protection companies don't have them in their software yet.

So again, I'm a senior level systems programmer. I work on a government contract, I have Information Awareness certifications and I'm required for my job to have security training. In fact I just renewed my yearly information awareness certification yesterday. Trust me when I say you're clueless and have no idea what you're talking about and just shut up. I learned my lesson about viruses the hard way a very, very long time ago and now the first thing I do after I do a clean format and update windows is configure my system for security. After that nothing will protect you if you go to websites where you don't know about or understand the security risk. The Internet is NOT a safe place, you can't just go wherever you want and read whatever you want. But hey, if you want to think the crappy virus protection baked into Windows 8 is amazing and makes you safe...keep on thinking that.

Edit: Let me make it even more plain for you. Virus protection can only protect you from unauthorized access to your system by known security issues. In other words, it can't protect you from yourself. Even if you run virus protection, if you do not have your OS and browser security set up properly you are GIVING PERMISSION to viruses and malware to access your system. Only the "dumbest" malware will be caught on its own at default browser and virus protection. So yeah, I stand by my statement that virus protection is worthless. It's a complete scam by an industry kept alive because most consumers are too stupid/lazy to educate themselves on how to keep their computers and information safe on their own.

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Sorry, but you don't just get "hacked". You say that you don't fall for any of that phishing crap or open false emails, but you obviously had 1) malware, 2) a keylogger, 3) shared your account information or 4) visited a page you shouldn't have. It doesn't have to be a page you enter information, it doesn't have to be a link you click on, it doesn't have to be an email, you can just go to a forum page or a website without having your browser settings and plugin settings configured properly. Maybe you ran an ActiveX control that wasn't legit.

The fact of the matter is this: In order to be hacked, YOU had to do something wrong. No one sought out your IP, determined you were a WoW player, compromised your system and stole your WoW info and then snooped you to determine you removed the authenticator and stole your account. Do you see how retarded that sounds? Who in the heck would waste their time doing that and not just steal your identity, open a bevy of credit cards and drain your bank account? No, you did something I mentioned above, knowingly or unknowingly and they got your information. Or you got your email on a list and use a weak password and just plain got brute forced (which WoW "hackers" do constantly) which is why you got hacked the day you removed your authenticator.

The fact is still that most users don't properly configure their security settings in Windows, they don't disable abusable services and they don't set up their browsers the way they should either. Hell, most people don't even stay up to date on their Windows Updates. As I said, anti-virus is worthless. It's not preventative, it's reactive. It relies on being able to catch a virus as it enters your system and rejecting it, not preventing it from getting into your system in the first place. The real dangerous viruses are the zero day ones that you aren't protected from in the first place because the virus protection companies don't have them in their software yet.

So again, I'm a senior level systems programmer. I work on a government contract, I have Information Awareness certifications and I'm required for my job to have security training. In fact I just renewed my yearly information awareness certification yesterday. Trust me when I say you're clueless and have no idea what you're talking about and just shut up. I learned my lesson about viruses the hard way a very, very long time ago and now the first thing I do after I do a clean format and update windows is configure my system for security. After that nothing will protect you if you go to websites where you don't know about or understand the security risk. The Internet is NOT a safe place, you can't just go wherever you want and read whatever you want. But hey, if you want to think the crappy virus protection baked into Windows 8 is amazing and makes you safe...keep on thinking that.

Edit: Let me make it even more plain for you. Virus protection can only protect you from unauthorized access to your system by known security issues. In other words, it can't protect you from yourself. Even if you run virus protection, if you do not have your OS and browser security set up properly you are GIVING PERMISSION to viruses and malware to access your system. Only the "dumbest" malware will be caught on its own at default browser and virus protection. So yeah, I stand by my statement that virus protection is worthless. It's a complete scam by an industry kept alive because most consumers are too stupid/lazy to educate themselves on how to keep their computers and information safe on their own.

So you must have java, flash, cookies, ActiveX and everything turned off and visit what like 3 websites? Honestly man your just embarrassing yourself. Stop it.

This thread is about a man who wants a BF4 gaming rig. The FACT IS BF4 RUNS BETTER IN WINDOWS 8 THAN 7. Sorry but your cuddly love with the past and your lack of understanding the future isn't gonna change that. Also your a programmer?!?! OMG I'm an Astronaut! We should so do lunch and talk about all the playmates we bang nightly.

Processor Intel i7-4770k
Case Corsair 750D
So you must have java, flash, cookies, ActiveX and everything turned off and visit what like 3 websites? Honestly man your just embarrassing yourself. Stop it.

This thread is about a man who wants a BF4 gaming rig. The FACT IS BF4 RUNS BETTER IN WINDOWS 8 THAN 7. Sorry but your cuddly love with the past and your lack of understanding the future isn't gonna change that. Also your a programmer?!?! OMG I'm an Astronaut! We should so do lunch and talk about all the playmates we bang nightly.

I'm embarrassing myself? I already apologized to the OP because you guys keep attacking me without offering a shred of reasoning behind your opinion, but *I'm* embarrassing myself. LOL. This isn't even worth discussing with people like you because you have an irrational need to be right and you refuse to even consider the possibility that you're wrong. It's honestly sad. I've given numerous reasons why I'm right, I've offered information about my job which I probably shouldn't and the best any of you have offered is (paraphrased): "stop, you're dumb and you're wrong". Take your own advice. Stop it.

I gave my recommendation about the computer, I've stated my opinions about Windows 8, and I stand by them. The real world difference in a BETA is not the same as the real world difference when a final product launches and drivers are optimized. Windows 8 is not suddenly going to become an amazing gaming product because of a minor update and a single game. I'm sorry, it's not. On the productivity front Windows 8 is a complete joke, which I'll note now is why it hasn't been widely adopted by enterprise and there hasn't been a push to it by the government yet (thankfully).

Now, I'm deleting my subscriptions and I'm not coming back. You have all shown your ignorance in your responses and I don't appreciate being dragged into flame wars like this but for some reason I always feel the need to explain my reasoning in detail out of some naive hope that ignorant people will open their eyes and learn something.

Again, I apologize OP, I never intended for my post or my recommendations to be taken as a personal attack. If you want further information please feel free to contact me directly through PM and I'd be happy to help.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
I'm embarrassing myself? I already apologized to the OP because you guys keep attacking me without offering a shred of reasoning behind your opinion, but *I'm* embarrassing myself. LOL. This isn't even worth discussing with people like you because you have an irrational need to be right and you refuse to even consider the possibility that you're wrong. It's honestly sad. I've given numerous reasons why I'm right, I've offered information about my job which I probably shouldn't and the best any of you have offered is (paraphrased): "stop, you're dumb and you're wrong". Take your own advice. Stop it.

I gave my recommendation about the computer, I've stated my opinions about Windows 8, and I stand by them. The real world difference in a BETA is not the same as the real world difference when a final product launches and drivers are optimized. Windows 8 is not suddenly going to become an amazing gaming product because of a minor update and a single game. I'm sorry, it's not. On the productivity front Windows 8 is a complete joke, which I'll note now is why it hasn't been widely adopted by enterprise and there hasn't been a push to it by the government yet (thankfully).

Now, I'm deleting my subscriptions and I'm not coming back. You have all shown your ignorance in your responses and I don't appreciate being dragged into flame wars like this but for some reason I always feel the need to explain my reasoning in detail out of some naive hope that ignorant people will open their eyes and learn something.

Again, I apologize OP, I never intended for my post or my recommendations to be taken as a personal attack. If you want further information please feel free to contact me directly through PM and I'd be happy to help.

Buh bye.

Anyway OP just remember DICE is the one who recommends Windows 8 for BF4. There is a reason for that beyond what our "Government programmer" here thinks. After all a government programmer set up the affordable healthcare website too......and we all see how awesome it is. :laugh:

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Buh bye.

Anyway OP just remember DICE is the one who recommends Windows 8 for BF4. There is a reason for that beyond what our "Government programmer" here thinks. After all a government programmer set up the affordable healthcare website too......and we all see how awesome it is. :laugh:

To be fair, Dice didn't recommend Windows 8 exclusively. They just merely stated it was supported too and recommended it over Windows Vista.

Oddly enough they didn't mention Windows 7.

IMO, I haven't used Windows 8 personally and I'm sure there is enough features and goodies to justify it over Windows 7, but I certainly won't be making the switch for 5 FPS extra in BF4. Only when I feel there is enough value that I need today I will make the switch.

Aithos, if you don't feel the threat of computer Viruses, Spyware, Adware and Malware is a serious you are a complete ignorant fool.

I've always wondered, why do people think they need to upgrade as soon as the new Battlefields come out? Would it not be better to wait to see if your current hardware can hadle it before dumping $1,600 on a new build you might not even need?

100% agree. That was my first response. I believe its for the OPs friend whom is running a core 2 quad.

Last edited:
System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
I've always wondered, why do people think they need to upgrade as soon as the new Battlefields come out? Would it not be better to wait to see if your current hardware can hadle it before dumping $1,600 on a new build you might not even need?

Discussing byzantine issues like a Byzantine.

We will never see the "improvement" we got when adding 64 more megabytes to our RAM in the late nineties. No game, no OS, no hardware today -since long- is worth a "WOOOOW look at this mate".

Evolution today means: multiplatform, low energy footprint, small size, modularity, ease of mantainence, etc. No Copernican changes in performance or unseen 3D beauty.