• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BFG 680i rev C00 and Q6600 Problem, Last Hope!

L-MoS

Well I've finally decided to post on this, After random moments of obsession trying to get this working over the past couple months, I finally gave up and put in my E6850 again, I've done tons of research/reading I know EVGA for instance offers a new revision "T1 or A1 I think" thru an RMA, But BFG does not... I am stuck with C00.

I replaced 2 filter caps on my board and took care of the Vcore and Vdoop so far but obviously that did not help. I've tried countless combination of memory timings, lowering the multiplier, voltages, everything, and no matter what, I cannot get past about 2.65ghz I know many others have experienced this problem with this same rev and found out soon that I wasted my time with all those timing and voltages I was trying, So I've yet to see a fix for us poor BFG owners. But if there is anything I've missed i'm hoping someone here can tell me what that is, I think i'm just screwed tho.

What I have gathered so far, "I've been to just about every Tech forum about this" is that the new EVGA rev that fixes this, has something to do with the MOSFETS on the vregs, If i could just find the part numbers or a list of what is replaced so I don't miss any resistors then I could simply order it from work, I am an engeering technician so with the right info I can fix this. "Called EVGA and BFG either will send me schematics or a part list of things changed in the rev"

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the Novel

Last edited:

boogah

System Name Core i7 WS
Processor i7 920 D0 @ 4.2 GHz
Motherboard ASUS P6T WS Professional
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme RT1366
Memory 6gb 3x2gb Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) Firepro V8700
Storage Velociraptor 300gb in raid0
Display(s) 2x Dell Ultrasharp 24"
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) onboard sound
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software Windows 7 64-bit
have you flashed the bios with Nvidia EVGA or the XFX version? i think zotac also have the same board.

L-MoS

No I haven't tried that yet because I was worried about hosing the bios... I just imagine it not working, Then the computer doesn't post and I cant re flash it! I was convinced it was a hardware problem considering it takes a new board rev to fix this problem from EVGA XFX ect.

boogah

System Name Core i7 WS
what is the problem you are having anyways ?

L-MoS

Didn't catch that huh? The problem I am having is that the BFG 680i rev c00 I have will not overclock quad cores worth a damn, My Q6600 will not go beyond 2.65ghz. This is a known issue that BFG has not addressed, Other companies like EVGA though have taken care of it with the newer A1 Rev. I was posting this to see if anyone had information concerning this fix and hopefully I could replace the components myself. Basically whatever is different from the A1 rev vs C00.

System Name 0BL1V10N
Processor Intel Core i7 11700K @ 5.1GHz all-core turbo
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Taichi
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid 360 (with stock CM fans), 12x Pccooler Moonlight Series ARGB 120mm fans
Memory (4x16GB) 64GB Mushkin Redline Lumina 3600MHz 16-19-19-39 XMP
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID 24G (not using stock fans) (+150MHz core, +1000MHz memory)
Storage Western Digital Black SN850X 2TB Gen4 NVMe
Display(s) 1x Alienware AW3821DW (3840x1600@144Hz), 2x Dell SE2717H (1080p@75Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo 719 Anthracite Grey
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modius + Drop THX AAA 789 + Custom Planar Magnetic Headphones
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1200W (12VHPWR)
Mouse Logitech G502 X Plus
Keyboard Too many custom mechanical builds to list...
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Why not sell it and ur dual chip and get a better mobo?

L-MoS

The E6850 is borrowed from my father, So I would only have the 680i to sell, Then spend an extra 100 bucks to get the other board and reinstall my OS of course. A lot of shit I don't want to do for a performance increase of this degree. But yes I have considered it and not more for the quad problem but because I have an SLi board and I wanted to run my 4870 on crossfire... I have another 4870 just sitting in my drawer... But I decided to wait for the Lucid Hydra 100 instead. It's everything crossfire/Sli should of been and not limited by your motherboard or performance bound by driver profiles.
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=3379 check it out if you haven't already.

So with that said, It doesn't look like anyone knows a fix for this. I could only imagine buying a 680i rev A1 from EVGA and return the BFG C00 rev version for a refund. If i could get away with that... But it worked for my 2nd 4870. I just bought the first one... put my 2900 XT in the box and returned it to best buy for exchange and got another 4870. "didnt want anyone wondering why I would "buy" 2 4870's and only use 1" But for the motherboard I would have to ship back to newegg or something and they might give it a better looking over... At least with the video card scheme if they noticed I could just say oops I brought back the wrong one and no money lost. But I might get stuck with 2 mobo's and the best I could do is sell one for half the money back... LOL Watch my thread get deleted for mentioning this now... SO anyway... I could also go thru the diligent process of finding out what components are different between the 2 and just replace those. I knew this was a long shot but thought I would try before finally giving up.

boogah

System Name Core i7 WS
that called fraud you know.....

Anyways

I bought a BFG 680i to tinker with yesterday and it did have the problem with the Q6600 G0. I flashed the latest bios P32 from BFG site. now running 3.8 ghz no prob.

The problem was fixed in P31 bios. So the P32 has the fix + more CPU support
I used their bootable ISO file >> http://www.bfgtech.com//CMDocs/BFGTech/BFG_680i-P32.iso.zip

http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgrinf680is.aspx click the support in grey.

BFGRNFI680iS BIOS Update
Version: P31
Posting Date: 10/04/2007
File Size: 444KB
Resolves issues with G0 stepping CPU’s and improves 1333MHz FSB Core 2 Quad and Duo stability and overclocking.

L-MoS

Hey I have a bachelor's degree in Engineering, not Law! Besides like I said.... I would just say oops I stuck the wrong card in the box. ANYHOW! You have a newer rev board I suppose. That is very odd though because they told me that they do not have a newer rev, And there are many others with this same problem and believe me I have tried everything! Including the bios updates of course. What rev is this 680i? C00? If it is T1 or A1, Then that would explain your success... If you have a c00 tho... That would be very interesting. Well any rev other than c00 and BFG would have lied to me.

boogah

System Name Core i7 WS
believe me I have tried everything! Including the bios updates of course. QUOTE]

No I haven't tried that yet because I was worried about hosing the bios... I just imagine it not working, Then the computer doesn't post and I cant re flash it! I was convinced it was a hardware problem considering it takes a new board rev to fix this problem from EVGA XFX ect.

interesting.

My board is an A2 by the way, it came with P30 bios on it. It wouldn't overclock the Q6600 G0 above stock speed of 2.4 no matter how much voltage. So the problem still persist with the A2 revision. After 15+ years experience in HW/SW i've tend to check the software first before the hardware unless i see something obvious like a blown capacitor. In which case of a blown capacitor it would be time for an RMA before voiding the warranty by self repair.

but yah just pointing out that the hardware revision did not fix the problem.. the bios revision fixed it.

L-MoS

Yea those are the common rules of troubleshooting and isolating the problem... Anyhow yes this is another known issue. Yes the A2 rev does fix this problem :) The bios upgrade is also nessasry to overclock at all. Basically A2 rev+P30 or earlier bios ans you will not get anywhere. C00+P32 or any bios for that matter and you still will not get anywhere. Well C00 with the older Bios, I cannot OC either, But with the P32 I can then reach 2.65.

But this is interesting, Are you sure that this motherboard is an A2? It REALLY pisses me off that 3 idiots from tech support told me the c00 was the only rev. "i have yet to speak to anyone at tech support that even know's Ohm's Law ffs" so I would'nt put it past them to tell me there is no new revision when there is.

Thanks for info, Im calling to raise hell now

boogah

System Name Core i7 WS

Attachments

• BFGrev2.jpg
    BFGrev2.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCN0901_resize.jpg
    DSCN0901_resize.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 3.40GHz (400x8.5)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.1
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Memory 2x Crucial Ballistix DDR2 2GB 4:5 @ 500MHz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 560Ti 1GB TOP Edition
Storage Crucial M4 128GB SSD + WD Black 500GB WD5001AALS
Display(s) Samsung P2370HD @ 1920x1080 60Hz
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24-bit w/ Creative Inspire T6060 5.1 200W
Power Supply CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 600w
Software Windows 7 Professional Edition SP1 64-bit
If i could get away with that... But it worked for my 2nd 4870. I just bought the first one... put my 2900 XT in the box and returned it to best buy for exchange and got another 4870. "didnt want anyone wondering why I would "buy" 2 4870's and only use 1"

that is just brilliant :toast:

L-MoS

Well thanks to you my problem will be solved...

I called BFG back and they said this A2 rev just came out last week and the person I spoke too was the nightshift and they tend to be out of the loop, SO i woulda given up had it not been for you and not tried again till god knows when, So i threw them my credit card number... Got advanced RMA so I dont have to send my board out and go without a pc and all is going to be well! Thanks man

L-MoS

that is just brilliant :toast:

Yea man you know whats funny, the guy took it out of the box and even dropped it on the ground. they dont have a clue in CS. I thought about actually replacing the 2 slot cooler cause they were about the same size, but figured that would be worse if they noticed then cause I couldnt say that i accidently put the wrong card in the box, that woulda been too obvious that im trying to pull one over on them... So i kept it on. It works like a charm. Try it :)

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
You do know that if a store wants to prosecute for Retail Fraud they will? You can't tell a judge "Opps, I put the wrong one in the box". It doesn't work, you can ask a couple of my friends who are probation right now because of this. Even if you don't get caught its pretty sleazy. Perhaps you are having a "Karma" problem with your MB?

Most stores check serial numbers anyway since they are on video cards and motherboards as well as the boxes.

L-MoS

Haha that's nice... And I find it hard to believe that you have friend(s) who all ended up on probation for this. Does the superstitious idiot's rule book on Karma also apply to liars and story tellers? *jerking off motion* next