• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BFG Geforce 6800GS Problems

abell255

Hey guys....new to this forum. I've been having problems with my new AGP card, and this forum looked like i'd get some good replies. Thanks for all of your help in advance.

System:
Windows XP pro
gig of pc 3200 ram
Sounblaster live 5.1
AMD Athlon 64 2800+
raidmax gaming case ( 450w psu )
WD 80, WD 40 gb hdd's
BFG Geforce 6800GS

I recently bought this card from newegg and i installed it with the drivers on the cd it came with. After that i tried to play Battlefield 2 that i had recently installed with my old card, Geforce 4Ti4200 and it obviously didn't run with that. All was going well until the game actually loaded the map and i was in it, and their was artifacts all over the place, i could see through things, i couldn't see cars or people, or the ground, etc.

I thought maybe the drivers were bad....so i unistalled them, the 8.2.1.2 i believe? Anyhow, the drivers i have now are the 8.3.4.0 and everything is fine until i get into maps in games. It does the same thing.....horrible artifact stuff that's not supposed to be there. The things that i do see, however, are great in detail which to me shows that it can run the game.
So then, i tried to run Red Faction 2, which isn't that graphic-demanding compared to BF2. The game ran GREAT with my gf4ti4200 card, and now, i get the same thing as in BF2. Garbage all over the place and i don't see some things.

I'm not sure if i should RMA the card to newegg because it's faulty...or if it's a setting? I tried absolutely ALL modes in BF2 and none of them changed anything. Same with the settings for my OS, changing refresh rates, resolution, etc. Nothing.....

I'm extremely dissatisfied and discouraged as i just spent a good amount of money and i can't play any games... Help me please! I'm pretty sure i have the newest drivers available for the GS card.....

Thanks ALOT guys.
-Austin

spectre440

Processor Athlon 64 x2 4000+ (65nm Brisbane)
Motherboard Abit AN-M2 (AM2) nForce 630a
Cooling Stock everything (for the time being), 2x120mm fans (intake & exhaust)
Memory 2GB (2x1024) OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 (4-4-4-15, 2T)
Video Card(s) PowerColor ATI HD 2600XT 256mb GDDR4 PCI-e
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 160GB SATA 3.0G/s, External USB2.0 WD 160GB
Display(s) LG 17' LCD (L1753TR)
Case HEC-Compucase 6A, black & grey
Audio Device(s) On-Board 7.1 (realtek)
Power Supply Spire Zeno 650W
Software WinXP Pro SP2 (32-bit, for the time being)
1)did you plug in the card's power supply? cause the newer cards require a direct feed of power straight from the PSU. (you probably have and im just pissing you off with this question, but its worth to ask if you haven't.)

2)did you open the extra quad and/or vertex unit, or are you running it in the original configuration of 12 pipes and 5 vertex units?

3)try to uninstall the drivers again, and then use driver cleaner to mop up, cause sometimes when you replace bits of hardware and uninstall the drivers some peices of the old drivers still hang around in certin places in the system (like registry entries, and stuff like that...).

then reinstall the newest drivers you can get offa the NV website.

if none that dosent works... well then you really have me stumped...

Processor X5470 @ 4.1
Motherboard Asus P5Q pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 6GB corsair 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 6970
Display(s) 34" ultrawide
Case antec 700
Power Supply Corsiar 750 watt
Mouse Razer Taipan
Keyboard Razer Arctosa
Software Win 8.1 64 bit
If you didn't open an extra quad or alter the bios then it may just be a bad card. What do the artifacts look like? If they are black use ATI tool (or whatever you prefer for nvidia) and underclock the memory. If you are getting odd shapes/distortions underclock the core. Raidmax is not a good power supply so if that is what you are using then the card may not be getting enough power and won’t handle stock speeds. If the problem is only in BF2 then make sure your drivers are not forcing settings like AA or AF higher than the game will allow. I tried this with my X850 and got tearing and massive distortions because the game engine won’t handle it. Since that experience I have my control panel settings to “let the application decide”.

abell255

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811156175

That's the case i have, and i'm using the stock PSU. The PSU should be quite fine for my setup.....i don't see it not getting enough power being a problem....? Yes, the PSU is plugged into the card directly, lol.

It's a fresh install of windows, but yes, i did have my ti4200 on it before. I clearly unistalled the drivers.... should i download a program that can double check? If so, got a link? I had a problem like this with my old geforce fx5200 in my old system on Vice City, same stuff. I couldn't see the cars, or the sky, and their would be random shapes all over. I think it'd be odd to have 2 faulty cards, different ones, in a year....I just downloaded Rivatuner and am looking around in it. It states the the card is "256-bit NV40(A1,12x1,5vp) with 256mb DDr3". Right now the temp is steady at 56-57degrees. What's next... does this mean the card isn't faulty? The memory clocks are also at: Core=371.25mhz, 1053mhs effective, and reference clock at 27mhz.

Yeah, i've tried all settings, with AA off, etc. I haven't unlocked anything, or tried to OC it more either. Maybe i should RMA it....but i just feel odd because an old card i had had the same issues. ( 100% different setup, other then SB live sound card ).

spectre440

well, you certinally have me stumped...

try taking the card to a friend of yours and using it on a completley different platform that you know is good.

if the problem still persists, then i have no other idea what could it be other than a bad card...
and yes, it is very very odd to get two bad cards in one year...
but then again, you could just be very very unlucky.

and if you need to find driver cleaner just google it. google is your friend. :)
also try looking in some other forums (like those in guru3d.com or anandtech) and see if anyone else had this issue, asking the same question in several different places never hurts.

sorry i couldn't be of any more assitance. :(

abell255

I don't have many friends that have their own built pcs that'd be willing to let me test it out on. Therefor, i can't try that method. I installed the Reforce thing to fix winXP's refresh rate issue and now whenver i tried to even start BF2, it says "battlefield 2" then quits, and doesn't load. Now if i "restore settings to normal" in reforce, it trys to load, and then says this:
mods/bf2/shaders/staticmesh.fx not found!!! _DO_check your working directory, _AND_ sync your shaders folder before calling upon your local programmer/GP. (really!)

I don't know what that means, but that is word for word. I downloaded driver cleaner as well...and i suppose i'll try that soon if nobody has any other ideas....
( by the way, i thought i'd also let you know that the other day when i was troubleshooting this same thing, i unistalled the card, for probably the 3rd time with another set of drivers, and when i re-booted, the screen was black. NOTHING. the only way i could see anything starting up was to insert the winxp cd and repair. i tried using onboard video, and the SAME thing happened. i took the card out, and still, nothing. Tried changing BIOS settings as well.....so i had to repair windows, and the geforce 4ti4200 card was on the windows before that, but the whole install was less then a week ago. )

I hate this pos card.

abell255

Also, a guy on another forum said this:

"14A on the +12V rail is to low in my opinion. Have seen 350W PSUs with more than that."

Think this would cause horrible affects in games? Even red faction 2....?

JC316

Knows what makes you tick
System Name Budget Gaming
Processor AMD FX6300
Motherboard Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
Audio Device(s) Stock onboard
Power Supply FSP Aurum Gold 650W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Make sure that it is set to AGP 8x and the AGP arpeture size is at 256MB in your computers bios. If that dosen't work, I would send it back and get another one.

abell255

JC316 said:
Make sure that it is set to AGP 8x and the AGP arpeture size is at 256MB in your computers bios. If that dosen't work, I would send it back and get another one.

OMG. Since i've reinstalled everything so many times, i forgot to change this...it was at 128...now it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BF2 is SICK!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH....i know it was a dumb mistake, but it's working now! I seriously love you.....lol.

Last edited:

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
Well we in Austria say:

at times you can't see the tree because of the whole forest in front of you...

:) cheers
DS

abell255

Ok....i lied. Well....for the first 5 minutes of gaming it's fine.. then i notice things like i can't see my own gun...then i can't see a few other things, then it all goes to hell and can't see the ground.....I had the settings on high, 1024x768 and it did the same thing as the settings of on medium on 800x600.....this is gay. Plus, when i start bf2 up, it says some problem with the shader file something, and so it quits, then i start it up again and it works....ideas?

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
how does it run something like 3Dmark2005 if it runs that your hardware must be okay..

also do u have any idea how hot its running.. ???

trog

abell255

sorry...what is that? and how to i run that?

The temps stay around 56c....

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
That kind of problem doesn't sound like an AGP aperture size problem, I think some pipelines in your card are broken, are you sure you haven't unlocked any vertex/pixel pipelines? cause if you haven't, you should RMA that card ASAP.
Me and a friend of mine bought exactly the same card, and we use the same drivers, but he couldn't enable the pixel pipelines on his card, because he got artifacts on BF2 and AOE3 after trying to enable the pipelines with Rivatuner, so we simply disabled the broken pipelines and it worked like a charm for him (luckily I didn't have the same problem)

Last edited:

abell255

Rivatuner says that it's at 12 pipes, and that i haven't unlocked anything.

Yeah, it's weird because i could tell when the settings were high that it was running fine and flawless...then i get on a plane, fly for a few minutes, and the mountains will turn pink. The players will turn blue. The cars will look like legos, white, green, blue. It does this on every and all settings.... For the first few minutes....it is perfect.

abell255

So i just unlocked 4 more pipelines to see if that'd do anything...so now it reads (16x1,6vp). I got into Bf2 and it was terrible...obviously didn't help. This time everything was flickering and spots all over the place. So, i'll lock those back up, but still having problems.....is their a way i can tell for sure if the pipes are working? It shows the "enabled" pipes in the custom of graphics processor config under "low-level settings". Not sure if that can tell me anything or not....

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
abell255 said:
So i just unlocked 4 more pipelines to see if that'd do anything...so now it reads (16x1,6vp). I got into Bf2 and it was terrible...obviously didn't help. This time everything was flickering and spots all over the place. So, i'll lock those back up, but still having problems.....is their a way i can tell for sure if the pipes are working? It shows the "enabled" pipes in the custom of graphics processor config under "low-level settings". Not sure if that can tell me anything or not....

Well, here's a couple of things you should do before you RMA that card:

*You sure you completely uninstalled your previous card's drivers? try uninstalling using driver cleaner, and use the "cab cleaner" option, so you get a clean installation of your current drivers.
* Open your case and check if your card is correctly set on the AGP slot, also, carefuly check that the molex connector is firmly connected to the card.
* How many Amps can your PSU handle on the V12+ line? It should be able to handle at least 18 Amps.
* You should definitely try that card on another PC, just to make sure your AGP slot or mobo wasn't damaged during installation.

If none of these suggestions work, I'm sorry but you most probably got a defective card, you shouldn't have any problems if you RMA it, once I had to RMA an HDD to Newegg, and got a new one in less than two weeks. Good luck :)

abell255

15th Warlock said:
Well, here's a couple of things you should do before you RMA that card:

*You sure you completely uninstalled your previous card's drivers? try uninstalling using driver cleaner, and use the "cab cleaner" option, so you get a clean installation of your current drivers.
* Open your case and check if your card is correctly set on the AGP slot, also, carefuly check that the molex connector is firmly connected to the card.
* How many Amps can your PSU handle on the V12+ line? It should be able to handle at least 18 Amps.
* You should definitely try that card on another PC, just to make sure your AGP slot or mobo wasn't damaged during installation.

If none of these suggestions work, I'm sorry but you most probably got a defective card, you shouldn't have any problems if you RMA it, once I had to RMA an HDD to Newegg, and got a new one in less than two weeks. Good luck :)

Yes, i'm sure i completely unistalled my previous drivers. I searched for some fails to make sure, found nothing. I downloaded driver cleaner, but found nothing. The card is for sure in the AGP slot correctly, along with the psu 4-pin. My PSU 12v+ rails are 14 Amps...would that cause these horrible affects in bf2? Also, i thought if one is able to unlock more piplines, it shouldn't affect performance at all? Well...like i said, when i got in the game right away, it looked like a checkers board with flashing black sqaures all over...I don't think i can keep the card long enough to order a PSU and double-check to see if that's the issue...

Anjelous

Processor Pentium D 955 Extreme Edition(ES)@ 4Ghz
Motherboard Asus P5WD2-Premium
Cooling Zalman 9500
Memory 1GB ( 2x512)Kingston Valueram@ 310Mhz 1:1
Video Card(s) 6800GS@ 500/1200
Storage 1 120GB WD SATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 997DF 19" Flatscreen CRT
Case Coolermaster Wavemaster Limited Edition Blue
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 600W OCZ Powerstream
Software Win XP Pro
abell255 said:

How did you unlock the pipelines? i have been wondering if its possible or do you have a AGP? I have a PCIE and i am wondering if i can unlock the pipes on my card or not.

abell255

Ok...i'm tired of troubleshooting, and i'm not buying a psu until i know for sure it's not the card. So i've sent for an RMA number via newegg, and i'll be getting a new card in a week-2 weeks. If that doesn't help things....oh well, i'm out 7$ to ship, and some time, which is ok. Then, i'll upgrade to a nice thermaltake psu with 18amp 12v+rails minumum, then i don't know.

Thanks for your guys help though.

abell255

Anjelous said:
How did you unlock the pipelines? i have been wondering if its possible or do you have a AGP? I have a PCIE and i am wondering if i can unlock the pipes on my card or not.

Rivatuner, not sure, it's always iffy.

Anjelous

Processor Pentium D 955 Extreme Edition(ES)@ 4Ghz
Motherboard Asus P5WD2-Premium
Cooling Zalman 9500
Memory 1GB ( 2x512)Kingston Valueram@ 310Mhz 1:1
Video Card(s) 6800GS@ 500/1200
Storage 1 120GB WD SATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 997DF 19" Flatscreen CRT
Case Coolermaster Wavemaster Limited Edition Blue
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 600W OCZ Powerstream
Software Win XP Pro
Oh after much looking around i came to the conclusion that its only the AGP version that can be flashed to 16 pipes, oh well not like its a slouch anyways, need to get a NV silencer and get these clocks higher hehe.

spectre440

Anjelous said:

you can unlock the extra quad and vertex unit in the AGP version with rivatuner, since it uses the same core as the old 6800GT's and 6800 ultra's. almost all cards unlock, but not all can run it well.
some of the cards can run it well, and some dont and just artifact and croack cause the quad or vertex unit are corrupted physically on the chip. overall its pretty much a 50%-50% chance... (some companies seems to have higher success rates, like BFG and XFX, and some seem to have lower, like powercolor.)

and no, unfortunantly you cant unlock an extra quad and vertex unit on the PCI-E version since it dosent use the older BV40 core, but the newer NV42, which is limited at 12 pipes and 5 vertex units.

abell255

Ok, so i shipped my card out RMA to newegg. I should get that back probably next thursday or so. I've decided that i'm going to order a new PSU anyway, after reading around. I came to find this one was exceptional for the money, and that's exactly what i need now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023

18amp 12v+ rails will suffice, and from the reviews it sounds pretty goood. I'll order that today and put that in probably at the end of this week, and then wait a week for the new card. Smart to RMA it anyway, i'll have a brand spankin new card, which can't hurt. Anyway, i'll keep you guys updated, thanks again for all of your help.

-Austin

abell255

I was just reading about my motherboard i have....
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813135194

If you read the 1st review, a customer states the same battlefield 2 issues i have... obviously i don't fully know the specs of that setup, it just got my wondering if i should send back my motherboard before it's to late? I'll be revieving my power supply tomorrow, and card next week. If that fails, i think i may send the mb back and get a different one if you think that could be an issue.