• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Big Dollars Not Enough? SOPA Support Continues To Wither Away

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The draconian internet censorship bill, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) being lobbied for by wealthy big media corporations (mostly fronted by the RIAA/MPAA, News Corporation and the like) and currently being debated in Congress is still losing support wherever one turns. A week ago, we reported that GoDaddy initially supported it, but soon changed its mind as it immediately began to haemorrhage customers. Now, it turns out that many video games companies are also coming out against it and with no pressure against them required.

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) is the game industry's trade association and stands firmly behind the much-despised bill, which means that the gaming industry as a whole is deemed to support SOPA. However, while some members openly support it, others just won't say so publically and some of its members actively do not support it, having made official statements to this effect. Here are just three of them:

Epic Games (Unreal Tournament, Gears of War) said in a forum post: "Epic Games supports efforts that would stop overseas websites profiting from pirating our games, but we have to do that in a way that's compatible with freedom of speech and due process of law. Thus, we do not support the current version of SOPA."

Trion Games (Rift) said on its forum: "We definitely do not support SOPA. We'll be calling the ESA about this after the holiday weekend."

Mommy's Best (Shoot 1UP, Weapon of Choice) made a call on its blog for ESA members to ask the ESA to reconsider its support: "Hi, so I've put together a simple post pleading with developers and gamers to focus their internet super powers on getting the ESA to drop SOPA support. If They can get the Ocean Marketing guy fired forever, I'm sure They can blow this up as well. I feel like because the ESA is one step removed from direct consumerism, it's not getting the heat like it should be."

As one looks round the internet, one can see that there are many more organizations of all sizes expressing concern with SOPA or are outright against it such as Google, Facebook and Mozilla, makers of Firefox. Therefore, it looks like this dreadful piece of self-serving legislation might yet be stopped in its tracks, despite the huge amount of dollars that these huge media organizations are lobbying governments around the world with.

Also, before a particular game is purchased, one may want to first check if the developer supports SOPA with a quick Google and then decide if they still want to support such an outfit.

Finally, here is a handy article by c|net explaining the ways in which SOPA would affect the ordinary man in the street in practice, should it come to pass.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
Going to buy all 3 GoW games this week. I don't do MMO's, but hey maybe I'll give Rift a shot for a month.

As for the other company, I'll look into it.

Isenstaedt

Epic Games (Unreal Tournament, Gears of War) said in a forum post: "Epic Games supports efforts that would stop overseas websites profiting from pirating our games, but we have to do that in a way that's compatible with freedom of speech and due process of law. Thus, we do not support the current version of SOPA."
It seems more like they're afraid to lose customers if they support SOPA.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Fuck off SOPA, and fuck off NWO ^_^

Trackr

System Name White Phoenix
Processor Intel Core-i7 2600k @ 5.0Ghz 1.45v 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte 'P67'-UD7
Cooling Dual-Fan TRUE (Lapped)
Memory G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 2000Mhz CL9
Video Card(s) nVidia GTX 480 SLi
Storage Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB
Display(s) Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP
Case Antec p190 (Modded)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Silverstone 1000w (Single-Rail)
Software Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit
Anyone feigning support this late in the game is only after one thing.

And it's not maintaining our free internet.

System Name The one under the desk / Media Centre
Processor Xeon X3730@3.6GHZ / Phenom II X4 805E
Motherboard Gigabyte P55M-UD4 / Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Corsair H70 + 2*PWM fan / Arctic Alpine 11
Memory 16GB DRR3-1333 9-9-9-27 / 4GB Crucial DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) Asus DirectCU GTX 680 / Gigabyte 560TI
Storage Kingston V200 128GB, WD6400AAKS, 1TB Seagate 7.2kRPM SSHD / Kingston V200 128GB
Display(s) Samsung 2343BW + Dell Ultrasharp 1600*1200 / 32" TV
Case C'M' Silencio 550 / Some ancient SilverStone brushed aluminium media centre
Audio Device(s) No.
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675W / EVGA 430W
Mouse Mionix Naos 3200 / Generic PS2
Keyboard Roccat Ryos TKL Pro / Evoluent Mouse Friendly Keyboard (Logitech OEM)
Software Windows 7 Ult x64
Benchmark Scores Nah.
Also, before a particular game is purchased, one may want to first check if the developer supports SOPA with a quick Google and then decide if they still want to support such an outfit.

You reading this, world at large? Hmm?

w3b

System Name Black n Blue
Processor Intel Core i7 930 (running at stock)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Memory OCZ PC3-12800 Platinum 3 x 2GB - OCZ3P1600VL6GK
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATi Radeon HD5850 Toxic 1GB (765/1125)
Storage OS: Samsung F3 1TB HD103SJ, Data: 2 x Samsung HD203WI
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2443BW+
Case Antec 1200 [original version]
Audio Device(s) Onboard (Realtek ALC889A)
Power Supply Antec CP 850w PSU [Antec Signature in larger box according to JonnyGuru]
Software MS Win7 SP1 x64 OEM [yes it's legit =P ]
Benchmark Scores No world records here, just a new box I bought after sticking with an Intel P4 socket 478 PC (with n
Down with Corporatocracy

I'd go further and swap game with product and developer with company (ie boycott as many SOPA supporters as possible). This draconian thing will be the bane of all Internet users, regardless of being within the US or otherwise. :shadedshu

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
SOPA is one shape of the heart's many forms (accusing and pursuing "pirates") and ultimately, all publishers in it for money are going to support its heart no matter what form it takes. The only reason why they jumped ship is due to public relations. SOPA has a bad reputation and they don't want their names tied to it. If Congress managed to pass this without all the public backlash, every single one of these corporations would still be supporting it today.

More bills will be written effectively saying the same thing--the same tactics will have to be levied against them. History will repeat.

Google and Facebook opposes legislation like this because if it were to succeed, their own domain names could be targeted (Google is arguably the largest digital copyright violator on Earth due to caching websites and images). Mozilla has always been a proponent of open internet.

Last edited:
W

wahdangun

hahaha this is what i called vote with your wallet :rockout:

don't ever support anyone that support SOPA and please move your domain from GoDady.com

Reactions: w3b