• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bill Gates: Windows 7 May Ship Next Year

BumbRush

I think we should just continue or at least try to this got all sorts of ridiculous..

my apologies if i seemed off character...i have a habit of reacting o something in the same way it was presented ot me.

i wasnt trying to attack you spicificly, i just get sick of the vista fanbois or morons(ppl that think because they dont have any problems that nobody has any problems)

they tell people who have tryed and dont like vista that its their fault they had problems, if you say vista is slow.

they say "get new hardware" when you point out that you have a plenty powerfull rig say a 5600+ x2(2.8gz 2x1mb cache) at 3.3-3.5gz with 4gb ram, they tell you that your wrong or lieing.

i dont call ppl that say "vista runs better for me" liers, tho ever time i see that i think "then they must have had a very bad xp install..."

but i dont tell them when they post that vista is the best ever, telling them that they are liers or that they are stupid.

assuming they are posting it in thier own thred or an unrelated thred where they dont attack anybody who dosnt use/like vista.

well lets all just chill out, and triprift, ofcorse your going to agree with solar, he and you love vista :p

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Nyaah, never mind. He's habituated to calling people "Vistards, NVidiots and the likes" maybe using too much Windows ME made him that. Win ME 'transformed' many people :p

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
lol i love vista but thats not to say i dont know were your coming from i used an athlon XP and a duron once to ;) sry i implied you were trying to attack me if that is not how it was ment than that is not how it will be taken but from the posts prior you have to see my reasoning.

o and to be fair i think trip was talking more generally.

However to be fair to you i used to be a mod now im not...it goes to show i have my moments..

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
I think it is now official that Microsoft clases Vista as the official failure, no doubt big business's refusal to adopt Vista is the main reason why windows 7 is being brought forward.

Notice that he didn't say that a new Windows version will be available to consumers next year. I'm pretty sure that in this context, "we" refers to Microsoft and "having a new version" means they will have the core of the OS written. So I'm reading this statement more as, "Microsoft will start internal alpha-testing on Windows 7 sometime in 2009".

Of course, I'd be happy to be proved wrong :D. XP is getting a bit long in the tooth but it still handles all my needs, and there's no way I'm going to Vista just for DX10 that none of my hardware, and a tiny portion of my software, supports.

I just hope that Microsoft delivers on their original promise with Vista and writes Windows 7 in 100% managed code (.NET Framework). That would be the most stable OS ever released, period.

Oh, for the love of... Please, do not tell me having stuff written in .net is a good thing. So far, almost everything that I can think of, from the acer junk to ati's CCC that runs with .net runs like crap. (Not to mention that it takes up gobs and gobs of memory in XP.)

Joe

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
easy guys...were pulling up from a thread that almost got out of control and though im happy that the personall disagreements are over perhaps we should simply carry on with speculation instead of banter about fanboi'ism and how amazing old OS's are...if we dont pick it up or at least keep it were it is the thread will get closed (and who likes seeing the end to a good thing) or perhaps ppl will get banned..or infracted...i say its all just non sense and theirs no reason to simply not disagree or to argue a popint but we should all including myself try with a little less color so this thread doesnt draw unwanted attention..

BumbRush

Oh, for the love of... Please, do not tell me having stuff written in .net is a good thing. So far, almost everything that I can think of, from the acer junk to ati's CCC that runs with .net runs like crap. (Not to mention that it takes up gobs and gobs of memory in XP.)

Joe

.net isnt bad, but how its used by most companys is, look at stuff like nlite, its .net based, and its very good(a challange anybody to proove its not)

.net like any other language has its good and bad uses/points, unfortunetly most of what u see is the bad side :/

.net is like java, if not done well and properly it sucks ass

BumbRush

lol i love vista but thats not to say i dont know were your coming from i used an athlon XP and a duron once to ;) sry i implied you were trying to attack me if that is not how it was ment than that is not how it will be taken but from the posts prior you have to see my reasoning.

o and to be fair i think trip was talking more generally.

However to be fair to you i used to be a mod now im not...it goes to show i have my moments..

sall good, i have used alot of systems, infact my linux box is an OLD hp 6535 with a celeron 466 and 512mb pc66 ram, (acctualy pc100 but same diff) its amazingly fast with vector soho, infact it rivles my main rig for how fast it pulls stuff up on the screen :) (open office loads faster on it then on windows o_O )

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
sall good, i have used alot of systems, infact my linux box is an OLD hp 6535 with a celeron 466 and 512mb pc66 ram, (acctualy pc100 but same diff) its amazingly fast with vector soho, infact it rivles my main rig for how fast it pulls stuff up on the screen :) (open office loads faster on it then on windows o_O )

i just did a reveiw of elive (installed) on an old 700mhz laptop with 10GB HDD and 128MB ram and it booted way faster than my rig..and i swear gimp loaded in less than 30sec..i had gimp on my rig once and it took prob less than a min but way more than 30sec...it was noticable to say the least :(

BumbRush

Nyaah, never mind. He's habituated to calling people "Vistards, NVidiots and the likes" maybe using too much Windows ME made him that. Win ME 'transformed' many people :p

but your an admited nvidiot(see link below) and clearly newtekie1 is a closit/in dennial one....

sall good, just need people around to balance you out and slap you around when you say nvidia is flawless and dose no wrong(need i bring up the fx line? )

BumbRush

i just did a reveiw of elive (installed) on an old 700mhz laptop with 10GB HDD and 128MB ram and it booted way faster than my rig..and i swear gimp loaded in less than 30sec..i had gimp on my rig once and it took prob less than a min but way more than 30sec...it was noticable to say the least :(

yeah, try VectorSOHO, its sweet for work boxes, vector is slackware based, highly optimized, very stable, and comes with all you really need to do "Small Office Home Office" work, honestly i have been very impressed with its progress since i found it on distro watch a couple years back, its the one distro that could possably get me to dual boot linux on here once the 64bit versions out of beta stages.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
i have vector on a disk someware with like 40 other flavors i should give it a try sometime. not sure if its the SOHO version but maybe hell i dont even remember what version it is anymore its been a few years since i burned it.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
im on it thnx :)

JoJoe

System Name J64
Processor AMD Athlon 7750BE @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard ASRock AOd790GX/128M
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 64
Memory 4Gb Wintec DDR2-800 (4x1Gb)
Video Card(s) ATi Radeon HD 4830
Storage 2 X 320GB Seagate in RAID 0
Display(s) 19" LG Flatron
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Claro
Power Supply 600w Seasonic M12
Software Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit
I hope Win7 does release in 2009 and I hope it is good.

Until then, I'm happy with XP64.

System Name Eric's Battlestation
Processor Core i7 6700k
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S24
Memory Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 32GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Mech 6750 XT
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, Intel 660p 2TB
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Power Supply EVGA G2-XR 80 Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home
These guys gotta be clowning around! Vista is still far from perfect and they want to release another OS? I know they gotta make money, but come on, M$ is killing me! I have Vista on my laptop and honestly I do not think it is a step forward for the business. DX 10 is a joke because the differences in graphics quality are underwhelming and there is also the fact that many games compatible with XP and earlier OS's refuse to work on Vista altogether. Aero is alright, but I don't need a bunch of eye candy on the desktop that sucks up memory. Seriously, if I want it to look pretty I will add a good wallpaper to the desktop, lol! The hard drive indexing slows the whole computer and honestly isn't that useful. Shoot, the only reason I have it is because it is cheaper to buy a laptop with Vista than one with XP right out the box. I just find it disgusting that M$ wants to release another OS when the latest one they have out still has a bunch of kinks to work out. It's just ridiculous.......

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
These guys gotta be clowning around! Vista is still far from perfect and they want to release another OS?

that an only mean that they have accepted defeat and moved on.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
I have yet to find any games that don't work on Vista...at least games that I play...so far ALL of them work just fine. I don't use indexing...hell I'm even using 64-bit Vista atm...and really it's quick and issue free. I've yet to see a BSOD, or any severe issues that I did last year when I tried x86 Ultimate for 7 months...

SP1 seemed to help there, x64 is stable as hell, I think more people should try it out.

But that's also another thing, you should try Vista before you buy Vista if possible...it may not be for you. I don't need Aero...so that gets turned off, and a few other small changes, aside from that it works fine and has treated me well so far since I installed x64 a couple weeks ago or so...it was a test install, but I have no real reason to go back to XP after seeing how well this Vista install is going.

It's gotta be tough to make new technology compatable and crash-free...like many others have said, if you guys were voicing opinions back in the newly released Windows XP days...the pissing and moaning was about the same as it is now about Vista...I can't blame ya, and I can blame MS for not sorting some of those issues out better and more efficiently...so we can hope that Windows 7 works out quite well...but time will tell...and I'm sure it'll have all sorts of issues, incompatabilities and stuff to give the complainers a whole new OS to hate...things do take time even after release to get the final polish and support they need...even modern games aren't bug-free after release, welcome to the modern industry we push harder and harder to get more done faster because "we gotta have it NOW". That's just how it is, and I'm glad XP support is being extended, because after all these years it turned out to be a pretty good OS, and Vista is on it's way in that direction..will it take 7 years? Who knows...

:toast:

System Name beast
Processor 3930K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2011
Memory 16GB Kingston Value DDR3 1333Mhz CL9
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus Elite RTX3060 12GB
Storage 1x 120GB Intel 520 and some spinny bois
Display(s) 3x DELL S2721DGF
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Corsair 750w
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10
i agree with revenas, the os defidently got say too bloated, they put useless shit like the sidebar in it and added dumb services that when u turn off annoyences like uac, services break and stop u from doing things on the os that you should be able to do no matter what, ie: access the control panel.
before i get into the slug fest of vista vs blah blah, pros n cons and all of that jargon. let me say, ive gone through four upgrades since vistas release just so i knew when it came time to switch over, my system wouldnt run well like those 512mb notebooks u see poor unsuspecting customers buying with vista basics on em.
im happy that theirs another os release, now i have the choice of stepping over vista and i know that my specs will not be a worry when i leave the comfort of xp sp2 :)

its a shame that vista has had all these problems, back when i only had a 500mhz celeron pc, to my suprise, the beta of vista ( it was a longhorn beta ) ran far better for me on that machine then my xp sp 1 ever did, so to see the final release come in unnessecary flavors and bloated to the wazoo was a dissapointment, but only made me realise that i needed to stay more current with hardware to be able to use the os. lets hope that the next windows has better compatability with propiretry programs ( like retail apps, ect ) but can stay resource minimal and still provide good security and product support.

anyone heard anything recently on when xp sp3 will be finalised and released?

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
Vista and Windows 7 are very close cousins. Windows Vista is Windows 7 with half of the features pulled. Windows 7 will use NT Kernal 6 possibly 6.0 but not likly. In 2003 Windows Blackcomb had to be broken apart because a few of the goals where not likly at that time. Windows Vista was created at this time to release the stuff that worked, but the OS suffered as the code was split from Blackcomb the original codename, now known as Windows Vienna. So do not expect a revolution expect an evoulution akin to XP over 2000, and anyone with sense can tell you XP and 2000 are the same Core OS, XP just has a few extra features but at the core its the same. Also 2gb is the norm today even in OEM desktops go to wal-mart for instance and look, every single one i looked at said 2gb of ram. Also with intergrated graphics equal to the older 6600 or x700 its looking better and better as this means they can properly handle the 3d interface better, which from the project goals of Blackcomb before the split mention a radical depature from the start menu, if this is true, the only possibilty is a 3d rendered desktop.

IF you remember 2000 had crappy driver support and alot of problems in its infancy with SP2 to 2000 it became the stable OS we know. XP had the same problems but at its core it had the fixes of 2000 SP2 in it making it just as good as 2000, via with more crashes due to problems but the funny part is, every crash i got in XP Gold or XP SP1 was related to something i did, old Windows 98 programs mainly.

But if you expect Windows 7 to replace Vista or replace her, your dead wrong, they are the same OS, Vienna is what Vista was meant to be untill the corprate world and the stock holders wanted to see the tangible early.

System Name The86
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASROCKS B450 Steel Legend
Cooling AMD Stealth
Memory 2x8gb DDR4 3200 Corsair
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage WD Black 512gb, WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24in
Case Raidmax Alpha Prime
Power Supply 700W Thermaltake Smart
Mouse Logitech Mx510
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow 2012
Software Windows 10 Professional
i agree with revenas, the os defidently got say too bloated, they put useless shit like the sidebar in it and added dumb services that when u turn off annoyences like uac, services break and stop u from doing things on the os that you should be able to do no matter what, ie: access the control panel.
before i get into the slug fest of vista vs blah blah, pros n cons and all of that jargon. let me say, ive gone through four upgrades since vistas release just so i knew when it came time to switch over, my system wouldnt run well like those 512mb notebooks u see poor unsuspecting customers buying with vista basics on em.
im happy that theirs another os release, now i have the choice of stepping over vista and i know that my specs will not be a worry when i leave the comfort of xp sp2 :)

its a shame that vista has had all these problems, back when i only had a 500mhz celeron pc, to my suprise, the beta of vista ( it was a longhorn beta ) ran far better for me on that machine then my xp sp 1 ever did, so to see the final release come in unnessecary flavors and bloated to the wazoo was a dissapointment, but only made me realise that i needed to stay more current with hardware to be able to use the os. lets hope that the next windows has better compatability with propiretry programs ( like retail apps, ect ) but can stay resource minimal and still provide good security and product support.

anyone heard anything recently on when xp sp3 will be finalised and released?

Longhorn Beta program, yes those where the good days, but a few things to remember since then. Aero was not active yet, DX10 was not active yet. These both came with Longhorn Beta 2 and if anyone remembers Beta2 they remember the absolute hell of making it run right. Vista Beta 1 build 5319 was the most stable but also lacked Vista, the Kernal version was 5.2 still, Kernal 6 arrived with Beta 2, and if your wondering Kernal 5.2 was built to test Vista on, not run the advanced features. What we are dealing with Vista is the Kernal version and its teething

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
and what os today isnt?

every os today that is bloated compared to the past.

this includes all the most popular linux distrobutions.

they come with shit you dont need/want, most dont let you choose not to install it....blah

mac os comes with crap that i would yank out.

i hope this style of posting is better then earlyer posts.

I disagree, and obviously you haven't used Linux long enough. You note particular things but have yet to back up anything you have said? I can get clean OEM Windows software and still find it to be bloated. You in particular think I'm talking about software.

#1 on Windows bloated list is registry.

spacejunky

Processor Core i7 920 O.C. to 3.2 GHz
Motherboard Asus P6T V2 Deluxe
Cooling air
Memory 6GB Corsair DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 295
Storage Velociraptor + 300GB Mirror
Display(s) Gateway 30" 1600P
Case Antec 900
Power Supply Antec 650 trio
Software Vista 64bit
codename for vista was longhorn

Codename for Vista should have been ME.

I have a dual boot and I like Aero and the new folder browsing and a few other features. I used to like certain aspects of ME like no drivers for USB jump drives and ummm well you get the point. Definitely a stop-gap if you ask me. I see a big performance hit in games but that's about it.

UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
Processor I9 9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Gagabyte z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Nexxxos Nova 1080 + 360 rad
Memory 32Gb Crucial Balliastix RGB 4.4GHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 (Bios and Shunt Modded) 2.17GHz @ 38C
Storage NVME / SSD RAID arrays
Display(s) 38" LG 38GN950-B, 27" BENQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440p, Samsung 27" 3D 1440p
Case Thermaltake Core series
Power Supply 1.6Kw Silverstone
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard Corsair Viper Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro
:shadedshu Learn to read. I never said Vista wasn't good for anything, in fact I'm running it right now as my main and only O.S. It's still the best O.S. that came out of Redmond, IMO, regardless of what some may say. But the Vista that was promised years ago (WinFS etc.) didn't materialize. That was - and still is - a disappointment to many.

I hope, for M$'s own sake, that they will do things right with Windows 7. They have an incredible potential to make revolutionary software, but it only comes when they're under pressure (kind of like Intel, if AMD screws up you get Netburst, if AMD succeeds you get an angry Intel with a kick-ass CPU). Now that the competition is heating up, I'm quite confident that Microsoft can deliver a knock-out punch with its newest O.S. Now I can't wait for 2009! :rockout:

it was not aimed at you, it was a general tone to the thread, and my response thereafter. so plz dont take it as a direct attack. lol

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
BumbRush, the name calling needs to stop all around. You sound a lot like someone else, nevertheless you make good valid points in many cases, but using the colorful adjectives for people should be stopped.