• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BIOS and Windows see 8Gigs, Cpu-z 16

• Thread starter Deleted member 106413
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 106413

So, I have ordered 4 sticks of 4GB each of Corsair Vengeance LP RAM, and used it for about 3 days with no problems at all. Then today they didn't want to boot at 1600Mhz and I had to turn the frequency down to 1333.
I used the pc for a couple of hours trying to find the issue and I got a BSOD. I thought it was a problem of the RAM and so I tried every stick since the system didn't boot with all four of them in their slots.
Strangely enough it booted up every time with every of the four sticks. So I put them all in and it powered on with 16GB of RAM.
The problem is that in the BIOS and in Windows I can see 8gigs of ram, while in CPU-Z it shows 16 of them.
System specs below, I really have no idea what could be the problem.

D

Deleted member 106413

EDIT: I also tried overvolting to 1.65V with no luck.

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
reseat your cpu and cooler,its common with 1156/1155

System Name this_is_so_leet_it_needs_no_name
Processor Intel I5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus P8 P67-M Pro
Cooling MUX-120 with Dual Fan
Memory Samsung Memory DDR3 2133 Overclocked (non LP)
Video Card(s) XFX ATI/AMD 5870 1gb @ [tbc]
Storage 2*2tb Samsung Raid 0 + 64gb Kingston SSD
Display(s) BenQ G2420HDBL LED monitor
Case Lian Li PC-60 old skool alu case
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX/XD PCI-Express (great)
Power Supply Corsair 650 TX
Software Win 7 64bit
I got around this same problem on 1156 by just changing the order of the dimms. strange but true.

D

Deleted member 106413

I got around this same problem on 1156 by just changing the order of the dimms. strange but true.

Eh, I already tried almost every possible combination of DIMM slots, and none worked. Also, I noticed there is no iGPU option in the BIOS (correlated?) and since a couple of hours my mouse does not respond. Maybe they are completely different problems, but I don't know what to do.
EDIT: Solved the mouse issue by rebooting.

Last edited by a moderator:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Issues booting and such either points to the memory being the problem, or the memory controller.

try just two sticks, and see if it is stable. Especially if you bought two kits to get those 4 sticks. It would not be the first time two sets did not like working together.

You'll note that others have already mentinoed the IMC(VCCSA) voltage, if you have it at stock, set it manually to 1.05 V.

D

Deleted member 106413

Issues booting and such either points to the memory being the problem, or the memory controller.

try just two sticks, and see if it is stable. Especially if you bought two kits to get those 4 sticks. It would not be the first time two sets did not like working together.

You'll note that others have already mentinoed the IMC(VCCSA) voltage, if you have it at stock, set it manually to 1.05 V.

The motherboard only detects up to 8192Mb of RAM. It is stable with 1,2,3 or 4 DIMMs on it, but it only recognizes 2 of them apparently.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The motherboard only detects up to 8192Mb of RAM. It is stable with 1,2,3 or 4 DIMMs on it, but it only recognizes 2 of them apparently.

On the POST screen? Like I said, up VCCSA to 1.05 V(is probably around 0.925 or so stock).

You do understand that you saying the board is reporting 8 GB only, and CPU-Z obviously showing different, means that the board does see all sticks? CPU-Z reads that information from the sticks themselves. IF there is inf for each slot on the SPD tab in CPU-Z, then all sticks are recognized(although they might not all be working properly).

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Longshot here but I know in the BIOS of my P67 Sabertooth there is a setting under Advanced/System Agent Configuration called Memory Remap Feature. You could try turning that on/off to see if that makes any difference.
Also does the RAM show the correct amount on the POST screen?

D

Deleted member 106413

On the POST screen? Like I said, up VCCSA to 1.05 V(is probably around 0.925 or so stock).

You do understand that you saying the board is reporting 8 GB only, and CPU-Z obviously showing different, means that the board does see all sticks? CPU-Z reads that information from the sticks themselves. IF there is inf for each slot on the SPD tab in CPU-Z, then all sticks are recognized(although they might not all be working properly).

Set VCCSA to 1.05, no changes. In CPU-z there is information about every DIMM.

Longshot here but I know in the BIOS of my P67 Sabertooth there is a setting under Advanced/System Agent Configuration called Memory Remap Feature. You could try turning that on/off to see if that makes any difference.
Also does the RAM show the correct amount on the POST screen?

Memory Remap is on by default, turning it off shows me in Windows that i have 4GB but only 3.45 are usable. In the BIOS it shows 8192Mb of RAM.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
WEll, then there's the option of mis-seated CPU, or bent pin, or bad contact pad on CPU bottom, or some other hardware-related problem.

None of these problems can anyone here really help ya with. I suggest you contact ASUS directly about the problem.

Really weird that it only says 8192 MB in BIOS. I cna make that happen as well, but only when relly pushing things.

One other idea:

In BIOS, under the "tools" tab is the "ASUS SPD Information" listing, make sure that it says "OK" for each slot there. IF you have a FAT32-formatted USB stick, you can press "F12" to save BIOS screenshots to the USB drive. I'd love to see the ASUS SPD Information pages if possible.

System Name NEW
Processor Intel 4770 non-K
Motherboard Gigabyte H81M-DS2V
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16gb Muskin
Video Card(s) XFX 380X 4gb
Storage Sandisk 120gb plus WD blue 1tb
Display(s) AOC 23.5 LED bl
Case XIGMATEK
Audio Device(s) motherboard
Power Supply Cooler Master 500
Either the memory controller on the CPU lost a channel or the mobo lost a channel.

Try filling just one channel at a time.2 sticks in A then 2 sticks in B channel see what happens

D

Deleted member 106413

WEll, then there's the option of mis-seated CPU, or bent pin, or bad contact pad on CPU bottom, or some other hardware-related problem.

None of these problems can anyone here really help ya with. I suggest you contact ASUS directly about the problem.

Really weird that it only says 8192 MB in BIOS. I cna make that happen as well, but only when relly pushing things.

One other idea:

In BIOS, under the "tools" tab is the "ASUS SPD Information" listing, make sure that it says "OK" for each slot there. IF you have a FAT32-formatted USB stick, you can press "F12" to save BIOS screenshots to the USB drive. I'd love to see the ASUS SPD Information pages if possible.

There you go, everything seems fine and actually the motherboard seems to detect the 4 DIMM:

Attachments

• 120625231545.zip
    891.4 KB · Views: 531

cadaveca

My name is Dave
There you go, everything seems fine and actually the motherboard seems to detect the 4 DIMM:

OK, so then we are left looknig at Windows for the srouce of the problem, perhaps?

If you cna get into windows, type "msconfig" into the run bar, and press enter. THis screen will popup(although I hit the "BOOT" tab first):

msconfig.jpg

Check and make sure that the advanced options are set like in the image( advanced options accessible by hitting the advanced options button you see in this pic).

Obviously the most important bit there is the "maximum memory" setting.

D

Deleted member 106413

OK, so then we are left looknig at Windows for the srouce of the problem, perhaps?

If you cna get into windows, type "msconfig" into the run bar, and press enter. THis screen will popup(although I hit the "BOOT" tab first):

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47575&stc=1&d=1340663370

Check and make sure that the advanced options are set like in the image( advanced options accessible by hitting the advanced options button you see in this pic).

Obviously the most important bit there is the "maximum memory" setting.

My settings are the same as yours. One thing, Windows says my memory is 8GB but the BIOS too. So I guess it's a problem of the motherboard?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
My settings are the same as yours. One thing, Windows says my memory is 8GB but the BIOS too. So I guess it's a problem of the motherboard?

I'm not sure. It's very odd that the BIOS does recognize all 4 sticks(via the SPD info tool), but doesn't seem to be addressing them properly. I'd definitely contact ASUS about it, and see what they have to say.

If you can install just one stick, and it is properly recognized, you may also want to consider updating the board's BIOS if you do nto have the most recent. The last three BIOS updates for the P8Z77-V and am working on now all mention improvements to memory compatibility. I checked your SAbertooth, and it is the same, with the most recent BIOS listing (1206) as from June 8th, just a couple of weeks ago.

Sabertooth page here:

http://ca.asus.com/en/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_Z77/#download

If you cannot get a single stick working right, you can use the USB BIOS FlashBack method to flash the BIOS, which works with no memory installed. Directions of how to do that are included with the BIOS download, in PDF format.

D

Deleted member 106413

I'm not sure. It's very odd that the BIOS does recognize all 4 sticks(via the SPD info tool), but doesn't seem to be addressing them properly. I'd definitely contact ASUS about it, and see what they have to say.

If you can install just one stick, and it is properly recognized, you may also want to consider updating the board's BIOS if you do nto have the most recent. The last three BIOS updates for the P8Z77-V and am working on now all mention improvements to memory compatibility. I checked your SAbertooth, and it is the same, with the most recent BIOS listing (1206) as from June 8th, just a couple of weeks ago.

Sabertooth page here:

Yeah, the BIOS is updated, but now that I think about it, I remember the RAM working with a previous BIOS update. I could try to downgrade and then contact ASUS. I'll definetly try that tomorrow, thanks for the tips^^

D

Deleted member 106413

Sabertooth page here:

If you cannot get a single stick working right, you can use the USB BIOS FlashBack method to flash the BIOS, which works with no memory installed. Directions of how to do that are included with the BIOS download, in PDF format.

I tried downgrading and it didn't work. I'm out of ideas right now...

Software Win 7 64bit
Just wanted to chime in. I had a problem where only 1 stick was used by windows but 2 visible in cpu-z out of 4 slots. 1156 again. Windows resource monitor physical memory bar chart also showed 8gb total but (i think) 4gb hardware reserved.

See if your windows resource monitor (win7) shows the same?

D

Deleted member 106413

Just wanted to chime in. I had a problem where only 1 stick was used by windows but 2 visible in cpu-z out of 4 slots. 1156 again. Windows resource monitor physical memory bar chart also showed 8gb total but (i think) 4gb hardware reserved.

See if your windows resource monitor (win7) shows the same?

You mean this one?

Software Win 7 64bit
Ok! something else is going on there then! good luck...

Same issue with my P8Z77-V Pro. I also lost the ability to change the turbo ratio with the 1206 BIOS update so I'm guessing it's related.

I know Asus support told me a future BIOS update would fix the Turbo Ratio issue so I'm thinking it could fix this too.