• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bios corrupted, CPU downclocking under load??

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
XTU didnt show it, neither does hwinfo. Where are you seeing its past tcase? Typically we see core/tmax temps, not tcase....

that wasnt at idle... looking at minimum cpu loads. ;)

look at xtu... it says it there if he scrolls down in the monitoring part of xtu. Hwinfo shows none as well. Though, i suppose it doesnt hurt to try that either.

software readings are not always reliable, simple as that - it can be as simple as there being a temp sensor in only one of the two VRM heatsinks.

This threads pretty much narrowed it down to a thermal based throttle, its just a tossup at this stage if its the CPU or VRMs

System Name The Tesseract Cube
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI X570A-PRO
Cooling DeepCool Maelstrom 240mm, 2 X DeepCool TF120S (radiator fans), 4 X DeepCool RF120 (case fans)
Memory 2 x 16gb Kingston HyperX 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 Nitro + 16GB
Storage Corsair MP400 G3 1TB, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Display(s) MSI MAG241C Full HD, 144hz FreeSync
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55
Audio Device(s) MB Integrated, Sound Blaster Play 3 (Headset)
Power Supply Corsair CX650M Modular 80+ Bronze
Mouse Corsair Dark Core Pro Wirless RGB
Keyboard MSI GK30 Mecha-Membrane
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores CPUZ: Single Thread - 510 Multi Thread - 4.050 Cinebench R20: CPU - 3 500 score
Ok so I'm back, and I've been doing some testing, and ill explain what i did and what settings I used:
1. XMP profile with RAM bumped up to 1866mhz.
2. Turbo Boost disabled (with SpeedStep, C1 and CStates disabled as well), (keep this in mind)
3. CPU tested with Bus Speed of 156, and with 3 different multipliers: x18, x20, x22
4. Voltage set to 1.225V fix, to avoid stability issues

Results:
Test 1: 2.8ghz, x18 multiplier

Test 2.8Ghz.png

Passed with good temps, good numbers, not downclocking.

Test 2: 3.1Ghz, x20 multiplier

Test 3.1Ghz.png

Ok, so it passed there as well, a little warmer but no downclocks or anything.

Test 3: 3.4ghz, x22 multiplier

Test 3.4Ghz.png

OK so obviously you can see it downclocked, BUT WTF is that in the corner of Intel XTU?? Turbo Boost Enabled?? How come?? I clearly just changed the Multiplier in BIOS to x22.
What do you make of this now?

Ok, i think i figured it out:
I did another test:
This time, i set Bus Speed to 187, Multiplier to x19, and i got a Base Clock of 3.5Ghz on the CPU and:

Test 3.5Ghz.png

There it is, not downclocking, Turbo is disabled.

I think that last x22 Multiplier somehow triggers the Turbo on the BIOS to be enabled, since the highest Multiplier is, the Max Turbo Speed on Locked CPUs.

Your thoughts on this?

Gonna try 1 more test with 21 Multiplier and see what becomes of it.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
So as I said, Turbo boost TDP/TDC envelope triggers downclocking.

You can overclock with Turbo, SpeedStep, C-States by using offset voltage, you just need to increase TDP/TDC, if you don't have such option in the BIOS, you can use 3rd party software ThrottleStop to do so.

The other option is to ensure Turbo stays off, try this: reset BIOS to default settings, save & exit, enter BIOS, disable Turbo, save & exit, enter BIOS and configure the system.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Please for the love of pete follow what we are asking. The bottom of the xtu screen has other options there for throttling besides temps. There is current and power limits. Once we see what is doing it, you can raise that value and stop the throttling....or just listen to Regen.

@Reeves81x - We confirmed it isnt temperature/tc/tj related at least since hes throttling well below tcase, yes?

Edit: @Mussels
software readings are not always reliable, simple as that - it can be as simple as there being a temp sensor in only one of the two VRM heatsinks.

This threads pretty much narrowed it down to a thermal based throttle, its just a tossup at this stage if its the CPU or VRMs
Temps are more accurate closer to tjmax than idle. Again, doesnt matter so much if they are accurate or not. If the system thinks its 73c and throttling as was speculated earlier, it should throttle. Though, those vrms... if the OP would kindly show xtu screenshots with throttling reasons, maybe we can get tot he bottom of it.

I didnt think this was a temp issue and the above screens seem to confirm that (for cpu) as he throttled well under 73C. Seems to me its either current limit or power limit related. If fillip can test as i suggested or set things like regen said, chances are the problem is gone.

Last edited:
Cooling DeepCool Maelstrom 240mm, 2 X DeepCool TF120S (radiator fans), 4 X DeepCool RF120 (case fans)
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores CPUZ: Single Thread - 510 Multi Thread - 4.050 Cinebench R20: CPU - 3 500 score
Final settings:
CPU: 3.1Ghz, 156 bus speed, x19 multiplier.

Idk what to say at this point, my I5 750 althow same architecture and same tcase temp (72.7 as sugested by Intel) could clock higher and keep higher temps (in the 80s) without downclocking.

Im starting to guess my board is going to toast itself, so OC is lowered to 3.1Ghz with 1.2V VCore and ill run it like this.
Just played PUBG with these settings, and no fps drops, no downclocking, nothing, so i guess this is done, but i still need to inspect the board, and do CMOS reset, flash to an older bios and see where i get with that.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
If throttling occurs even without turbo boost on other CPUs, its possible your Xeon CPUID is not listed correctly in the BIOS' thermal protection table. Again, I recommend that you try ThrottleStop. Maximum Tcase temperature for Xeon 3470 is 72.7c (around 80c for core temperature).

Final settings:
CPU: 3.1Ghz, 156 bus speed, x19 multiplier.

Idk what to say at this point, my I5 750 althow same architecture and same tcase temp (72.7 as sugested by Intel) could clock higher and keep higher temps (in the 80s) without downclocking.

Im starting to guess my board is going to toast itself, so OC is lowered to 3.1Ghz with 1.2V VCore and ill run it like this.
Just played PUBG with these settings, and no fps drops, no downclocking, nothing, so i guess this is done, but i still need to inspect the board, and do CMOS reset, flash to an older bios and see where i get with that.
And we still have no clue what exactly the issue is.

If you don't want a root cause and simply apply a bandaid, that is your choice though... :)

I feel like so much time was wasted with suggestions of which none(few?) were tried and no information given. Makes users not want to help honestly....next time, if you aren't going to listen and follow the advice you asked for, I would say do it yourself and not waste everyone's time. :(

EDIT: Sorry to be a jerk about it... its just annoying spending free time helping people that go off and do their own thing seemingly ignoring many requests for information and potential solutions.

EDIT2: Regardless, I am glad you found a solution that works for you.

Last edited:

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
And we still have no clue what exactly the issue is.

If you don't want a root cause and simply apply a bandaid, that is your choice though... :)

I feel like so much time was wasted with suggestions of which none(few?) were tried and no information given. Makes users not want to help honestly....next time, if you aren't going to listen and follow the advice you asked for, I would say do it yourself and not waste everyone's time. :(

EDIT: Sorry to be a jerk about it... its just annoying spending free time helping people that go off and do their own thing seemingly ignoring many requests for information and potential solutions.

EDIT2: Regardless, I am glad you found a solution that works for you.

The HT less i5's use a butt ton less power so the issue is the VRM's like I said two pages ago.

Oh, that has been confirmed? I was trying to confirm what it was by using XTU, either Current or VRM throttling...

If the I5's use a 'butt ton' less power, why do you still think its the VRMs?

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Oh, that has been confirmed? I was trying to confirm what it was by using XTU, either Current or VRM throttling...

If the I5's use a 'butt ton' less power, why do you still think its the VRMs?

If it doesn't throttle as badly with the i5 then it is a power issue. I had this issue with my better H55 4 phase vrm setup. HT on the Xeon would throttle, HT off it ran full clocks. Would be the same difference between i5 vs his old chip, no idea why he swapped it and didn't just disable HT for the same affect.

Perhaps I missed a post where he said he swapped CPUs and THEN this started happening? I was under the impression the xeon worked fine for a time and now suddenly, well after w/e processor swap you said happened, its throttling.

Again, I've already spent way too much time in this thread only to have the OP go his own way and find nothing but a workaround...

System Name Old Old Old.
Processor AMD X2 5200+ 2.6Ghz @5665+ 2.83GHz 1.4v
Motherboard ASUS M2NPV-VM
Memory Corsair XMS2 PC6400 Dual channel 1GBx2 CL5-5-5-15-20 @ 944MHz DDR2
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 2600XT 256MB core@857MHz ram@1179MHz GDDR4
Storage alot of 'em
Display(s) ASUS 23" VC239H 1920x1080 IPS 5ms
Audio Device(s) Diamond 5.1
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 400w dual rail
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Logitech G11
yep, back to my first page reply if it's not throttling due to temp then its vrm. No real resolution tho, so as Earthdog says, kind of a waste of time for us... But glad you found your own workaround. :toast:

If only there were tests he can run which would show everyone EXACTLY what the issue is........................................................................................

Case DeepCool Matrexx 55
Software Windows 10 Pro
Believe me, im still clueless as to what the hell is going on with this system, i truly am, and as iritating as it can be, i just didnt want to waste anymore time going back and forth with you guys.
You were so much helpfull in getting the final workaround on this issue.
Now ill have to do some work around this tower, it is time to clean it, and change paste, so i guess ill see where it gets since it is getting old, and will serve as a local server in the near future.

Believe me, im still clueless as to what the hell is going on with this system, i truly am,
Following instructions to the advice given would be the way to find the answer....at least more efficient than going off on your own to find a workaround while others are still trying to help find the root cause and resolve the issue. ;)

derp.jpg

All you need to do is simply run a stress test while XTU is open and look at the bottom for the reasons. As I said earlier, in your screenshots we only see thermal throttling listed, below that are the other options we want to see. ;)

Case DeepCool Matrexx 55
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ok so a little diging around the trusted Internet told me that Intel XTU only works with Core Gen 2 or above for the readings so basicly i cant tell you anything besides temp and usage.

Oh man.... really???? It didnt show anything when it throttled?

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
XTU won't show TDP throttling on 1st generation i7. Same throttling happened to me on ASUS P6T with Turbo boost enabled.

The trick is to turn Turbo off, or use modified BIOS, or 3rd party software to increase the limits.