• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BIOS Flash doesnt work (be prepared for the worst)

sackynut

Okat first off, I would like as much help as possible. You do not understand how angry I am getting from this. I REALLY REALLY appriciate any help given. This is a hard topic.
Where to start:
well i have 4x512 sticks of Corsair XMS RAM in dual channel
an amd athlon 64 3200+ processer
an Albatron K8sli motherboard with the 1.07bios, upgraded from 1.01. and windows xp with SP2 (and not too many updates after I got SP2).
also the nforce 6.7 chipset drivers.
Note before you read: Albatron support is almost non existent.
http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/i...asp?pro_id=190
I looked on the albatron k8sli homepage and saw there were many BIOS updates for my K8sli motherboard. Some of them supported new E6 stepping CPU's, others support problems at boot, temp problems, and my favorite, a BIOS update to support DUAL CORE PROCESSERS!
I wasnt really having many problems with my BIOS and overclocking or anything, but I was thinking about going dual core in the near future, and I really dont have the cash to get a new motherboard that supports x2 processers. I wanted to keep my k8sli A. because I like it and B. because I well, cant afford a new mobo if I buy a dual core processer.
So I figured I could flash the BIOS (which throughout the story I do the right way, so nothing wrong with it) to support dual core.
So I downloaded the newest (1.12) bios and flashed. loaded default bios settings and went past POST. I saw many new feautres, such as how many CPUs I had were detected (it said one of course). When It got past post, as it was about to start loading windows, I got a crash and Blue Screen of Death with this error "0x0000007B (0xF88BA528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)". I tried many different bios settings to make it work, I restarted much and nothing worked. It kept blue screening before windows boot.
So I flash back down to the original BIOS and it worked, loaded windows normally!.
I tried flashing to other BIOS's to support dual core, but not support the other things, such as BIOS version 1.08, 1.07, 1.10, 1.11. the ONLY one that worked was the 1.07 which really doesnt do much from the original (1.01) except change RAM settings, so its no good. Every other single BIOS crashed and blue screened right after POST. And the Crashing starts from the first BIOS that supports dual core (1.08). I even tried taking out 3 sticks of ram and running only one, I tried fidiling with RAM timings, even raising CPU voltage somewhat. Nothing worked at all. So I just flashed back down again.
I have read numerous stories on this issue seaching for an answer here are some different cases I have heard of:
-- Could not overclock until BIOS was updated to 1.12 (using an fx-53 CPU)
-- Flashed to 1.12 perfectly (do not know if it was before or after windows install)
-- same problem as me.
I have also posted on a few other forums with no real help. I have even tried uninstalling my drivers, and then flashing in hopes that maybe some drivers were causing the problems.
I really want to go Dual Core soon, but cant get a new mobo, and would Like to just use this one. but I want to be assured that it will work.

Any other information I will be happy to provide!! I really need help no matter how much work or time it takes! Thank you for anyone who read this, and anyone who tried to help.

I have tried the drivers that came with the mobo and everything.

I do not want to sound like a stupid kid, or someone begging for help, but I have been to many forums, every single crack and crevice on albatron's website, and cant find anything.
PS: on a side note, are you supposed to flash before installing windows? I have windows xp with SP2 installed. I have not tried using the disk to repair anything yet, but can.

Thank you to anyone who helps or at least tries.

POGE

Processor Turion 64 ML-34 1.8Ghz
Motherboard Compaq Laptop Mobo
Cooling Stock Compaq Laptop Fan
Memory 1x 256 DDR333
Video Card(s) Radeon 200m
Storage 40GB 5200RPM HP
Display(s) Stock Laptop LCD
Case Laptop Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Stock Laptop Powerbrick
Software Windows XP Pro
Welcome to the forums. That was a long read. ;) Sounds like your windows install doesnt like the change of bios. Heres what I would do, and it may fix your issue:

1. Backup any important data.
2. Flash to the bios that you want, and want to stick with.
3. Reinstall windows with a clean install.

I'll bet that fixes it. Goodluck, if you have any more questions just ask. :)

sackynut

Okay will Do. Thank you for the quick response and everything.

Though I would like to mention. I read somewhere on another forum (the thread was closed and he never got his problem solved) that he had the same specs and same problem as me. He said he tried reinstalling windows, and at some point it crashed on him and wouldnt let him continue. It just kept crashing.

On that note I have two options.

1. do as you said, backup my data and freshly install windows (which would either A. work, or B. not work and I would flash back down to the working BIOS and make it work.) in where I would have to reinstall my programs.

or
2. unplug the hard drive everything is on. take an old HD i have laying around, format it,and install windows on the old HD with the new BIOS and see if it works. If it doesnt, I hook up the old one, and find another solution. if it does, I hook up the old one and do a fresh install.

POGE

Processor Turion 64 ML-34 1.8Ghz
Motherboard Compaq Laptop Mobo
Cooling Stock Compaq Laptop Fan
Memory 1x 256 DDR333
Video Card(s) Radeon 200m
Storage 40GB 5200RPM HP
Display(s) Stock Laptop LCD
Case Laptop Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Stock Laptop Powerbrick
Software Windows XP Pro
Go for 2 if you've got a lot of data. :)

Yea i second what he said, go for two. it should work who knows but hey atleast if you try you will be a bit closer to sloving your prob. Good Luck!

sackynut

hmm I thought of another alternative, what about using the Repair function on the windows CD, so i dont have to go through all that reformat business... would that work by any chance? (my cd is SP1, and I have SP2, though I heard it doesnt mean much)

System Name MONEY PIT
Processor i7-3770K @ 4800 1.20v batch #3231B415 Delided
Motherboard ASrock Z77 OC Formula w onboard waterblocks
Cooling Apogee HD, MCP655,rad MCR320-XP,Micro Rev2 res
Memory G,skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Storage 2x120gig Wildfire raid0 2x120gig VERTEX3 raid0
Display(s) 3/ Samsung2343bwx + 65in LG 4K
Case NZXT Phantom White w/red
Audio Device(s) ReCon3d fatal1ty pro, Logitech z906 THX
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse Rat7
Software 64bit ++++ win 10
if the 1.12 bios is still in beta it mabe bios it self if the last working bio for your board was 1.07 [as the above read implies } & 1.08 & up support duel core must be conflict between bios config and what windows sees = blue screen 'o' death suggestion #2 above is a good 1st try [will confirm if it is conflict or not for sure] or if works show prob with current hdd if # 2 above will not work suggest you run with 1.07 and save$$ for new MB &CPU

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
sackynut said:
hmm I thought of another alternative, what about using the Repair function on the windows CD, so i dont have to go through all that reformat business... would that work by any chance? (my cd is SP1, and I have SP2, though I heard it doesnt mean much)

I'd recommend AGAINST doing a repair reinstall as this can easily lead to problems with drivers and registry ect. Its main function (for me) is when trying to recover a failed system to get my files.

System Name MONEY PIT
Processor i7-3770K @ 4800 1.20v batch #3231B415 Delided
Motherboard ASrock Z77 OC Formula w onboard waterblocks
Cooling Apogee HD, MCP655,rad MCR320-XP,Micro Rev2 res
Memory G,skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Storage 2x120gig Wildfire raid0 2x120gig VERTEX3 raid0
Display(s) 3/ Samsung2343bwx + 65in LG 4K
Case NZXT Phantom White w/red
Audio Device(s) ReCon3d fatal1ty pro, Logitech z906 THX
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse Rat7
Software 64bit ++++ win 10
Repair install will not fix this [" Its main function (for me) is when trying to recover a failed system to get my files." ] sys files only This is hardware/config prob