• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BIOS flash of exactly the same card results in fan going crazy

djorkaef

Dear,

I am mining monero on 2x MSI 750ti gaming oc 2GB card.
The boxes look identical, the cards look identical except some very small thing like the screwhole of the cooler looks not 100% the same.

Now they both run 275H/s, they both are overclocked the same using msi afterburner, but 1 card is consuming 52% TDP and 38degC and the other 58% TDP and 60degC (and a higher fan speed). It is consuming 10 Watt more to do the same thing, which is 33%

Now the "bad performing card" had an older BIOS 82.07.55.00.12 and good card has a newer bios 82.17.55.00.AA.

So the first thing I did was flash the old BIOS with the latest BIOS, with is 82.07.84.00.3b. This did not give a PCI subsystem mismatch error, but it also did not provide any better results.

Next, I flashed the card with the .AA firmware downloaded from the website, the same as the other card has. This time I did get a PCI Subsystem mismatch error, that I ignored. Now, the fan started spinning like crazy. I reflashed with the extracted flashfile from the good card (also .AA), but the result was still the crazy fan. So I flashed again to the original firmware of that card, and now the fans are fine again both 1 card consumes 33% more power to do the same mining.

Is this expected behavior? Could these cards be different inside? Or is it more like a malfunctioning component? Nothing else do to here? Thanks in advance.

djorkaef

YEsterday I flashed my gtx 970 with the latest gpu bios, and that also started 100% fan speed after a reboot. I must be doing something wrong.