• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BIOS Freezes before POST completes - high end PC problem.

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
My specs should be clear. (right side)

I have AWARD bios as you can see , and recently i have lockups at boot , not re-boot , but only a boot from power off. (hard-(re)boot)

It detects my CPU and MOBO and BIOS version , but it doesn't go on , HDD stops (if it even starts?) , Keybord doesn't even lit up , and the system is not responding in bios (pre-post)

When it's going to fail is before "memory testing" , if it doesn't display that like 0.5 secs after detecting CPU and Mobo then it will lock up , I have no idea what the heck is going around the PC is super stable as i fixed and upgraded ram and it works fine everything is spotless , but i have not tested with memtest since June 2010 (latest format) i think that's fairly early so ... can't be breaking something that fast.

Maybe something got damaged ? bios chip it self ? there are no beep errors , i think , i think only one beep before it even finishes post , yes i have one beep always when the PC starts POST. (first screen)

If it displays "Memory testing XXXXXXX" then it will do the rest and CMOS was never erased. I didn't tried flashing or CLR_CMOS , the last time i flashed was like early 2010 .. the time when F14 bios version came out for my mobo.

However , i recall now , something , interesting , This probably started after i installed the stupid Ad-Aware from Lavasoft , this program is totally broken as far as im concerned , i had to manuall delete bootexecutes about some "lsdelete autocheck" crap that started before windows. The program wasn't what it used to be , now it finds nothing , it's a stupid UI , it lags on a high end machine , and it has 20 of it's processes opened , it's like a freaking virus.

The only thing currently to boot is for me to reset the PC multiple times , i had to do it just twice or three times (hard-reboot doesn't help) , i took the PC for cleaning today (that includes taking it downstairs and out to the yard and blowing it with an industrial 400volt air compressor :cool:) - it was cold today , like -2 Celsius , (apart from last week) , but i keept it to get used to room temperature for like an hour when i finished , i also kept sure that i din't spin the fans to much as it was noted it works like a dinamo (generating charge and going reverse) and makes electricity which would be harmful to components.

---- I don't really know what to listen , the 3DGAMEMAN says it's good to keep the POWER PLUG inside the PSU when working with PC , but the manuals from gigabyte says always disconnect and power off anything completely , 3DGM was referring to the grounding of the PSU (EU: the extra 2 bended wires seen around the plug) - i don't reallly know what to do anyways , is it better to have it plugged in when spinning the fans manually so the charge would go into the psu and ground before going to the PC components ?

That actually didn't cause the bios freezing problem , it couldn't , this started happening like amonth ago and i didn't cleaned it from the last time i finished setting up the new format (september 2010)

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
sounds like your memmory is on its way out try single stick or diff memmory thats first to try also could be your power supply extremely long post dude i had to stop for a brew:)

psu plugged in but switched hard switched at back off then its not live but grounded tho dont be opening the psu up it will have a few live bits

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
sounds like your memmory is on its way out try single stick or diff memmory thats first to try also could be your power supply extremely long post dude i had to stop for a brew:)

psu plugged in but switched hard switched at back off then its not live but grounded tho dont be opening the psu up it will have a few live bits

I think my PSU Discharges completely when i turn it off , since i don't have the momentairly turn up unlike another PC has who does not have enermax PSU. ... i guess that's a feature.

But these are top line corsair dominators , i can't believe they could be dying from less than a year of use , the 2x2 GB are mere a few months old , while 2x1GB are like 10 months. I did suspect that of course but you know i was trying to hope that it wasn't , no please no!

Last edited:
System Name Zen2600
Processor Ryzen 2600
Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro MAX
Cooling Captain120EX
Memory 2x8 GB Patriot Viper Steel 360000 @3400MHz [18-19-19-39-80] DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro+ @stock
Storage WD Black 500GB NVME
Display(s) LG 32GK850F
Case NZXT H440 EnvyUS
Audio Device(s) Custom HP AMP + Sennheiser HD380
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 650w
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard ElE Game1
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit

+1 If you have switch at back, switch it off, but don't unplug the cord. Then it will still be grounded.

is it better to have it plugged in when spinning the fans manually so the charge would go into the psu and ground before going to the PC components ?

Charge from manually spinning fans could still damage components. It's better to unplug all fans before cleaning with compressor.

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
OH no

My Dominators got broken , the problem is so small , so tiny one bit , but the error count is like above 60 and i only got 44% throughout the memtest

The problem is not affecting the machine when running or gaming, these rams are top DDR2 rams but i guess , it's just a mix of bad settings and all but i don't think so everthing was wrong,

It's a relief the MOBO isn't to blame it's 3 years old and i don't have a warranty for that , but i do have for all the ram.

The EPP1 is different than the information shown on the sticker

(im running them on 800 but they are 1066 certified , i was having automatic clocks , and manual voltage control set to normal , they were on 5-5-5-18 i think )

Total 6 GB , the error is fairly unnoticable in gaming as i sad , nothing happens , it's just when i BOOT the computer , it seems like it needs some time to "warm up" before i get a pass , i rebooted it 3 times yesterday , i got a BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR , so basically it downgraded/backuped to F9 bios version (but the settings remained the same)

Today , i rebooted it 10 times before i got a pass , when i finnaly got into the bios i started memtest and it was a flood of errors at the start , all happening in a super small bit range throughout the whole test , about more than 62 of them. ex. " Err-Bits 0000000001 " , i didn't even test to 100% , i will revise settings i hope i get them right but i don't see a problem other than small overvoltage becasue the STUPID BIOS doesn't provide NEGATIVE voltage change ; WHY ????? , Why am i forced to set lower clocks when lowering frequency with lowest voltage.

The address was limited to only one , so THANK GOD ONLY ONE STICK , but i don't have idea which stick yet , the 1 GB or 2 GB stick ? , :(

Basically i set it to JEDEC 2 , but i manualized everything , i think i don't know , or didn't knew how to get automated JEDEC/EPP settings out of bios , i think i realized , i need to set manual frequency , and then put everything else on auto and it will set for which frequency ends up matching JEDEC/EPP , but it wasn't set like it. "System voltage not optimized* was blinking as usual , but i disregarded it because i wanted to set loadline calibration to disabled since you can't set that if you have set voltage control on Auto , no F14 BIOS is the newest but it doesn't fix this.

The F9 bios is old and the only problem with it is the CPU FINE MULTIPLIER bug where it doesn't register the +.5 ratio so my CPU frequency is lower than stock at 2.33 instead of 2.50mhz , that's not even a problem get's fixed after bios update.

I am going to test each stick now , ill get back when i identify it and i will test a working one to see bios boot behavitor , i REALLY hope it's not the mobo failing, that's probably the user's worst fears.

But you know what , if i had Sys Voltage on MANUAL , and every sub option on NORMAL , it was the same voltage for ram and other stuff as having AUTO , so ... really , that's why i disregarded the flashing warning. Still i can't find anything really wrong with my settings.

I can't believe these dominators can be broken so quicky , but i guess this speaks quality ,the error were a lot but it was so small address that it doesn't make a difference in operationability/stability ... it's just the bios that has the problem with it , weird , brother had a pair of 1GB good working Crucial's also top line performance and quality , but for some reason they DIED so hard one day (over-the-night) they can't be tested, they can't be ran , the (other one) PC will not boot with them anymore.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
Use the most recent Bios and run only one memory bank/stick at a time while running memtest.

See: theoneandonlymrk advice above. Of course you don't know which stick is bad.

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
A weirdness is confirmed:

The ram needs 2 minute warm up before it can pass bios test , reboots don't matter , sleep/S3 standby works because the ram is powered an thus warmed up.

Is this showing the awesome resilience of dominators ? Even if they fail , they don't fail like other's , for example the old ram had 2 MB failed address range , how can this be 1 bit , priceless.

I can still work with the PC , everything , same as before, but im definitely replacing them cause i still have warranty.

Also , nothing's 100% superworking , it's an interesting thing but still everything can fail , it's just impossible to make 100% working, so , this is just not enough to say corsair is bad. not at all.